Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Inappropriate language from a 10yo?

(16 Posts)
TheHandmadeStaleBread Thu 28-Aug-14 18:18:13

I was in the park today with a group of friends - we all have one child in the same class at school, with most of us having other children, but the main connection is through that class (going into yr2). One brought her 10yo along and for a while he and my DD2 (21mo) were both on the big circular swing (like a basket) and I was pushing them. We were chatting about all sorts, the ice bucket challenge, favourite films etc - all normal 10yo stuff as far as I know. Then DD2 started climbing around a bit and he suddenly said "it looks a bit like I'm teabagging her doesn't it?"

I didn't say anything at the time as actually I wasn't totally sure what that meant, just stared and then took us both off to play somewhere else. Have googled it now and am horrified that he said this (it references a sexual act) in reference to a toddler.

What the hell do I do now? Mum, I am certain, will just laugh it off - he has some mild learning difficulties, but I don't know how relevant this is. Am half thinking that maybe he didn't know what it actually mean either and was just repeating stuff he's heard in the playground.

Should I tell his Mum? The school? Do nothing and just assume he didn't really understand himself?

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Thu 28-Aug-14 18:24:23

He's heard it from somewhere else.

I really doubt he knows what it means.

WaffleWiffle Thu 28-Aug-14 18:25:47

Its a derogatory gaming term. Yes, it is sexual (in the same way that the words "wank" or "fuck" are) but the 10yo probably came about knowing this phrasing from online computer games (like Call of Duty) rather than as a sexual term directly.

You may have known that, I don't know?

It doesn't make any difference to the fact that a 10yo shouldn't know or be using this phrasing. It is still inappropriate.

cansu Thu 28-Aug-14 18:26:08

You either mention it to her or you don't. I would assume he heard it somewhere and didn't know what it meant. I certainly have never heard of it. I don't think you need to get too worked up about it. If he makes any other comments you are not happy about, pull him up on them. Tell him that isn't acceptable. Do you know what that means?

TheHandmadeStaleBread Thu 28-Aug-14 18:28:14

I didn't know about any gaming references, we are not gamers in this house and my eldest is only 6 so now exposure yet from the kids. That does make more sense that it might be from a computer game, and he might not know of other uses.

Hurr1cane Thu 28-Aug-14 19:05:49

Someone might have said that to him in school though "haha it looks like in tea bagging you"

If he's said it in front of his mum it probably means he doesn't really know what it means.

When we were younger, my mum took great pleasure in telling us what everything really meant in order to get us to stop swearing

For example
Dsis "oh frig off hurr1cane"
Mum "frig means when females finger themselves, did you know that?"
Dsis mortified face

iklboo Thu 28-Aug-14 19:07:53

He might think it means something completely different.

Anotherchapter Thu 28-Aug-14 19:15:20

I wouldn't be so sure about not knowing what it meant. Some of the young lads at the play scheme I was running a couple of years back had really inappropriate stuff on there phones, some off line and some sent by family members!

Tell his mum what he said. I would want to know if my son said that. If she laughs it off at least you got it off your chest.

thegreylady Thu 28-Aug-14 19:17:28

I don't know what it means!

GirlWithTheLionHeart Thu 28-Aug-14 19:19:19

Urgh, grim that a 10yo knows what that is. Grim and sad.

Preciousbane Thu 28-Aug-14 19:24:31

It is a gaming reference used on COD and maybe others but 10 is too young to be using it. I would imagine he does know what he is saying especially if he was stood or crouching over your DD, not nice. I would say something, but do not send texts over this.

TheHandmadeStaleBread Thu 28-Aug-14 20:13:13

I'll have a chat with the mum when I see her next week. It was just such a random comment, we'd been chatting about totally everyday stuff and then he just came out with it.

She was climbing over the top of him when he said it, but she's 21mo FFS, she climbs on anything if it's still for more than 10 seconds!

So am going for shocked but probably assuming he's not quite got the understanding of the implications of what he said... His mum wasn't there when he said it, was just the 3 of us chatting and swinging.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 28-Aug-14 20:51:16

It's on Call of Duty. My ds said the same to his 4 year old cousin when he was 7. He didn't even know what it meant when questioned he said 'it's what they say at school' and he's never played COD.

Primadonnagirl Thu 28-Aug-14 20:54:01

Frig doesn't mean that where I come from!!!

Preciousbane Thu 28-Aug-14 21:52:57

Have you not heard frigging in the rigging Prima

Primadonnagirl Thu 28-Aug-14 21:54:27

Oh yes but it's used like" shagging" ..ie sex but not deemed esp vulgar

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now