Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

apparently bindis are right on trend

(60 Posts)

According to the young lady who cut DS's hair. She had a very large, very gold and grean one dangling from a chain between her eyes. It was very hard to take my attention away from it. It was not worn for any religious or ethnic reasons, purely for decoration.

Have I completly missed a trend? I am rather old and now I'm feeling it.

It was not worn with any obvious irony either

squoosh Mon 01-Sep-14 13:03:23

Very Gwen Stefani circa 1997.

picnicbasketcase Mon 01-Sep-14 13:22:08

I don't like how it's now fashionable to say 'on trend' rather than fashionable or trendy. But I am not on trend, trendy or fashionable so never mind.

Maybe the bindi wearer had decided to try and get them popular again. Or maybe they just really liked them? I didn't join in with it when they were 'in' last time, and I'm far too old to wear them now.

I don't think it's right to appropriate things that have cultural and/or religious meaning to others. It's unthinking and gives off the impression that respecting others beliefs/cultures is just not important. I love fashion but there are just some things I wouldn't wear no matter how 'trendy' they are as I think they are disrespectful and dismissive of other cultures and beliefs

Peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 01-Sep-14 13:26:45

The 90s are in. Bindis were big in the 90s, as I recall. I can't wait for this to all blow over as it makes me feel very old and uncomfortable sad

'On trend' were her words not mine so I assumed that that expression is back too.

I think that you are being a little bit over sensitive about cultural and religious items onelittlelady. This has been done many times before form tartan shirts to rastafarian hats. The 'Bindi' was in now way meant as an insult to anyone it was just a massive fashion statement right between the eyes.

GimmeMySquash Mon 01-Sep-14 13:35:28

I would have loved them to be on tread, when I was a spotty teen.

I was all big baseball boots and spiked hair in the nineties. Maybe I can be a bit more of a girl this time round

GiniCooper Mon 01-Sep-14 13:39:04

Definitely fashion has a 20 year cycle.
I've heard it spoken about before but everything we wore in the 90's my nieces are wearing now. Not bindis yet admittedly, I think I did wear one in the 90's.
I think it's great and also amusing that they think they invented it!

InculKate Mon 01-Sep-14 13:39:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squoosh Mon 01-Sep-14 13:41:21

Hair mascara and those clip in hair 'jewels' will be back next.

I am NOT using hair mascara again. I've done my time.

squoosh Mon 01-Sep-14 13:42:42

I have a huge statue of the Virgin Mary in my bathroom, she watches over those who pee.

I'm a (col)lapsed Catholic though so I think I can get away with it.

InculKate Mon 01-Sep-14 13:42:58

InculKate Mon 01-Sep-14 13:43:18

Eye don't even have eye mascara.

I think I'll just resign myself to being old sad

MsAstronaut Mon 01-Sep-14 13:45:48

I noticed Kate Bush was wearing one for her comeback! or something similar

I did think "uh really a bindi?" but it turns out she is just very "on trend"! I'm sure I saw someone out and about with one recently too.

thesaurusgirl Mon 01-Sep-14 13:47:40

Bindis are not religious, just superstitious: the South Asian equivalent of the Middle Eastern hamsa or the European four leaf clover.

And they look pretty, like henna tattoos and kaftans.

Next you'll be saying I can't wear a lumberjack shirt because I'm not Canadian. Or a lumberjack.

Best place for the Virgin Mary is in the bathroom.

I have a laughing Buddha in my garden, I'm not Buddhist either.

I also have a cross on a chain, I never wear it in case someone thinks I beleive

squoosh Mon 01-Sep-14 13:48:45

Oooh I quite fancy wearing a lumberjack. Probably not in public though wink

InculKate Mon 01-Sep-14 13:51:03

Peaceloveandbiscuits Mon 01-Sep-14 13:51:44

Oh no, the twenty year cycle must mean wearing skirts over trousers will be back soon.

Um, I'm not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't wear, just explaining my reasons for not joining this particular trend. Maybe I am over sensitive, it has often been said about me but it's the way I feel about it. Others can wear whatever they want, it doesn't affect me in any way, I just don't feel comfortable with trends like this one is all

picnicbasketcase Mon 01-Sep-14 13:53:09

Oh, those trousers with the skirt attached to the top. Like a toddlers swimsuit.

3stripesandout Mon 01-Sep-14 13:54:12

Ah big blingy bindis were quiet the thing in Marbs this summer.

Worn with bikini, wedges, sunglasses. But not a stuck on bindi! Attached to the hair parting and dangling down. With lashings of sunblock so you don't get a tan mark!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now