Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

healthy breakfasts

(40 Posts)
averageanomoly Thu 28-Aug-14 07:26:23

4 year old DS is starting reception next week, he's going to be havig packed lunch so i would prefer him to have a breakfast that isn't too high on bread/toast. he doesn't really like porridge, he'll eat cereal but i'm not sure if there is a 'healthy; cereal or they're all packed full of sugar? We're relatively short of time. 45 minutes ish to get us all dressed, showered (adults), fed and out the door so probably wouldn't have time to have anything cooked, I did consider fruit and yogurt but is this substantial enough to go to school on?

CatKisser Thu 28-Aug-14 07:35:17

How about boiled egg and soldiers?

CatKisser Thu 28-Aug-14 07:36:26

Sorry, just seen the no cooking thing. Well, it's not really cooking - and I think something warm for breakfast on winter mornings always goes down well.

DoAndroidsDream Thu 28-Aug-14 07:36:39

You say he doesn't like porridge, but would he have one of the flavoured oats so simple?

You could cook a few days worth of sausages and bacon, keep in the fridge to heat up in the microwave in the morning.

averageanomoly Thu 28-Aug-14 07:39:55

could try the oats so simple (but is that as bad as sugar filled cereal?) sausage and bacon pre cooked is a good idea, but not sure if every day it might be too much processed meat (especially as packed lunches are likely to include ham/cheese on rotation) I like the idea of boiled egg and soldiers (but it is bread again) i suppose the alternative is to think of non bread items for packed lunch?

OneLittleToddleTerror Thu 28-Aug-14 07:40:31

Have a look at
www.nhs.uk/news/2012/02February/Pages/breakfast-cereals-still-too-high-in-sugar.aspx

It recommends a couple of healthy cereals and also guidelines on what is too much sugar and salt. I've been using the 12.5% rule for myself and have managed to find some granola and museli close to that. (Ie 12-14%) from brands like Dorset cereal and rude health. It's shocking once you read the labels how many are 30% or more sugar!

DD eats weetabix so she's easy.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 28-Aug-14 07:43:20

What OneLittlesays is true.
Bran flakes for example you would think are healthy -but, packed with sugar.

Why not a good quality bread/toast, out of interest?

DoAndroidsDream Thu 28-Aug-14 07:45:16

You could make a spanish omelette cut into slices and store in the fridge. This has potatoes and veg in it. There are links to similar recipes further down the page, to find one that has ingredients that he will like.

averageanomoly Thu 28-Aug-14 07:46:41

because he'll be having sandwiches for lunch and two nights a week he'll go to sessions at the childminder where the default snack seems to be something on toast. if it's the best thing for him though, toast is definitely the easiest and he'd eat it no problem, just trying to make his diet as well balanced as possible and confusing myself with options! smile

winnertakesitall Thu 28-Aug-14 07:48:44

You could make pancake mix and put in the fridge the night before, and quickly make in the morning with fruit or honey. Bread is very filling, especially if whole meal or the lovely seedy ones.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 28-Aug-14 07:51:32

I agree with what someone else said then -unbread the lunch options and replace with oat cakes, rice cakes, pasta etc -a much easier option!

winnertakesitall Thu 28-Aug-14 07:51:59

My ds is starting school this year too and I hate to say this, but I will be getting up earlier so that I can make him a warm breakfast. Ham and egg cups, boiled eggs, eggy bread, beans on toast, and yes- the obligatory fruit salad (in addition- not as a meal in itself). You are probably already getting up early, but this is my way of fitting in a warm meal. We will have to walk half an hour to school so I want him to have something hot (albeit bread based!) prior to setting out.

WaxyDaisy Thu 28-Aug-14 07:53:40

Beno box with pasta in for lunch. So much quicker to make than sandwiches. The Aladdin ones are good. Pre make suitable sauces in batches and freeze. Then in the morning you have to boil and drain some pasta, plus tip in a microwaved pot of sauce. Grated cheese in a pot to tip on top optional. You can also do 'risotto' using orzo in batches (rice is no good, as the bento keeps it warm for several hours), freeze in portions and microwave on the day. Soup/stew with a wholemeal roll separately is an option too.

Leftovers for breakfast? We have social norms around breakfast, but really more arson not to eat 'dinner' foods.

WaxyDaisy Thu 28-Aug-14 07:53:54

Beno=Bento

WaxyDaisy Thu 28-Aug-14 07:54:42

More arson= no reason. Sigh

WaxyDaisy Thu 28-Aug-14 07:55:31

Another breakfast idea is to pre-make pancakes and freeze them.

DoAndroidsDream Thu 28-Aug-14 07:55:54

winnertakesitall, pancake mix is a good idea & it will keep for a couple of days.

averageanomoly Thu 28-Aug-14 07:57:13

boiled eggs, eggy bread and beans on toast i could do on my time scale, it's just the bread thing. He will eat seeded bread though so maybe that is best and think of other things for lunch time. (get up at 5 30 to go to the gym and this is really the only time i could go so i'm loathe to swap it)
so crackers and cheese, savory scones, wraps etc, does that even help the problem or am i just swapping for things that are just as bad and still not varied?

callamia Thu 28-Aug-14 07:58:06

Oatcakes? You can make them with porridge oats, bit of flour, pinch if baking powder and a couple of eggs and include bits of fruit, cinnamon etc. Just make them like pancakes.

You can make a pile and they keep fine in the fridge in Tupperware for a few days. I use them for easy snacks for DS, but they're a good breakfast when they're warmed through.

Having toast some days will be fine, esp with something like a boiled egg.

DoAndroidsDream Thu 28-Aug-14 07:58:07

WaxyDaisy, lol at more arson. Yes, let's set fire to breakfast cereals. grin

Unlabelled Thu 28-Aug-14 07:58:10

You could make your own granola without the sugar, store it in a tupperware and have it with warm milk or yogurt.

Zippidydoodah Thu 28-Aug-14 07:59:07

None of the children in my class/school that I've seen, take warm foods eg soup/warm pasta in a bento box etc. is this the norm? I would happily give my dc a cold pasta salad but just can't imagine giving them food that has been kept warm (somehow). Plus the thermos of soup would get spilt. Just sounds a bit much for a 4 year old.

Mine will be sampling free school meals, however...

DoAndroidsDream Thu 28-Aug-14 07:59:35

so crackers and cheese, savory scones, wraps etc,

That's still wheat based, so I don't think any better than a decent bread toasted.

Zippidydoodah Thu 28-Aug-14 08:01:07

Oh, sorry, nobody mentioned warm soup in a thermos (must have been another thread!)

winnertakesitall Thu 28-Aug-14 08:02:34

Have you got a slow cooker? (Is this mn bingo?!)- you could do a hot lunch in that overnight. You can do jacket potatoes in it- and could the put that in a thermos with tuna mayo, prawn mayo, three bean chilli etc.

I like Weetabix with hot milk and mashed banana and raisins for breakfast- warm and filling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now