Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

The strangest thing that someone has said to you....

(82 Posts)
murphys Thu 28-Aug-14 11:34:04

I am still laughing about mine:

Over the weekend we met a couple through other friends. The wife asked me what I do for a living, so I told her the details of my business and what I do. To which she replied " Well blow me over with a feather, how can you run your own business, you are so tiny"

confused I'm not that tiny really, but I am fairly slim.

CoolCat2014 Thu 28-Aug-14 11:36:25

Tiny people running businesses? Whatever next???

Mine was when I was severely depressed teenager. As I walked out the for the shrink said "don't kill yourself.... On your shoelaces!"

I still don't understand why he said that.hmm

cafesociety Thu 28-Aug-14 12:12:04

I was having a crisis as my mother had neglected me, been emotionally abusive, been unkind to my children, been disinterested, distant, cold and been critical and judgmental to me for a large part of my life......and I'd had enough. It was now affecting my health.

My aunt said 'you were fed, clothed and housed...what more do you want?'

Err, love? care? support? attention? kindness? interest? praise? encouragement? affection?

Because I'm damn sure I give this to my own children.

loveliesbleeding1 Thu 28-Aug-14 12:20:47

"I love your hair, I would love to stroke it one day".
while I was on the bus when I was a platinum blonde 22 year old, by an old man, freaky.

TonyThePony Thu 28-Aug-14 12:47:32

Somebody once ranted at me and questioned me about "why do 'they' insist on making it rain all the time, don't 'they' know we'd like some sunshine once in a while?!"

No idea who 'they' are.

mrspremise Thu 28-Aug-14 13:01:25

Chatting to my DC, as you do, about what they'd like to be 'when they grow up'. DS "I can't decide, maybe a farmer, a doctor or a chef". DS (after some thought) "a pelican" confused

Nocturne123 Thu 28-Aug-14 13:14:08

The midwife asked me yesterday if I was tall .. She was right in front of me .. I'm 5ft . It was very bizarre

Angelto5 Thu 28-Aug-14 13:16:49

While in labour with dc5 a consultant with 5 student doctors advising me to think about contraception!!
Ffs can I give birth first???
shockhmmconfused

losthermind Thu 28-Aug-14 13:17:10

"Be glad I don't work in a morgue because if you died i would violate your body" some absolute fucking weirdo in a pub a few years ago....

LEMmingaround Thu 28-Aug-14 13:20:48

Meeting a friend of a friend ages ago she looked at me up and down and said "you have a perfect face" thank you very much i preened "but i can see the hair up your nose" shock

I had been prewarned that she was a bit odd. Nice though.

Thisvehicleisreversing Thu 28-Aug-14 13:22:01

A crazy lady as I got off the train when I was a 17 yo goth.

"Oh my, oh my, evil child, evil child, get Allah in your life, now! Quick!"

Shouted at me as I hurried away.

GallopingGlacier Thu 28-Aug-14 13:23:55

I was waiting for the bus when an old lady came up to me, really staring at me with eyes like saucers. She reached out and stroked my face. When I jumped back she said "I just wanted to check you weren't a ghost as I never see anyone waiting for the bus here". There were about five other people waiting at the stop with me.

Acolyte Thu 28-Aug-14 13:32:31

"Are you married, have a boyfriend?" "somebody as beautiful as you must be. Would you let me chew the gusset of your knickers?"

confused
"Erm, no, no I wouldn't"

His unique chat up style soon earned him a broken femur when he was pushed downstairs at a club by an irate fella. His story was that he was protecting somebody being mugged but the local paper said otherwise grin

Angelto5 Thu 28-Aug-14 13:34:03

A more recent one was in Glastonbury a few weeks ago.As me ,dh & our dc were leaving the car park a strange man said "hello humans have a nice day" my ds(15) was highly amused by this.
Then when we were walking through the high street I had my youngest in a carrier,we passed an old lady who seemed to be cuddling a bunch of sticks-she then said "I have a fairy" she then looked up & noticed me carrying my dd & said"I see you have a fairy too"
Very bizarre day grin

momofmonster Thu 28-Aug-14 13:38:45

When i was younger my boyfriends housemate told me "you have a very symmetrical face - it makes you look like a doll" this same person also expressed that he thought it would be fun if he could put a saddle on my back and ride me round the house!!!! he was being serious!! My boyfriend made sure that guy didnt stay living there for much longer!!!

You look just like Scarlett Johansen (sp?) when you look over your shoulder.

^ Some bloke in behind me in the queue at passport control when I turned around to look at whoever was bashing my ankles with their suitcase.

I really don't. At all.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Thu 28-Aug-14 13:45:19

I was told on Glastonbury Tor that we were all doomed. There would be 'an event' and Jeff Buckley would come back as our saviour. I was given a laminated piece of A4 (I still have it) with stars drawn inside JB's coffee rings. hmm I hadn't heard Of Jeff Buckley at that point. Since then I see his name everywhere and recently discovered that we share a birthday. Odd.

murphys Thu 28-Aug-14 13:47:12

I had a good giggle at these, there are some very odd folk about....

Stratter5 Thu 28-Aug-14 13:52:26

Ooh, that's weird, Joffrey.

hotfuzzra Thu 28-Aug-14 13:58:54

"Oh wow you're tall!" All the time.

purpleapples Thu 28-Aug-14 13:59:21

coolcat Some folk tie their shoe laces together to make a noose to commit suicide. He was possibly referring to that. (Prison officers take shoe laces and belts from people in custody to avoid this).

Bloody awful thing for a therapist to say to you sad

Maisyblue Thu 28-Aug-14 14:00:57

On holiday in Egypt years ago I was walking through a busy market and a complete stranger said "hello maisyblue" as he passed in the opposite direction. He said it in such a normal voice, as if he saw me regularly that I didn't immediately realise how bizarre it was.

"You're tall" all the time, by people who have known me for ages. I am 5ft 3.

meltedmonterayjack Thu 28-Aug-14 14:04:06

When I was 9 a boy in my class at primary school (we weren't friends, or enemies either ) just looked at me and calmly said "I'm going to get you when I grow up".

I still remember his name and I still haven't forgotten what he said or stopped wondering why on earth he should say that?! Very odd.

I'm 53 and so far he hasn't 'got me'! hmm

Velocirapture Thu 28-Aug-14 14:04:20

coolcat or maybe he thought you were about to trip over them....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now