Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Please help DIAGNOSE me! Pain in butt cheek and leg, tingling feet.

(34 Posts)
QuintessentiallyQS Mon 01-Sep-14 15:10:57

I woke up yesterday morning with a bit of a back ache. Not terrible, but difficult to bend. We were going on a 1k hike in the hills, so I thought a bit of uneven terrain would sort it and "reset my spine", as it were.

By evening, I could feel that my hips "click" no and then. I was sore in my left bum cheek, and with a tingling feeling at the sole of my foot.

Today, my entire left leg feel a bit odd.

I should add I sprained my ankle in a fall during a mountain walk a week and a half ago. I did feel a slight pain in my bum at the time, but as I had fallen badly tripping sideways hurting my ankle, I was more worried about getting down without causing my ankle any further injury, as we still had around 6km still to go. I paid no notice to my bum. I am not sure if the two are connected at all.

What could this be?

QuintessentiallyQS Mon 01-Sep-14 15:11:43

sorry for typos and grammar.

FreckledLeopard Mon 01-Sep-14 15:12:15

Sounds like compression of the sciatic nerve/slipped disc to me. Do you have pain in your back?

Unexpected Mon 01-Sep-14 15:12:28

Sciatica? Google the symptoms and see if it sounds familiar. The pain can go all the way from lower back, down through your buttock and leg to ankle on one side.

bayrans Mon 01-Sep-14 15:13:02

Sciatic nerve pain.

Is it left bum cheek? Right down the middle?

QuintessentiallyQS Mon 01-Sep-14 15:14:21

oh yes yes, sounds familiar.

So I need to see a chiropractor then?

CabbagePatchCheryl Mon 01-Sep-14 15:15:33

Another vote for sciatica. If I were you I'd make an appointment with a physio or sports rehabilitator. I used to work in a clinic with sports rehabbers and they were chuffing amazing at this stuff.

Obv if numbness gets worse in the meantime, see doctor.

ruth1104 Mon 01-Sep-14 15:21:54

When you say in your bum, do you mean like this?

tianlong-acupuncture.com/images/gluteus.jpg

I have something that sounds fairly similar, it's caused by muscles tightening up from other back issues... I'm seeing a chiropractor and sports massage person, (which helps a LOT) but if I wasn't 34 weeks pregnant it wouldn't be so difficult to shift. I get the sore bum/hip feeling and a tingling pain that goes down to my feet sometimes. Try 'massaging' it by rolling a tennis ball against the wall with your bum where it hurts and see if you can soften it a bit, or some stretches or heat?

QuintessentiallyQS Mon 01-Sep-14 15:23:23

I will try the tennis ball. Thanks.

500smiles Mon 01-Sep-14 15:26:00

Just to add if you get any bowel / bladder issues you need to be seen urgently.

LumpenproletariatAndProud Mon 01-Sep-14 15:30:11

Having had 4.5 years in between children, I can tell you that things change a LOT during that time and the gizmos and gadgets and the way of doing certain things etc can change vastly.

Therefore her opinion is totally invalid.

She needs telling. grin

madamemuddle Mon 01-Sep-14 15:33:52

Sounds like a referred pain from your back.

I would see an osteopath rather than a chiropractor.

PersonOfInterest Mon 01-Sep-14 15:36:45

Sciatica.

Take it easy for a few days. Just be sensible - don't stay in bed but don't go hiking up mountains. Take Ibuprofen (assuming there is no reason you can't). It will ease the pain and take down the inflammation.

Chances are a few days of this and it will be gone.

Problems with your bladder and bowels would require a trip to the Dr but that's very unusual (although going to the toilet could increase your pain).

QuintessentiallyQS Mon 01-Sep-14 15:55:00

I will take ibuprofen, and apply tennis ball, and take it easy.

I have a fab chiropractor, I seem to need him every two years for one thing or other! I dont know any osteopaths though, so I will give him ago. I know he is great with back and spine issues.

Shonajay Mon 01-Sep-14 16:11:23

I'd see your gp before seeing anyone else. I didn't, and turned out I had two prolapsed discs pressing on my sciatic nerve for a year, I've now been left with permanent nerve damage.

I needed an MRI to diagnose me in the end.

QuintessentiallyQS Mon 01-Sep-14 16:12:50

The gp has no appointments until next week, I am waiting for a call back from a doctor.

Meanwhile, the tennis ball was torture.

MrsCaptainReynolds Mon 01-Sep-14 16:16:05

See a doctor, a medical doctor, before trying anything else. Sciatica can be serious. Anything that might lead to cauda equina syndrome needs to be excluded.

mamalino Mon 01-Sep-14 16:16:39

GP, you may have sustained damage if you have recently had a fall. GPs can refer if necessary and you do not want to fuck up your back and leave it <bitter experience>.

You need a GP appt, they should have emergency or cancellations?

Def sounds like sciatic pain to me <even more bitter!>

Hope you feel better soon!

PersonOfInterest Mon 01-Sep-14 20:55:06

Treat it like you would treat any other acute injury. Take it easy, take ibuprofen, it will almost certainly go away on its own. If not, then go to the GP.

Try not to be freaked out by the horror stories, these things usually resolve themselves. Sciatica can be serious - it hardly ever is. But yes it really, really hurts.

Avoid anything that really aggravates it. If there are any gentle movements that ease it, do them. Use pillows to find a comfortable position in bed if that's difficult.

QuintessentiallyQS Mon 01-Sep-14 22:23:52

The doctor did call, and he said it sounded like I have "snigged" a disk and inteferred with the sciatic nerves (or something to that effect). Ice packs to reduce inflammation and nurofen, normal movement, no lifting, take it easy, and gentle walks for a few weeks and I should be right as rain.

Wailywailywaily Mon 01-Sep-14 22:32:32

See your chiropractor, he will actually do the neurological tests to rule out serious nerve damage and if he is concerned should refer you for an MRI. Snigged a disc is not a diagnosis and certainly not one that can be made over the phone. Having said that the rest of the GPS advice is actually very good.

mamalino Tue 02-Sep-14 06:39:27

"Snigged" is that a medical term? grin

Hope it gets better soon.

shouldnthavesaid Tue 02-Sep-14 06:50:25

Just adding the warning about bladder and bowel - if the tingling and numbness travels higher up the leg, and if you lose bladder and or bowel control (or sensation around them) do not hesitate to go to casualty. Fortunately rare for anything serious to develop but can happen and in the absence of an mri I'd be extra vigilant.

LL12 Tue 02-Sep-14 07:37:45

Having been through this a few years ago, if it does not go away after a few days, I would say if you have any private medical insurance than I would use it.

Mine did end up requiring an emergency op on my back which with my local NHS trust was still a 7 week wait. I never had pain in my back but the pain, tingling in my leg and foot and numbness was caused by a disc in my back.
I know that this was an extreme case, but it did teach me that pain like that should be treated as soon as possible if does not go in a few days. My normal GP at the time was the worst ever and would never have sent me for an MRI scan which I needed due to the tingling but luckily I saw a locom GP who referred me straight away.

QOD Tue 02-Sep-14 07:46:31

From recent experience . . . Other than physio chiropractic etc. "They" won't do anything more invasive unless it's not resolved in 12 weeks
It should do so within that and if not, you could be looking at nerve block/facet injections etc

I did it in February, saw Dr in Mayr and had physio in may and June
Finally got referred in Julyand treated as above in August
Consultatan told me he wouldn't do any invasive treatment until it had been 12 weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now