Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Questions for Australians

(343 Posts)
goldopals Mon 01-Sep-14 12:15:00

The thread about the differences between the UK and US is so popular that I wondered if the same thing would happen to a thread about Australia.

I will start with a few answers.
1) We do not ride kangaroos every where
2) kangaroos do not roam wild in the streets unless it is a small country town
3) Some people do eat kangaroos, emus, crocodiles, etc

TiggyD Mon 01-Sep-14 12:51:53

Do you all have pouches?

PrivateBenjamin Mon 01-Sep-14 19:19:44

I hated the way Cadburys tasted in Australia. They put some kind of waxy substance in it so it doesn't melt at high temperatures. Tasted revolting. Chockitos and double coat tim tams made up for it though. wink

seagull70 Mon 01-Sep-14 19:24:19

Does your bath water really swirl down the plug hole in the opposite direction to ours? grin

tankytoppy Mon 01-Sep-14 22:00:57

How can you ever relax knowing there are are animals and insects that want to kill you?

iklboo Mon 01-Sep-14 22:02:05

How big does a knife have to be to qualify as a knife?

tankytoppy Mon 01-Sep-14 22:04:47

Do you make casseroles for your neighbours?

SanityClause Mon 01-Sep-14 22:05:42

tankytoppy, there are badly trained pit bull terriers in the UK that want to kill you. How do you relax, knowing that?

SanityClause Mon 01-Sep-14 22:08:26

Also to tankytoppy - yes, and this is also quite common in the UK, if someone is in a difficult situation, for example, if someone is ill, or there is a bereavement, IME.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 01-Sep-14 22:11:40

I think the thing about Cadbury's is so exaggerated. I lived in the UK for five years, and when I came back to Aus I barely noticed the difference. And vice versa, having been back a few times since.

It's more a slightly different texture, due to whatever they add to make it melt at a higher temperature. It still tastes like Cadbury's! (JMO, of course.)

My big disappointment in the UK was 'Oh, here - have a Penguin! They're the British version of a TimTam'. Uh, no.

TraceyTrickster Tue 02-Sep-14 01:34:09

Cadburys in Aus is rank.

A mate of mine wanted to know if I use the Royal Flying Dr service...personally I find the tram, train or car easier to go to the doctors. I do live in a suburb of a main city, but I think she thought that meant 6 wooden shacks in the bush. Its a city- like London.

Oh and the bush? That's anywhere not built up that's a long way from anywhere. Usually no bushes to be seen. It['s basically a word for remote countryside.

sashh Tue 02-Sep-14 06:28:23

kangaroos do not roam wild in the streets unless it is a small country town Er, have to disagree, my cousin saw one in Armadale. But she did see it was the first wild one she had ever seen in her 20+ years of life.

Why do you call a duvet a Doona?

Why do you either shorten everyone's name or add an 'o' to it?

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Tue 02-Sep-14 06:31:03

A doona is a brand name for duvet. Why do you call a vacuum cleaner a hoover?

BikeRunSki Tue 02-Sep-14 06:41:41

Hoover is the name of the man who invented it.

SanityClause Tue 02-Sep-14 06:45:27

Yes, and Thomas Crapper invented the flushable toilet.

17leftfeet Tue 02-Sep-14 06:47:07

Why are flip flops called thongs when thongs are underwear?

What do you call thongs?

Longdistance Tue 02-Sep-14 07:02:22

Cadburys was rank, I went to the factory recently, and realise that the choc in Oz was awful.

Agree with Tim tams being yuck too. Penguins win hands down.

Only saw roos at the bottom of sils garden, we'll, it's more of a plot of land.

Yes, the water does swirl in a different direction.

Degustibusnonestdisputandem Tue 02-Sep-14 07:06:15

Someone clearly needs to tell my English husband about the awful australian cadburys, as whenever I have some, he steals it! angry

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Tue 02-Sep-14 07:06:53

The vacuum cleaner was invented by Cecil Booth. Hoover is a brand name just like doona. That's my point.

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Tue 02-Sep-14 07:08:08

Thongs are called g-strings. No, I don't know why! And trousers are called pants, another trap for Australians moving to the UK!

VeryLittleGravitasIndeed Tue 02-Sep-14 07:09:17

We had wallabies at the bottom of the garden all the time when I was growing up, but the bottom of the garden is a national park...

SanityClause Tue 02-Sep-14 07:11:50

Thongs in Australia have been thongs for far longer than they have been underwear, here. Why did the British start calling underwear thongs, when it was already a name for a type of sandal? Weirdos!

Gullygirl Tue 02-Sep-14 07:15:45

I was on the obhan last week (it's a special track just for buses) and the driver had to slow right down to 5km per hour - because there was a kangaroo hopping along the track.This is in a very built up area.

MidniteScribbler Tue 02-Sep-14 10:26:11

As for snakes and insects, Aussies have perfected the knack of scanning the toilet cubicle before entering when using public facilities. Watch any Aussie walking in to a public toilet and you'll see the quick dart of the eyes to each corner of the cubicle to check for anything that slithers or has a big red splotch on its back.

Nancy66 Tue 02-Sep-14 10:33:43

Why does nobody know the difference between a statement and a question?

(the above is a question and therefore voice inflection is perfectly acceptable)

(the sentence immediately above is not and therefore no inflection necessary.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now