Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Cat people, help me?

(24 Posts)
PPaka Thu 28-Aug-14 12:31:46

Cat been coming to our back patio door.
Ds took a liking to it and we fed it, once.
Cat comes to the door at least 3 times every day now, about 3 weeks.
It's nervous, won't let us stroke him, but happy to come in, wandered all over the house(I followed it)
It wants to come in, but doesn't seem to want us
No collar, but I've see it around for a long time, so I'm sure it lives somewhere close.
What does it want?
And are all cats clean?
And if it comes in while I'm not watching, what's the chances of it peeing in my house?

Oldraver Thu 28-Aug-14 12:40:58

Its not your cat, dont feed it dont let it in, unless you think there is a welfare issue

addictedtosugar Thu 28-Aug-14 12:42:14

Most cats are very clean in toileting - it is very unlikely to wee in your house.
I suspect it wants somewhere warm and dry to sleep.

If you want to discourage it, a small amount of water (eg from a water pistol) is likely to disuade it from coming back.

greeneggsandjam Thu 28-Aug-14 12:44:39

I wonder if its owners are on holiday and have just left it to fend for itself.

chemenger Thu 28-Aug-14 12:48:50

I would guess it is just being nosy, one of mine would be straight in to any house he was given access to. It is very unlikely to pee, unless it is an un-neutered male, which might spray, but you would know this by now.

enriquetheringbearinglizard Thu 28-Aug-14 12:49:31

Does it look generally healthy? eg weight, shiny coat etc?
Is it almost starving?

Have you checked locally for any Lost posters, or maybe you could put some up, although careful what info you'd give in case of a bogus claim.

Shockers Thu 28-Aug-14 12:50:45

My cat often tries to get into other folk's homes. He got through a neigbour's velux and went to sleep on her bed once blush. I don't know why he does this as he's happy at home and well fed. He often follows me to the shops, but I found out not so long ago that he walks to the paper shop with our elderly neighbour every morning.

I think he just likes people (and is very nosy). Luckily we have very cat friendly neighbours.

Looserella Thu 28-Aug-14 12:53:11

He is being nosy/friendly and now you've fed him, he is coming back to see what the next meal is. He is unlikely to wee in your house. If he's healthy and seems to live close by and is getting fed you probably shouldn't encourage him anymore. His parents will miss him.

Shockers Thu 28-Aug-14 12:53:31

Is it this one...?

StrangeGlue Thu 28-Aug-14 12:55:13

I would stop letting it in, stop feeding it and explain to DS it's someone else's cat. Cats are v nosey so it probably doesn't 'want' anything. Just a nosey cat.

trufflesnout Thu 28-Aug-14 12:55:44

It's just snooping. It's not you cat so it's not very fair of you to encourage it. Ignore it from now on when it's at the door and don't feed it or let it in anymore.

OnlyLovers Thu 28-Aug-14 12:59:14

I let visiting cats in all the time. blush I'm a soft touch. I'd never feed one though; it would be setting up expectations.

They generally keep coming back regardless, so they must like me just for the strokes, right?

ThisFenceIsComfy Thu 28-Aug-14 13:00:18

I would stop feeding the cat.

Cats will eat food if people feed them. They arent silly. If it looks in ok condition then it has an owner. It is probably microchipped and that's why there isn't a collar. My cat doesn't have a collar as she hates them. She would also eat your food yet completely shun you.

Don't let the cat in, it's not your cat.

Corygal Thu 28-Aug-14 13:01:08

He sounds like your new best friend! Cats are very clean, cleaner than humans, by the way. If you like him (and why not), carry on. With no collar, better safe than sorry - he might not have an owner or have been abandoned. Look after the little lad.

PPaka Thu 28-Aug-14 13:05:02

Looks healthy enough, not skinny.

Not that one Shockers!
We only fed him once, cos I thought he must have been hungry, because he'd never come up to the door before.
I have to be quite firm to shoo him out, which I've done a dozen times now, but he still wants in.

ThisFenceIsComfy Thu 28-Aug-14 13:07:05

I think if he looks in good health then he is just nosey and you are feeding him so of course he will keep coming back.

Shockers Thu 28-Aug-14 13:10:19

Thank goodness for that! grin

Gen35 Thu 28-Aug-14 13:14:24

My cats are chipped and no collar and one is, despite being constantly given much food, unable to put on weight! They're always looking for a comfier place to sleep!! You can discourage it by making a hissing sound, or monitor over a few more weeks and see if it seems to be losing weight or stable.

Mostlyjustaluker Thu 28-Aug-14 13:24:37

My cat is a fatty and will eat food from anybody. He is one a calories controlled diet from the vet and will beg food from other people. See if you can get the children book six dinner Sid from the library to help explain it to your child.

Cats tend to kind any house in their area is part of their territory and therefore fair game for them to explore.

Let it in for cuddles but don't feed him.

LisaMed Thu 28-Aug-14 13:35:27

The vet which treated evil cat had a practice cat. On the tag around it's collar it didn't have 'name', it had, 'I am fat, do not feed me'. Some cats are moochers. I knew of another slimmer one who did the rounds of the pensioners' bungalows and dined on cream, salmon and mince. Cats really respond to food. Now you have fed it the cat will be harder to get rid of than a chugger.

I would suggest that you don't feed it but squirt it with water pistol or plant mister and have some citrus scented air fresheners around.

Your house is unlikely to be used as a cat Portaloo but you will have fur, possibly fleas and possibly a 'present' of a dead mouse/frog/spider.

Apparently the best way to deter a cat is to get a cat yourself. Also all cats are evil.

streakybacon Thu 28-Aug-14 13:39:14

I've got a lovely chap who's been visiting me for months. He started off coming to sit in the garden and stealing food I'd put out for the birds. He always used to run off if I went into the garden but gradually he got used to me being around.

I have the back door open most of the day from early spring and he started coming in, of his own accord. One day I found him curled up on the settee, quite happy. He just likes it here. He is here from first thing, has a nap for half the day, then wanders off again.

He gets the odd scrap of tuna if there's any around, but nothing that he wouldn't get if we were putting it out for the birds.

I went looking for his people last week and his mum was pleased to know where he went to (she knew something was up) and was glad I was looking after him, rather than worried that he was wandering the streets with nowhere to go. We've sort of conceded that we're cat-sharing, though neither of us has had much choice in the matter wink.

Cats are like that - they choose where they're going whether you like it or not. It's hard to say what problems it might cause if it keeps coming back to you because they are unpredictable. Also, the owner might not be as understanding as my chap's is.

If you don't want it to come, chase it away and stop feeding it if it comes back.

streakybacon Thu 28-Aug-14 13:41:19

Oh yes, the presents. We had a barbecue a couple of weeks ago and Boris contributed by bringing a sparrow for sharing. I declined.

FreudiansSlipper Thu 28-Aug-14 13:47:43

My cat likes to visit other houses even though at times he is quite nervous

I have seen him come out of our neighbours pretending not to be there trotted along the road and then turned round looking surprised to see me hmm he also visits another neighbour I think she has encouraged him I am not bothered he loves all the attention

Not sure if they are feeding him if they are hopefully not more than a few biscuits

enriquetheringbearinglizard Thu 28-Aug-14 14:10:00

My daughter is out all day and her cats can come and go as they please. They wear collars and are chipped. One's a very distinctive special breed.
That one was gradually piling on the weight and had to have a 'Do Not Feed' collar to replace the usual one. It was obviously visiting someone who was enjoying the company and feeding as well.

On the other hand we ended up taking in a visiting cat that looked well and we thought was just a wanderer, but turned out to have been abandoned.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now