Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Ashya's Dad explains why they took him from the hospital

(539 Posts)
Sunna Sun 31-Aug-14 07:42:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ETQn9ZPwk

The battery wasn't running out - that was just a scare story.

They had plenty of medication and tube feed, despite what we were told by the hospital and the police.

When they questioned his treatment they were threatened with him being made a ward of court.

These people were desperate to get help for their very poorly child and they wanted treatment not offered in the UK.

Am I the only one who feels very uneasy about the actions of the medics and the police?

Eebahgum Sun 31-Aug-14 07:53:49

Wow, that's really interesting. Glad he's been able to get his side of the story out there.

LegoCaltrops Sun 31-Aug-14 07:59:22

If what he's saying is true, that's very disturbing.

sashh Sun 31-Aug-14 08:01:36

Thank you for sharing this.

I am so conflicted with this one, mainly due to lack of information.

sashh Sun 31-Aug-14 08:02:57

Just seen the police have arrested the parents.

CuppaSarah Sun 31-Aug-14 08:05:22

I imagine there's a bit more to it than he's saying, but it's really good to hear both sides now. I do wonder if his dad came across as quite aggressive when talking to his consultant and that's why there were the issues he had? I know how I would be if I felt my input was being ignored over my childs health. Of course that doesn't justify the supposed actions of the consultant.

If what he's saying is how it happened though, it's quite scary how big this has become. I can understand why the medical staff and police got so involved, but I can understand why his parents felt what they did was for the best. Putting an ill childs face all over the news still doesn't sit right with me.

Acolyte Sun 31-Aug-14 08:13:18

I feel desperately sorry for all of them.
It's a shame the doctors threw "protection order" at him for just questioning his boy's treatment, if that is indeed the case.
I hope Ashya gets the treatment that is best for him.

canyou Sun 31-Aug-14 08:14:31

Thank you for the link, I had wondered about the parents side of this tragic story.
hmm But I do believe the family if they were pushing for alternative or pure palliative care with no further medical intervention may have been or may have felt ignored by those on the medical side. I know of a case where a mediator was used at all consultant and parent meetings as they were polls apart in their believes.
That poor family that poor baby I really hope that his last few months are with his family maybe even at home. Quality not quantity is important here hmm

OldFarticus Sun 31-Aug-14 08:23:26

I feel extremely uneasy about the conduct of the medics here (and the police, to a lesser extent). I think there are difficult questions to be answered by the consultant involved, because this poor family were clearly afriad of being access to their terminally ill child. This is taking "it's my way or the highway" to a repellent extreme.

I can't comment on the clinical details but cancer care in the UK is generally behind the curve when it comes to new treatments. It is natural for a parent to want the best possible treatment for his child, and I think the father has been restrained and dignified in his statement in view of the way the family have been treated. In reality, we would all do everything possible to give our children a chance to live, and the actions of the medics in threatening a restraining order were woefully inappropriate, draconian and frankly Stalin-esque. I hope heads roll for this (but I am not holding my breath.)

loopyarabella Sun 31-Aug-14 08:30:19

Thanks for sharing this. Even if the truth was somewhere in the middle of what each side is saying, it still comes down on the side of the family trying to do everything they can for their son - which is not at all how it was painted in the media.

I do wonder how many stories from the past were not actually what they appeared to be, because people did not have access to any way of getting their side of the story across.

My thoughts are with Ashya and his family, I hope that those in power are quickly able to come up with a solution which sees the little boy surrounded by his family.

TranmereRover Sun 31-Aug-14 08:36:09

The alternative treatment the parents wanted would have been in line with their beliefs as Jehovah's witnesses, and no doubt that made a lot of conventional treatment unappealing to them. So while his statement may be factually correct, the sky pixie basis on which they are making decisions is quite possibly highly alarming to trained and experienced medical professionals who have previously treated other patients with the same condition.

PossumPoo Sun 31-Aug-14 08:36:38

I agree with old. I think the medical profession have massively overstepped their authority here. And l thought the battery only having 24 hours left was bullshit.

lisad123everybodydancenow Sun 31-Aug-14 08:38:56

Very sad story and sadly not the first time I have come across doctors who hate to be questioned and told I know nothing. There are loads of families who have had the same issues. Maybe not to this extent but certainly doctors don't like to be questioned.
I hope they release those poor parents and he gets his treatment.

EdithWeston Sun 31-Aug-14 08:40:08

One point of detail is that Proton Beam Therapy is available on NHS. At present, they fund patients to receive it overseas; first centres offering it in UK opening next year.

Icimoi Sun 31-Aug-14 08:43:05

I would be as cautious about accepting the father's version uncritically as the hospital's. In particular, it doesn't seem at all likely that the hospital threatened to deny access solely because the parents asked about alternative treatments - there is likely to be a lot more to it.

Sunna Sun 31-Aug-14 08:46:22

I agree, Icimoi, but it is important that we hear both sides. This family are not as they have been portrayed in the press at the very least.

SweetPeaPods Sun 31-Aug-14 08:53:21

I feel for the little boy. Last night news said parents were in police custody and Ashya was in hospital in Malaga. A strange hospital with no parents with him doesn't sit right with me.

Icimoi Sun 31-Aug-14 08:55:28

His older siblings are with him.

Nerf Sun 31-Aug-14 08:55:39

We haven't actually been given the hospital's version though? They released a statement asking to find the family. To be honest, the battery thing was always an issue - where are they going to plug it in on a ferry?
I suspect there is more and this is a horribly sad story but no one on here can justifiably say parents right, hospital wrong. People seem to be so simplistic in their thinking.

R4roger Sun 31-Aug-14 09:02:42

i feel very sorry for the family as well. The Doctor does not sound very professional. of course there are two sides to every story. the relationship has obviously broken down
I hope he can be treated elsewhere, and I would like to think that the family can raise the money for the Proton Beam treatment.

R4roger Sun 31-Aug-14 09:03:50

luckily for me I have not been reading the gutter press about this story, since I never do anyway.
My initial reaction was poor family, they have taken him away to die.

HomeHelpMeGawd Sun 31-Aug-14 09:10:42

I am really quite confused to hear that the parents have been arrested under a European arrest warrant and are likely to face extradition proceedings. They didn't breach a court order when they removed him, so I'm not sure what crime they're alleged to have committed. Immoral and criminal are not the same thing, and neither are "acting in contravention of the wishes of authorities" and criminal the same thing. I feel quite uneasy about this

Evabeaversprotege Sun 31-Aug-14 09:12:47

Poor poor family. Such a sad situation. I won't judge them, who knows what we would do in the same situation.

I do hope if they're arrested, they're released & allowed to spend previous time with their son.

No parent, despite what some news reports lead you to believe, want to run away with their dying child - they had to have believed they were acting in his best interests.

I feel for them all, such a difficult thing to go through.

Watching that just makes me desperately sad for the family. It's very worrying.

Timetoask Sun 31-Aug-14 09:17:55

I believed every word that father said. The doctors in question should be ashamed of themselves, making the parents feel unable to question the treatment.

I hope the police quickly realises that the place of these parents is with Ashya. I also hope the NHS listens to them and allows them to take Ashya to another country that will give him a treatment which is less aggressive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now