Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

how long does mefenamic acid take to work?

(25 Posts)
AtYourCervix Thu 28-Aug-14 21:32:41

Cos so far it's shit and not working.

Baastards.

APotNoodleandaTommy Thu 28-Aug-14 21:33:50

Can't say it's made any difference to me at all. And when I went to get some more today, my pharmacist said they can't get it anymore...

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 28-Aug-14 21:34:37

Well it gave me terrible headaches after 2 doses, then I had a lighter period that lasted twice as long.......

I'm taking it in tandem with tranexamic acid. The first month I thought it was okay (like instantly less painful periods) but the second month (only been on it two months) it did little or nothing and also gave me a horrible stomach upset.

AtYourCervix Thu 28-Aug-14 21:36:40

FFS. I have long light periods. I don't want it longer!

I just want to stop hurting all the bloody time.

LumpenproletariatAndProud Thu 28-Aug-14 21:38:21

Spatone. Your body absorbs far more, far quicker.

And far less harsh on your stomach. I rely on it a lot as I have horrendously long and heavy periods.

IsItMeOr Thu 28-Aug-14 21:39:11

I've found it works really well for me if I start taking it as soon as my period starts, and then take it at the maximum dose for the first couple of days, then gradually reduce.

I do find that it seems to give me a pause in flow after 2-3 days, then it starts again. But that could just be my age!

Without it, I get pain that causes me to vomit, so I'm a big fan.

AtYourCervix Thu 28-Aug-14 21:40:37

I hurt. I don't want to hurt. How can I stop?

AMillionNameChangesLater Thu 28-Aug-14 21:42:49

It never worked for me. Sorry

iseenodust Thu 28-Aug-14 21:43:35

You need to take it as soon as inkling pain starting & make sure you've eaten. The tablets are double the strength of the capsules so maybe ring NHS and see if can take more?

RoganJosh Thu 28-Aug-14 21:45:01

When did you take it?

AtYourCervix Thu 28-Aug-14 21:46:11

Took it at about 11 when i started draggy feeling. Took another at 4.

AtYourCervix Thu 28-Aug-14 21:46:59

Akso took paracetamol an hour ago.

AtYourCervix Thu 28-Aug-14 21:47:45

Dr refused to refer me to gynae because I won't have a mirena.

H2OWoe Thu 28-Aug-14 22:12:47

Tried it, less effective than buscopan and you need to take the MA three times a day. Why not see a private gynie - consult likely to be £100 or less?
Meantime buscopan is £2 a box.... Sorry to hear you're going through this, it is really horrible.

AtYourCervix Thu 28-Aug-14 22:16:21

If i paid for private consultation would any treatment recommended be done on nhs?

I'd not think so and haven't got ££££££s spare.

Tried buscopan. Didn't work.

Will nag GP again.

H2OWoe Thu 28-Aug-14 22:19:25

Just remembered something - when I saw a private gynie she said that you need to take the MA almost before you get pain - it's no good taking it when it's already hurting - I think it works by interfering with the signal carrying the pain (not a very good explanation sorry) and it sort of blocks the signal, so if the pain is already present then the MA cannot work very well neurologically speaking. Wikipedia has a better explanation actually.

Try solpadine max, that helped my period pain when nothing else worked?

trufflesnout Thu 28-Aug-14 23:11:12

MA works really well for me and after reading this I feel quite lucky. You need to start taking it about 2 days before your period or when you start getting those twinges. Sometimes I can get away with taking it much, much later though. It lightened and shortened mine so I guess we just happened to be a good match

trufflesnout Thu 28-Aug-14 23:11:36

Forgot to add, takes about 20 mins to kick in

AtYourCervix Thu 28-Aug-14 23:17:37

So it's shite if your cycles are irregular then?

Bolloccks

trufflesnout Fri 29-Aug-14 09:46:34

Nope, mine are very irregular. However they are/were very, very painful and I get pains before they start which is my signal to start taking the mef. Mef has lightened them, reduced pain and regulated them a bit too smile

Interesting re starting to take them on the first twinges. Will give that a try this time.

AYC

Has anyone medical ever considered that endometriosis could be the root cause of these painful periods?. Mefenamic and transexamic acid tablets are often given to women (some who are diagnosed eventually with endo) who suffer such problems. They may treat the symptoms but do not in any way address the cause.

If GP refuses to refer you to gynae because you will not have a Mirena inserted, I would complain to the practice manager then re-register with another GP practice. Its unbelievable in this day and age.

Halsall Fri 29-Aug-14 11:00:11

Agree absolutely with Attila. You have the right to refuse a Mirena if you don't want one, and it's outrageous if your GP is refusing to refer you. You must complain (btw, I do have a Mirena and it worked for me, but doesn't for everyone).

Also agree that pain this bad is NOT right. I had years of being fobbed off by GPs who dismissed my v. bad period pains as 'normal'. Years later I finally had a diagnosis of endo, and a laparoscopy showing that my pelvis was a mass of scar tissue, probably from long-term endo. Not 'normal' after all.

Please take this further OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now