Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Shoe shopping *cries* Anyone else hate it?

(34 Posts)

Is there anything more miserable than shopping for shoes?

I have clown feet, big and wide. Nothing fits. Even when, by some miracle, something does fit they are hideous, or somehow not really what I was after.

And now dd1 has to have orthopedic insoles for her shoes, shoe shopping just reached a new level of hellishness. There's about 2 styles in the entire universe which are appropriate. We tried on about 15 pairs for her, and about 25 for me, and poor dd2 was trying to chew her way through the straps on her pushchair before the end, to escape the misery.

And for the priviledge of this torture, I just spent 44 big ones on shoes for a 4 year old. One pair, mind!

If you take an average width, size 6 shoe with no complications, thank your lucky stars. If you are the type eho has 200 pairs of shoes and loves nothing more than skipping around the shops umming and ahhing over which Jimmy Choos are the cutest, just... argh. I can't even....

<goes for a lie down>

eltsihT Mon 01-Sep-14 17:35:54

I often come home from shoe shopping for myself and feel the need to cut my pinky toe off so I can wear the pretty shoes I like.

KittiesInsane Mon 01-Sep-14 17:40:09

God, I'm in your corner.

I supposedly have size 3 feet. Fine. But they're an H fitting on the kids' measures, so I have to buy a size 5 at least.

DD is blessed with a similar shape, but size 6 and yes, the added joy of orthotic insoles.

She goes back on Thursday and we haven't found anything yet that will fit...

MrsLettuce Mon 01-Sep-14 17:40:38

Urgh, yes, you have my utmost sympathy - I also have crazy-wide feet and a narrow heel plus weak and wonky ankles. DD has inherited all of this. It's shite.

FairyPenguin Mon 01-Sep-14 17:44:18

I feel your pain. My feet are horribly wide and I have bunions and also have to wear orthotics. Shoe shopping is hideous. I love winter when I can wear boots (that are too big but at least look nice and don't squash my feet). Summer shoes are a nightmare.

MehsMum Mon 01-Sep-14 17:47:55

I have DC who have dinky little heels but are
S U P E R W I D E
across the toes.
Nightmare, every time.

I blame MIL. I have sensibly-shaped feet.

JamaicanMeCrazy Mon 01-Sep-14 17:58:55

I hate shoes in general hmm

I don't have any particular problem with my feet, I just don't like the feeling of something on them, so much so that I don't even own any socks.

I'm getting married in six weeks and I still have no shoes! Not sure what to do about it really as I can't find any that I like that won't look ridiculous with my dress angry

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Sep-14 18:04:57

Eww you are not wrong. I seem to gravitate towards Brantano or M&S or anywhere both shoes are out. I hate going to a proper shop where they have to firkle in the back for the other shoe, then you feel all bad and buy them anyway because they have brought the whole stockroom out for your perusal..

All the shoes look pretty in a size 4 or 5. I am a 7 1/2 and I always feel like I could row home in them. sad

joanofarchitrave Mon 01-Sep-14 18:07:13

Me. Size 42, bunions. Most shops will bring out two pairs I can try on if I'm lucky. Buying shoes online is pointless as they will not fit, but the nearest to success I had was with Cinderella Shoes.

Thank God I'm 45 and fat so I no longer care and wear some huge boat or other from Hotter - they may cost an absolute fucking fortune and look awful but they are comfortable, long-lasting, waterproof, reasonably unobtrusive and I no longer require anything else of my footwear.

The only advice I can give for you is to stop investing anything in the attractiveness of your feet (although a professional pedicure can turn things around for a while). For your children, much harder sad

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Sep-14 18:19:49

Jamaican if I was getting married nowadays I would opt for these.

FairyPenguin Mon 01-Sep-14 18:29:48

Forgot to say I have had recent success with the range in Shoon. Trainers that actually fit and are vaguely trendy, plus comfortable boots for walking to work.

