Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Did anyone not 'do' very much for their child's 1st birthday?

(127 Posts)
Mrsgrumble Sat 30-Aug-14 23:40:42

Dh this we should put a hat on him and sing to him after our dinner on his birthday.

I am a bit confused

We got m a little tykes and I was thinking of having the grandparents over and bringing a cake to nursery for him to share with friends (they are older)

Mrsgrumble Sat 30-Aug-14 23:41:43

Sorry, meant dh didn't think we need to celebrate with anyone. He can be a bit dull about these types of things.

DuelingFanjo Sat 30-Aug-14 23:43:23

We had a cake in the house and invited family. No big party of his own until he was three.

susiedaisy Sat 30-Aug-14 23:43:45

We had close family and friends round for piece of birthday cake and took photos to mark the occasion. But no we didn't have a big party or go mad with presents and decorations.

MrsPennyapple Sat 30-Aug-14 23:45:40

DS's first birthday was a couple of weeks ago. We didn't do anything. I think the grandparents came over but I honestly can't remember. On the one hand I think "but it's his first birthday, he'll never have this again" and then I think "he's one. He doesn't know or care."

Mrsgrumble Sat 30-Aug-14 23:46:15

Thanks.. Did y invite aunts uncles cousins etc?

Ours live over two hours away so seems a bit much for tea and cake but I could just have grandparents and baby cousin and little friend. All within 20 mins

Woodenheart Sat 30-Aug-14 23:46:55

I took DD to a photographer and we did a 'cake smash' so lots of beautiful photos of DD let loose with a stunning cake. Its great watching them slowly dig into it, and walk in it etc!

I wanted something to look back on and it was well worth it cake

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sat 30-Aug-14 23:47:35

We dressed her up, got her to blow out a candle on a flock of cupcakes and took lots of pictures of her looking pleased but puzzled. Then we took our eyes off her for a second and she ate the candle. This had no apparent effect, apart from some odd nappies.

Borttagen Sat 30-Aug-14 23:52:37

I was going to say we didn't but we did similar to what you are thinking of doing and it was lovely but felt like not much effort because we had a huge bash for his older sister's first birthday. But he was undergoing lots of medical investigations and we just didn't feel up to a big party.
Your DH sounds really miserable.

eddiemairswife Sun 31-Aug-14 00:04:23

We never lived near family, so it was just me my husband and him for first baby. I made a victoria sandwich with milk chocolate and smarties for decoration, taught him how to blow the week before, so he could blow out his candle and we sang 'Happy Birthday' to him. Similar pattern for subsequent children, except we had more singers. Personally I think 'cake smash' is ridiculous.

aubreye Sun 31-Aug-14 00:04:58

With DS1, we lived in the US and had moved there two years prior to that. I had a small circle if friends from the nursery group who's kids came round. We had a strawberry souflée and lots of pictures.

With DD1 we were back in England and I had my four closest friends from primary school round. All three of them had little girls aged 1 to 1 and a half. And we had cute little cupcakes my friend made (she owns a cake shop)

With DTs we had PILs, SIL and my mother down for a small celebration. Had a Victoria sponge cake.

kickassangel Sun 31-Aug-14 00:05:24

We got stuck in traffic for four hours.

aubreye Sun 31-Aug-14 00:05:55

That's not too much is it, compared to mothers who spend a fortune on something they won't appreciate of remember.

MrsWinnibago Sun 31-Aug-14 00:11:12

I had grannies, aunties and cousins. Of course you should if you want to.

slithytove Sun 31-Aug-14 00:14:30

We did a cake smash with one set of grandparents the weekend before.

Day of, we went to a petting farm with his other GM. Gf couldn't make it, and it was GM's birthday too.

All very understated.

slithytove Sun 31-Aug-14 00:15:25

Eddie, how come you think a cake smash is ridiculous?

MrsPennyapple Sun 31-Aug-14 00:22:53

I think a cake smash is a bit daft too, tbh, but then I don't find pics of kids covered in food cute either, I seem to be alone in this.

There was a couple on tv this week who were taking their baby to Disneyland for her first birthday. I'm not sure what they thought the child would get out of it.

MrsWinnibago Sun 31-Aug-14 00:25:27

I think people find "Cake smash" ridiculous because it's trying to formalise something which is only cute or funny if it happens naturally.

Sillysausage2 Sun 31-Aug-14 00:44:58

We have a big family and tradition of big parties for LO birthdays, sit down dinners etc. I had been planning (shitting myself) a party for 30 (just OH direct family plus partners and kids and mine) menus, where would everyone sit etc and then SIL had a stillborn baby at 39 weeks and was buried on the day of PFB 1st birthday. So then I realised it was present enough to have her and fuck the party

Bunbaker Sun 31-Aug-14 00:51:45

"We had a cake in the house and invited family. No big party of his own until he was three."

That's exactly what we did for DD. We just had MIL, SIL and her husband, plus us three. I made a cake, but other than that we didn't do very much.

WhatSheSaid Sun 31-Aug-14 00:58:30

We (dh, dd, the dog and I) went to the beach, we live right by the sea. We had a picnic, then went home, had a sponge cake I had made and took a few pictures. It was lovely.

StoneTheFlamingCrows Sun 31-Aug-14 01:01:30

I bought dd some presents, a nice little birthday outfit and had afternoon tea and cake with both sets of gps. That was all!

Lweji Sun 31-Aug-14 01:05:21

We had the closest available family at home with some party food and cake.

I think it's good to celebrate with the family. And I'd find it odd that the 1st birthday was not celebrated in that way at least, TBH.

scottishmummy Sun 31-Aug-14 01:11:17

I think cake smash is contrived, adults trying to artfully construct chaos and cake

WhereHas1999DissappearedToo Sun 31-Aug-14 01:22:25

I got DD a couple of presents and me, DH and my parents went out for lunch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now