Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Quick poll, who would be fine with an MRI of the head, who wouldn't?

(99 Posts)
Upandatem Thu 28-Aug-14 21:23:29

Thanks

BoulevardOfBrokenSleep Thu 28-Aug-14 21:26:32

I would be fine with that. (Are you looking for us to justify our opinion?!)

CT is the type of scan that involves a large dose of Xrays.

ancientbuchanan Thu 28-Aug-14 21:27:04

I have them every 6 months. Compared to my job they are v relaxing and I have to prevent myself falling asleep. As long as your eyes are closed it's fine.

JumpJockey Thu 28-Aug-14 21:28:38

As in going into the scanning machine? I did four or five to earn cash as a student - the kind where they get you to do simple tests and see how your brain lights up. I found it best when They had a mirror above my face for looking at a screen - it made it feel like I was looking up a big chimney. Otherwise just eyes closed was best. It got pretty loud, but usually they played gentle music during the structural scanning bits at the start and end.

Januaryjojo1 Thu 28-Aug-14 21:31:51

My DD has had a fair few, and is down to yearly (touch wood) at the mo.

She finds them ok, it's the dye jab they give her before hand that makes her a bit dopey sick feeling afterwards.

She's had ct too.

Upandatem Thu 28-Aug-14 21:35:16

Justification great but just fine or not fine is great too, thanks.

Wigglykitten Thu 28-Aug-14 21:36:48

I've had a couple, and as someone who hates confined spaces and the feeling of being trapped/pinned down I was really worried beforehand but just kept my eyes closed throughout, and breathed steadily. I also visualised myself lying on a nice sunny beach which helped too.

BoredPanda Thu 28-Aug-14 21:37:49

Yep, fine. Done it a few times and its quite noisy, but that's it.

Yep, fine.

What's your concern about them?

SocialMediaAddict Thu 28-Aug-14 21:38:50

Nope. Not me. 2 attempts then had to have Valium for the 3rd.

AnyFucker Thu 28-Aug-14 21:40:25

in what context ?

as an essential diagnostic tool ?

why would you not be fine with it ?

if you suffer with something like claustrophobia, I can see a problem

StrawberryCheese Thu 28-Aug-14 21:40:27

I've had a few chest MRIs, I don't mind them, except I tend to get cramp in my arms. CT scan was hideous in comparison.

Bunbaker Thu 28-Aug-14 21:41:25

No problem here. I had one a few years ago when I was having some ear problems. I don't get claustrophobic in small spaces and was quite relaxed about the process. The machine is very noisy though.

hoobypickypicky Thu 28-Aug-14 21:42:07

I was going to say fine but then I read the comment about having to have an injection.

No, I wouldn't be fine with that at all. The MRI itself, not a problem.

flanjabelle Thu 28-Aug-14 21:42:46

I would have one no problem. If had one before, it was no big deal.

Stratter5 Thu 28-Aug-14 21:43:36

Had one, it's fine, really no problem at all

PricillaQueenOfTheDessert Thu 28-Aug-14 21:43:59

I hope I never have to have one again. Valium was the only way forward for me.

Don't like them but have them every year including the injection. Necessary evil - just have to get on with it, but as a pp says eyes tight shut helps enormously. If I open them I get claustrophobic!

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Thu 28-Aug-14 21:45:52

Nope. I had one for my knee and I found the noise awful even with headphones and music.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Thu 28-Aug-14 21:46:22

Nope. I had one for my knee and I found the noise awful even with headphones and music.

Vintagebeads Thu 28-Aug-14 21:47:52

I had a head MRI no dye though.
They gave me a book of music to choose from and it helped having the headphones on as it took about 20mins I closed my eyes
I had no idea it would be so enclosed once inside looks more spacious on Holby

UnleashTheBaby Thu 28-Aug-14 21:48:18

Most people won't need an injection for an MRI, it very much depends on the indication and which part of the body we are scanning. As others have said, the main thing is that they're very noisy (although you wear headphones, and can have music played to you), you need to keep very still for up to 30-45 minutes (although some scans are much shorter), and claustrophobic patients do find them more challenging than other scans. Although even with that, there are "open" magnets in some units that are much less enclosed.

Do you have any specific worries or queries OP? I work in this field if I can help.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 28-Aug-14 21:49:16

I've had one for my head and one for my back.

It's noisy, even with ear plus, but the scanner that I went in was a tunnel, not a tube with a dead end. I found that easier to cope with than if I was going head first into a dead ended tunnel.

exexpat Thu 28-Aug-14 21:50:05

I've had an MRI (of abdomen, so whole of my body including head had to be in the scanner) and it would not bother me at all to have another. It's noisy but otherwise fine.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Thu 28-Aug-14 21:51:31

Totally fine. I found it very relaxing, but I'm not claustrophobic at all. It's noisy, but not excessively so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now