JamaicanMeCrazy Mon 01-Sep-14 18:34:32

Is there a picture there Sparkling? I can't see anything on the app hmm

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Sep-14 18:39:48

Aww sorry Jamaican, pair of lovely white wedding trainers with lacy laces. smile

JamaicanMeCrazy Mon 01-Sep-14 18:41:08

Ah okay, yes I've seen the type, not my thing wink

And anyway my dress is purple! grin

Ididntseeitsoitdidnthappen Mon 01-Sep-14 18:41:51

Insoles don't make it hell for shopping. My DC has them and wears any shoes - bar ballet pumps - they want.

School shoes are sturdy hush puppy brogues and trainers are proper tennis shoes.

I also bought them online after having feet measured, cheaper and no school crowds!

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Sep-14 18:43:33

grin So what sort of shoes have you been looking at Jamaican?

JamaicanMeCrazy Mon 01-Sep-14 18:50:44

Well I need something flat. And preferably dark purple as both my wedding dress and reception dress (yes, I have one, wanky as it sounds, we are having a load if board games at the reception, one of those being twister and I want to play!!grin) are dark purple.

I would rather go barefoot but as we live in the Highlands and we are doing the photos outside cos the scenery is bloody gorgeous I thought shoes were the way to go.

If I don't find any suitable shoes I'll probably end up wearing my Thundercats converse and so fuck if it looks stupid grin

MrsLettuce Mon 01-Sep-14 19:02:13

(finding an exact match for the purple would be a nightmare JamaicanMeCrazy, impossible to do online TBH. Pewter would work really well, or an old gold)

JamaicanMeCrazy Mon 01-Sep-14 19:11:09

Oh I'm not bothered about the colour being exact, the whole wedding party is wearing different shades of purple smile.

I have looked online but not found anything that I like enough to buy.

Lilac would be fine too I guess, my dress does have a lilac bit under the bust.

I'm just a fuss pot blush

MrsLettuce Mon 01-Sep-14 19:25:28

these (not the plain ones, the others) would be amazing with purple

Bet MNers can find you acceptable purple flats if you start a thread with teh size and budget.

Ididntseeit - well, I am happy for your dc that they can wear any shoes they want, but my dd1 cannot! The shoes have to be a very specific type for them to be wearable with her insoles inside them. Her feet are pretty bad. I would not be able to buy online unless I'd seen them in person first.

Ididntseeitsoitdidnthappen Mon 01-Sep-14 19:48:16

I'm just going by my experience as my DC has extremely flat feet that roll in at the ankle along with BJHMS and the insoles are pretty steep, but everyone's are different. I bought hush puppy brogues as closed shoes are what was recommended, If they weren't any good id have sent them back. Tbh my DC is nearly 10 and we've been doing this for 6 years now so I know what style they get on well with.

I'll leave the thread now.

Sorry if I caused any upset

No upset here, and no need for anyone to leave! I was just a bit taken-aback I suppose to be told that insoles do not make finding shoes hell, where in my experience they really do. I was being genuine when I said I wad happy for your dc that it has been their experience, I'd not wish it on anyone smile The shop we went to today has hundreds of pairs of childrens' shoes, and after a cursory dimissal of about 95% of them, I eventually found two pairs which were possible with her orthodics, which are quite scaffolding-like! Luckily, she liked one of them. Like you said, everyone's are different.

Ididntseeitsoitdidnthappen Mon 01-Sep-14 19:57:54

Kids eh!

Is your DC cursed with horrendously skinny feet too, or just mine? My poor kid takes after me unfortunately!

Yup, well, it's hard to tell with dd2 as she's still got chubby and very edible baby feet, but dd1 has skinny feet like dh! The orthodics come up at the side though so and make them normal width, more or less, so at least that's not a problem when buying shoes. If she had flippers like me, I think it would be completely impossible and we'd just go live in the forest and run barefoot and fancy free like elk or summat grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now