Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Am I right to be a bit peeved?

(28 Posts)
WalkWithTheLonelyOnes Wed 27-Aug-14 22:32:39

DP works in a tiny garage with 2 other people, one of which DP has worked with before and is good mates with. We've gone out together with him and his DP.

I've started a new job (woo hoo) but due to the shift pattern and my anxiety getting to work is hard.

This guy, we'll call him S, has a car that he has been given and is now selling. Nothing special but would do me as a first car. He has done all the work on this car whenever it came into their garage and has told DP that it runs great and has been well looked after.

He's selling it very cheaply and knows that I am looking to start driving. We offered full asking price but he offered DP a price slightly lower than what he is selling it for.

DP accepts and we've paid half off and it has been sat at the garage. DP then watches S start the car and realises there's some kind of issue.

He then looks over the car (I know this should have been done first but we didn't think we'd need to) and finds several small faults. The parts will cost about £50 but DP will fit them.

Is it wrong of me to get a tiny bit peeved that S didn't mention them? I feel a bit like we were naive and now I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'm not wanting money off but I feel a bit disappointed that he didn't mention them. DP says that they are unmissable.

We still would have bought the car and DP is happy to do the work but it seems a bit shady that he didn't mention this confused

Would you be peeved?

KnackeredMuchly Wed 27-Aug-14 22:51:20

£50 is not really an issue in the scheme of a car, I wouldn't get worked up about it.

WalkWithTheLonelyOnes Wed 27-Aug-14 23:30:58

It's not the money it's the fact that he knew these were problems but didn't bother telling us. It's not that he's lied, he just wasn't honest and that's what's pissed me off

WalkWithTheLonelyOnes Wed 27-Aug-14 23:31:56

Also £50 is more than the amount that he reduced the price by. Not that it matters but it's just annoyed me.

EatShitDerek Wed 27-Aug-14 23:35:00

Probably why he reduced the price.

I haven't heard that word in a while. Peeved

JulyKit Wed 27-Aug-14 23:35:31

£50 is very, very, little.

For how long is the car MOTed, taxed, etc? These things will make up £50 easily (unless the car's imminently in need of both - in which case, how are tires, etc?) £50 is very, very little in relation to a car.

WalkWithTheLonelyOnes Thu 28-Aug-14 00:02:18

july no MOT and no tax atm. It's not being driven just stored at the garage.

He was originally selling for 250 but is selling it to us for 225.

As I said it's not the money. It's the principle

BeachyKeen Thu 28-Aug-14 00:16:44

Woah! Do you mean you can buy a car for less than 300? Even with the difference, that is 540.00$ Canadian. I am in shock. You can't get a second hand road worthy car here for under 2000.00.
shock

Sandiacre Thu 28-Aug-14 00:19:17

Until it has had its MOT check no one really knows if it is roadworthy.

WalkWithTheLonelyOnes Thu 28-Aug-14 00:27:05

sandi DP says it wouldn't pass MOT the way it is now.

beachy it's a tiny old car. It's just for me once I've passed my test as a first car.

I guess IABU (not brave enough to post there)

Vycount Thu 28-Aug-14 00:28:49

As someone who lives with a car mechanic I have to say you'd be very lucky to buy a car with no issues for that price. Is your DP a mechanic? If so I'm sure he'd expect to have some jobs to do and also should have looked it over before buying. I don't think you should be peeved, £275 and a bit of labour to get it roadworthy is a bargain.

Vycount Thu 28-Aug-14 00:30:41

p.s. My VW Polo was £150, we paid about £80 for some parts and DP fixed it so yes Beachy, we can buy cars that cheap over here, they just tend to need a bit of TLC. grin

Unless the car is complete shit heap then £225 is a bargain. One of my monthly payments on my car is more than that

WalkWithTheLonelyOnes Thu 28-Aug-14 00:32:20

vycount that's the thing though. It does have issues. DP is a mechanic and has said it would never pass an MOT.

If DP wasn't a mechanic it would have been worse because it would have cist so much in labour. Right now all I'd need to pay for is parts that can be bought at trade price and then DP would do it.

His colleague must have know this but didn't think to mention it and we didn't think to check as he said it works fine and we trust him

MrsWinnibago Thu 28-Aug-14 00:33:26

Beachy my DH is always like that about the cheapness of 2nd hand cars. He's Aussie and in South Oz you can't get anything for less than a few grand. Even rubbishy old cars.

WalkWithTheLonelyOnes Thu 28-Aug-14 00:34:15

Noarmani it's not a shit heap but not far. Think of that car out of the Inbetweeners with the red door. Similar but not that one.

I wasn't expecting a ferrari but if he had have given us the heads up it would have been nice.

BeachyKeen Thu 28-Aug-14 00:34:55

Holy shit. I think we need to have a water for cars trade or something
I took a look on line just now, the cheapest 2nd car listed today is 2000.00 for a 2003 Elantra.

What were you expecting for £225? My first car 14 years ago was basic and even that cost significantly more

BeachyKeen Thu 28-Aug-14 00:36:17

And its ugly as sin

WalkWithTheLonelyOnes Thu 28-Aug-14 00:38:20

Noarmani I was expecting to get a car that would run me to work and that had low insurance.

I wasn't expecting for it to have a load of repairs as DP's colleague said he'd done all the previous work and it ran fine.

It's not the money. It's that fact that he wasn't truthful

DeWee Thu 28-Aug-14 00:42:54

Surely you check it before you buy it, even if you know and trust the person selling? confused If nothing else something someone else thinks is "fine I'd live with that" could be something you would hate to have.

bloodyteenagers Thu 28-Aug-14 00:43:06

Why are you annoyed at S?
Your dp is a mechanic, so rather dumb to not check over a car that he is buying. S shouldn't have needed to give anyone the heads up. Your dp should have used any common sense he may possess and check it over.

you say if your dp wasn't a mechanic it would have been worse.. Well no actually because generally Joe Bloggs from off the street would have checked it over and asked questions. And chances are, wouldn't have bought it.

Pancakeflipper Thu 28-Aug-14 00:48:49

I think if you want a car to do what you want, then this is not the car for you. You probably need minimum of £1,000 for the safety and and reliability you require.
Ask decent independent car dealers to look out for what you want and get your mechanical DH to check it out.

WalkWithTheLonelyOnes Thu 28-Aug-14 00:49:19

As I said we naively went for it. Something I know other's have done one MN but it would have been nice to be given the heads up anyway.

I'm not disputing that we were silly in not checking but I'm sure other people have done similar

WalkWithTheLonelyOnes Thu 28-Aug-14 00:50:31

pancake I don't have £1000 to buy a car with. If I did I wouldn't be buying this one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now