Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

No moline phones allowed in secondary school...

(134 Posts)
Edieandkoala Mon 01-Sep-14 13:20:15

Ds starts tomorrow. Just getting everything ready and reading through the handbook to make sure we have everything covered.

So, apparently mobiles taken to school will be confiscated for the term. Ds will be walking home from school on his own, we are in London so I am nervous about him not having a phone with him!

This has panicked me a bit (I suffer from anxiety), tell me to get a grip please!

littlewhitebag Mon 01-Sep-14 13:21:48

Can you call the school and ask if they have an arrangement whereby children can hand their phones in to the office in the morning then get them back at night?

JadeJ123 Mon 01-Sep-14 13:23:18

Mine used to say no schools, we just put them on silent. Teachers never usually cared as long as they couldn't hear them

DiaDuit Mon 01-Sep-14 13:26:31

I would say as long as he has it on silent (not vibrate!) and doesnt take it out during classes then they wont go looking in his bag for it.

Edieandkoala Mon 01-Sep-14 13:28:14

Ok. Have visions of him getting in trouble in his first week!

I'll tell him to never get it out then. Only his dad and I have his number anyway, so it's not like it's buzzing with calls and texts.

LIZS Mon 01-Sep-14 13:28:43

He turns it off at the school gate and leaves in locker.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 01-Sep-14 13:29:42

I don't think. You need a grip.

People travel for miles to go to secondary schools and public phones are disappearing. I'd worry too. Buses don't show up or trains are delayed and connections mossed adding ages onto a journey the parents won't know about.

NotNewButNameChanged Mon 01-Sep-14 13:30:10

How old is your DS and do you live in a 'rough' part of London?

NotNewButNameChanged Mon 01-Sep-14 13:32:06

(I asked the question about age in case it was first year at a new school rather than first year at secondary full stop).

How did we all cope working home from schools without mobile phones? 100 years ago, some kids would walk miles to and from a school if they lived in a really rural area. I don't really believe more children get attacked now than before (proportionally).

DiaDuit Mon 01-Sep-14 13:37:46

100 years ago, some kids would walk miles to and from a school if they lived in a really rural area. I don't really believe more children get attacked now than before (proportionally).

Well we have the option now of having mobiles and it does add an extra layer of security so no point looking back to what they did 100 years ago. I'm sure there were plenty of things that happened then that could have been prevented or sorted out with a mobile.

Eggs Mon 01-Sep-14 13:38:18

My child's secondary school has this policy too. It is very strictly enforced, phones are confiscated until the next end of term! However I think that it is a good policy - the crime statistics in our area show that the pupils that attend schools that have a no phone policy are less likely to be mugged as the muggers know that children in these school don't have phones on them. Also I agree with NotNewBytNameChanged, how did we all survive before them. Have some faith in your child and in your neighbourhood! I think that it sets a bad example from day one if you condone your child breaking a rule set out by the school - what message does that send. They only have to agree with rules that suit them! Also I find it hard to believe that this is the first that have heard of this policy - from my experience must schools are quite definite on their mobile phone policies and outline them at induction evenings etc.

Lally112 Mon 01-Sep-14 13:38:41

wish ours would do this. and dh too, sick of seeing him glue to that fucking thing in his hand every time I look at him.

LittleMissGreen Mon 01-Sep-14 13:39:49

DSs school have a no mobile rule and they do check their school bags and confiscate them if they find them whether they are on or off at the time.
However, they also make it clear that if a parent writes in that a child really needs one (e.g. because they have a long journey home again) then they will never say 'no'. Child hands it in to reception as they go in and picks it up at the end of the day.

picnicbasketcase Mon 01-Sep-14 13:40:16

Leave it turned off and in the bottom of his bag. Tell him it's only to be switched on if he needs it on his journey. How would they know it was there, presumably they won't be doing stop and searches on his first day.

Hakluyt Mon 01-Sep-14 13:42:54

We live very rurally, and during the winter, dd would have had a long dark walk along a very windey narrow country road with people driving like idiots if I hadn't known when to pick her up from the bus stop. I talked to the school and they were prepared to make an exception if she handed her phone into the office every morning. But it was made very clear that it was an exception.

Theas18 Mon 01-Sep-14 13:45:21

Phone turned OFF in locker or at bottom of bag. Never ever used during the day would be fine.

Trouble is they just can't resist fiddling/checking the net/showing phones off etc !

Absolutely agree that a no phone policy is safer re muggings as also re cyber bullying- noone takes pics of stupid things that happen in school and posts them on the net for ridicule.

LightastheBreeze Mon 01-Sep-14 13:45:24

Probably get a very cheap small PAYG phone, keep on silent, put a small bit of money on for emergencies only. If he has a smartphone it is much more interesting to use than a boring cheap PAYG, so he might be tempted to get it out at school.

Maybe he already has phone like this, but a lot of children do have smartphones and it is tempting to use them.

Eggs Mon 01-Sep-14 13:46:16

Also on another note - as the children have no phones at school in the playground they all interact and socailse with each other more than as they do not all have their faces stuck to their phones. When you see them on the bus or walking to or from school they are chatting and communicating rather then all looking at their phones. As well for the children it gives them a break from the constant social media whirl that they live in. Our school will not make any allowances as far as I am aware. They clearly say that if you don't like our policy go elsewhere. It is an outstanding state secondary school in London.

Hakluyt Mon 01-Sep-14 13:46:29

I really don't agree with parents condoning rule breaking.

AuntieStella Mon 01-Sep-14 13:50:58

I have to say that rule sounds outdated (King Cnut has already been swamped by the wave).

Are you absolutely sure that it's no phones in school at all, rather than no phones out in school?

Ours will confiscate to end of the day any phone that is either seen or heard during the school day. Repeat offences lead to detention. Most pupils turn them off on arrival and back on at the end of the day.

Eggs Mon 01-Sep-14 13:51:14

I agree with Hakluyt - it is a rule, set out by the school, if you decide to break it what is to stop your child breaking other rules set out by the school …..

Also if you are living in London and going to state school - I can't imagine that your child has a very long commute to school as most attend their local secondary school, traveling in their own locality where he should be with familiar people.

Edieandkoala Mon 01-Sep-14 13:51:31

He's 11, going into year 7, so first year of secondary.

We live in a nice part of west London, but I still worry. It's a 20 min walk or a bus ride away.

AuntieStella Mon 01-Sep-14 13:52:45

"They clearly say that if you don't like our policy go elsewhere."

Many parents would love to be able to have a genuine choice of schools. And of course, if you turn down your offered school, you might be left with no place whatsoever. Some schools really do lose touch with the reality of the admissions process.

DialsMavis Mon 01-Sep-14 13:54:22

We are in the same situation (also London) and I am v pleased. The school says the introduction of the rule has really helped with bullying. I would think the most likely issue to happen to an 11 year old on way to or from school would be mugging... Now DS will have nothing to be mugged for.

itsbetterthanabox Mon 01-Sep-14 13:54:37

Have it on silent and keep it in his bag. I don't think schools should have this rule. If they went through my child's bag over this I would have a problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now