Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help - have so many people coming to our party...

(22 Posts)
Marmitelover55 Mon 01-Sep-14 17:39:56

We are having an extension-warming party in a couple of weeks and have 50 people coming!! What food can I serve?? Any ideas gratefully received. It will be a real squash wih 50, so I am praying for good weather so at least we can use thd garden. I am feeling a bit sick with worry. Please tell me it will be ok shock

FairyPenguin Mon 01-Sep-14 17:46:10

I would do big pots of chilli (meat and veggie), plus loads of rice, pasta and jacket potatoes. Bowls of tortilla chips and dips.

commsgirl Mon 01-Sep-14 17:48:29

I would suggest chilli too.

Big potato salad, coleslaw, green salad. Quiches?

commsgirl Mon 01-Sep-14 17:48:45

It will be fine!

Marmitelover55 Mon 01-Sep-14 17:49:17

Thanks - that sounds like a good idea smile. Was hoping to avoid colours that might stain new light grey sofa, but hopefully it will be ok....

WipsGlitter Mon 01-Sep-14 17:51:18

Not chilli. I can't stand it!!

Pasta bake?

We went to a swish party recently and it was all cold food - salads bread, whole salmon, cold cuts, cheese. It was delicious. Though they did use caterers.

Marmitelover55 Mon 01-Sep-14 17:53:27

Cold sounds good too but no money left for caterers unfortunately. Could do chilli and quiches.

FairyPenguin Mon 01-Sep-14 17:55:10

Pasta bake is a good idea too.

I've also been to a party with cured meats, cheeses, poached whole salmon, fresh baguettes, pork pies, quiches, etc. Very nice it was too, and I would imagine low stress.

commsgirl Mon 01-Sep-14 17:57:47

Salmon's a good idea. Cold might be a better choice if you want to save your sofas!

Marmitelover55 Mon 01-Sep-14 17:57:50

Low stress would be v good. Maybe I could buy the whole salmon and do the cold cuts...

SuperGlue Mon 01-Sep-14 17:57:54

We had a party during the summer and after much discussion on a thread here I made slow cooked pulled pork served on bricohe buns with coleslaw and caramelised onion chutney - it was a HUGE success! Apart from that I served cheese platters with crackers and grapes etc and nibbles - crisps / nuts etc.

Good luck!

Marmitelover55 Mon 01-Sep-14 18:01:01

Oh yes pulled pork would be good!! Like the coleslaw and onion chutney too.

Marmitelover55 Mon 01-Sep-14 18:03:05

Thank you everyone so much for all of your suggestions everyone smile

FruVikingessOla Mon 01-Sep-14 18:03:19

Shepherds pie.

I know I always post this on threads about large house parties, but please make sure you've got loads of loo rolls - and that the 'spares' are in an obvious place in the loo/s / bathroom/s!

Marmitelover55 Mon 01-Sep-14 18:31:57

Good idea thanks!

ApocalypseNowt Mon 01-Sep-14 18:34:17

I went to a party where they had a few different sorts of crusty bread, a few different cheeses and a couple of hams then a table at the end with sauce/chutney, etc. You just went along and made your own sarnie. It was delicious! Everyone loved it smile

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Mon 01-Sep-14 18:44:18

Shepherds Pie or chilli for a party? Not unless I was inviting 50 people for lunch, and maybe not even then.

It all depends on what time you are expecting people but I'd go for a large selection of canapes, bruschetta, crudites and dips, crusty bread with cold cuts and cheeses, that sort of thing. A lot of the canapes you can prepare ahead of time and put in the freezer and just defrost and serve cold or heat up in the oven. Small bites leaves less scope for things getting spilled or dropped which is always a bonus when serving alcoholic drinks

VeryStressedMum Mon 01-Sep-14 18:50:49

I would do a couple of huge curries, chicken and beef, with rice then naan breads and buy some bhajis.
one pot dishes are much easier to do when cooking for loads of people.
I like the pulled pork with coleslaw and chutney too.

Marmitelover55 Mon 01-Sep-14 18:53:46

People are coming 7.30ish. Thanks everyone - it's feeling a bit less daunting now grin

littlewhitebag Mon 01-Sep-14 18:57:16

For that many people i would do a cold buffet. Getting things heated up can be very stressful when you are trying to mingle.

Mrsgrumble Mon 01-Sep-14 19:00:36

I honestly would find cooking hot food for such a large number s major stress and would go down the route of

Roast beef joint sliced
Gammon sliced
Potato salad
Few quiches
Green salad
Crusty rolls - loads
Then I would go to the chipper and get several bags of chicken pieces and chips grin

Marmitelover55 Mon 01-Sep-14 19:42:32

Oh it's so difficult!!! Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now