Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Be honest, would the garden put you off this house?

(108 Posts)

just wondered if it seems a bit prison exercise yard?

Ideal house in good location but it's very enclosed at the back and I'm not great at spotting potential to 'cheer up'

hiddenhome Mon 01-Sep-14 20:43:43

Yes, it would totally put me off. I suppose you could have it restored to being a garden.

justmuddlingalong Mon 01-Sep-14 20:43:51

It wouldn't bother me. It's enclosed and a fine size. Imagine it with lots of pots and containers full of flowers. It could be lovely.

50KnockingonabiT Mon 01-Sep-14 20:44:19

Nope, if the house fits your criteria, get a gardener in to sort out the outside.

It's a bit clinical and those chippings would be a magnet for kidssmile

littlewhitebag Mon 01-Sep-14 20:44:24

The house is lovely but the garden is certainly a little bleak. It depends if gardening is your thing or not? If not then you could use pots, planters and hanging baskets to cheer things up.

Areallthegoodnamestaken Mon 01-Sep-14 20:44:32

Yes it would, I'm afraid. Unless you can find out now whether it would be possible to re-lay with grass - would make a world of difference.

No, it wouldn't bother me. If you like the rest of the house you can do some work on the garden.

MilkThistle187 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:45:17

It's a good size and with a bit of creative gardening it could be lovely

Gardening is not my thing at all.

But there are fields behind the huge wall but the wall is so high, there is no view!

MrsBungle Mon 01-Sep-14 20:46:33

It would put me off but of it's ideal in every other way then the garden can be sorted - although it looks a big job.

Smilesandpiles Mon 01-Sep-14 20:47:07

Not at all.

It's private and has loads of potential. You can do some amazing things with that wall - just look on pinterest.

Olaffles Mon 01-Sep-14 20:47:18

No, you could make that look really lovely. The house is fab, so it wouldn't put me off at all.

BalconyBill Mon 01-Sep-14 20:47:20

The real question is whether it is big enough for what you want to do in it! Anything else can be changed. You could paint the walls, grow climbers up them, replace the gravel with grass, make flower beds, grows plants in tubs...Up to you what you do.

I was looking at the house and couldn't work out why it felt so cold and then realised - there are no pictures on the walls other than those two monochrome thing in the sitting room sad.

What you do with the garden? confused

littlewhitebag Mon 01-Sep-14 20:47:56

Does the wall have to be there? Can it be removed and a lower fence erected so you can see the view?

INeedSomeHelp Mon 01-Sep-14 20:47:57

If you painted the walls a light colour (cream or white) you could then attach trellis to them and have plants growing up the walls. You could add borders and have them planted up - maybe raised ones as that would reduce the amount of wall on show.
You could go the whole hog and get lawn put down instead.

MairzyDoats Mon 01-Sep-14 20:48:07

It could be a gorgeous courtyard garden, with a little bit of imagination and effort.

306235388 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:48:17

Not if everything else was perfect and I had enough cash to get it turfed and paint the walls etc. would be worth finding out if it's gravel for a reason though, eg: is grass soggy because of bad drainage?

Flumpf Mon 01-Sep-14 20:48:19

It's a nice house, you could just change the garden. I wish there were some houses here for that sort of price.

BalconyBill Mon 01-Sep-14 20:48:35

Could you knock the wall down if there is view to be had?

gamerchick Mon 01-Sep-14 20:48:52

Enclosed space like that? Not a chance. . You could paint a lovely mural on those walls grin

Buttercup27 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:50:10

You could turn the wall into a living wall ! That garden is an ultimate blank canvas! Go for it!

themoonlitroad Mon 01-Sep-14 20:50:17

No it wouldn't, because it's a lovely house.

Plus the garden isn't a bad size, and you could easily dig the shingle out and lawn it.

We did that in our old house - advertised the shingle on freecyle and the freecyclers actually came and dug it all out themselves!

If the walls were painted a bright colour, you had some raised beds put in with some colourful planting, some trellis to create a screened private area to sit in, a nice arbour with some climbers on it, it would be great smile

VelvetEmbers Mon 01-Sep-14 20:50:59

Yes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now