Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Free nursery sessions for three year olds?

(15 Posts)
KittenOverlord Thu 28-Aug-14 17:18:33

My son turns three in January, so according to the direct.gov website he should be eligible for his 15 hours a week funded nursery from 1st April. I'd like him to go to the nursery attached to a local school.

I can't work out what I need to do though, do I need to fill in forms? Or just apply to the nursery and they will know by his DOB that he is eligible?

Also, how/when should I be putting his name down for the nursery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Just give them a call. They will know by his dob and arrange it all for you.

KittenOverlord Thu 28-Aug-14 17:20:09

Sorry, meant to add that the government website says "for more information go to your local council site", but the link takes me to funding for two year olds which we aren't eligible for. Otherwise I would just Google!

KittenOverlord Thu 28-Aug-14 17:21:23

Ah thanks Juniper for the speedy response! I will call them when term starts again. And try not to cry at the thought of my tiny baby going to big nursery!

I had to apply for a place just after my dc's were 2 in order to get their place when they were 3. I got a form from the nursery itself and had to fill it in with my 3 main preferences - it was then handed back in to the nursery. Phone the nursery itself and ask what their application process is.

what is your local council?

Go direct to the school. You'll need to fill in an application form, probably provide proof of address and date of birth and then the school will do the rest.
You might need to try a few, as some will have their January places filled already. My DS is also eligible for his 15 hours in January, and our closest nursery class is full until next September, so he's staying in his day nursery for his 15 hours.

You'd think I'd have been more organised, what with being an early years teacher and all that. blush

bloated1977 Thu 28-Aug-14 17:52:13

The nursery will deal with it all for you. Depending where you are most nurseries will probably be full for their January intake [confuse] I had to put both my children's names down when they were born.

EatShitDerek Thu 28-Aug-14 17:58:15

My son started nursery late as I didn't know how to do it. I thought the schools contact you when they were ready blush

ladybirdandsnails Thu 28-Aug-14 18:00:03

Phone the school. They may or may not offer summer term places. Ours doesn't. You apply now for Sept. Private day nurseries and play groups will have spaces

InternetFOREVER Thu 28-Aug-14 18:00:25

If its attached to a school it may only take children for the academic year before they start reception. Would you be happy to wait til September, or to find somewhere else in the meantime?

IrnBruTheNoo Thu 28-Aug-14 18:02:44

Depends what country you're in. If you're in Scotland, it's up to yourself to get along to reception and pick up the application form. Unfortunately, unless you know people who already have nursery aged children or school aged children, you'll not be in the loop about these things.

IrnBruTheNoo Thu 28-Aug-14 18:03:48

I filled in the application form when both of mine turned 2yo, ready for their first intakes after their 3rd birthdays.

Meant to say the preschool we use takes children from 2 but only in September. Ds1 started last september even though didnt get the free hours til january. Ds2 will start next september aged 2.9 but wont get his free hours til the following april, or I could choose to keep him home for another year.

With ds1 I called the nursery in the january, applied andwas given a place in May for the September intake. It was al very simple, I just followed the instructions of the preschool.

Nonie241419 Thu 28-Aug-14 21:29:01

<not helpful> My DD turns 3 in January too, so will also start nursery in April. Like your LO, she's faaaarrrrrrr too little to be going to 'proper' nursery -wail!! <not helpful>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now