Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is this one of the most stupid things you've heard?

(156 Posts)
BehindHerSmile Mon 01-Sep-14 01:36:37

So I've just spent the summer in California, mostly in LA (working unfortunately).

I met up with a friend today and this is how the conversation when ...

Her - So was it hot out there?

Me - Yeah, it averaged around 27-30 degrees most days.

Her - Really?!

Me - Yes ......

Her - But I thought it snowed out there?

Now she's never been in LA so I don't expect her to have a huge knowledge about the city but surely the vast majority of people know that it's generally doesn't snow in the summer there.

I'm kind of shocked tbh.

It's thick, but I've heard thicker smile

flappityfanjos Mon 01-Sep-14 01:45:31

Er, did she think California was at the North Pole?? How bizarre.

For examples of thickness, I give you: "No, I've never read Romeo and Juliet. I mean I've read the play version, but not the actual book."

The thickest thing I've ever heard was 'Hitler who?'

gincamparidryvermouth Mon 01-Sep-14 08:37:00

"What was Hitler's surname?"

dancestomyowntune Mon 01-Sep-14 08:38:54

flappityfanjos that really is tragic!

My own (older) sister was horrified that I wasn't removing my navel piercing whilst pregnant because she thought the placenta was attached to my navel and would be damaged. I kid you not. hmm

Lally112 Mon 01-Sep-14 08:41:47

maybe she mistook it for Chicago or something, its easy done. I mistook Bristol for Brighton on Saturday, in my head I just got the two mixed up and tiredness left me confused as to where geographically we were talking about.

Dinnaeknowshitfromclay Mon 01-Sep-14 08:43:52

Yesterday I overheard a bloke ask for soap with no Ph in it!

No cure for stoopid!

That's pretty stupid grin

At uni a housemate's girlfriend asked

"How do farmers know which eggs have got baby chicks in and which have got just....eggs?"

She thought they used a special x ray machine.

shock confused hmm grin

CornChips Mon 01-Sep-14 09:17:13

I worked in Australia years ago and when I returned a colleague asked me perfectly seriously if I got confused because when it is July here it is January there. (Clearly she got confused because of the opposite seasons-0 but not opposite months FFS). What is even more scary is that she was managing a team in quite a high-powered job. I really did have a jaw drop at that.

CornChips Mon 01-Sep-14 09:27:38

Oh, and I also made a trip out to a conflict zone to visit refugee camps. In the course of conversation when home I mentioned to a friend that the pervasive smell of rubbish was dreadful, along with all the diseases. Her question was what days did the local council have their rubbish collection.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 01-Sep-14 09:31:04

My DP's niece - note, NOTHING to do with my side of the family in any way, shape or form (!) thought leather grew on trees. She was 24 at the time. confused

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 01-Sep-14 09:32:14

Oh, Cornchips - tragic but amusing, all at the same time

FruVikingessOla Mon 01-Sep-14 10:46:29

A lovely, but rather ditzy, ex-colleague once told this against herself. She and her DP had moved house to a new area, they drove to work together with their route taking them past their local cinema. After a couple of months she remarked to her DP that there must be a really good film on, because they'd been advertising it all the time they'd been living there (it was one of those old-fashioned cinema frontages with an enormous light-box with the name of the films stuck on). He asked her what the film was called. Her reply, "licensed bar for patrons only". grin

Last week someone said to me

'What beautiful girls! How old are they?'
'Thanks! 4 and 1.'
'They are so similar! Are they twins?'
'.... err, haha.... '
'.....'
'No.'

Butterpuff Mon 01-Sep-14 11:10:35

Love all these examples.

My favourite was a temp at work, trying to convince us that her vegetarian friend would be happy with the duck on the menu for Christmas dinner.

Because "duck's a fish isn't it. Swims on water!"

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 01-Sep-14 11:13:41

Had a friend once who thought a pony was a teenage horse

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 01-Sep-14 11:14:09

Butter grin

Matildathecat Mon 01-Sep-14 11:15:41

BFF has Aspie son, gorgeous boy but very naive. He said to her that it was lucky that Comparethemarket.com had pointed out that they were not comparethemeerkat.com. smile

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 01-Sep-14 11:15:56

Psammead too - chortle.
It does stump the conversation - you just look at the person, not knowing how to respond. So funny

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Mon 01-Sep-14 11:17:47

Matilda - that's very funny, but in a nice, endearing way. Bless his little cotton socks!

It's when supposed "intelligent" adults pop out crap - that is seriously worrying

Psammead - I've had that. There are two years between me, and my younger sister, but we look very alike so people have always assumed we are twins. A few years ago someone asked if we were twins, and I said no. The person then asked me if I was sure.

Really, did they imagine that I'd forgotten?!!!

BertieBotts Mon 01-Sep-14 11:27:46

The egg thing isn't that far off, they shine a light through the egg and see if there's a shadow!

Cheebame Mon 01-Sep-14 11:29:55

Mistaking it for somewhere else is one thing, but surely most people realise that almost everywhere on earth has seasons?

FlyingHamster Mon 01-Sep-14 11:33:10

For examples of thickness, I give you: "No, I've never read Romeo and Juliet. I mean I've read the play version, but not the actual book."

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now