Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Just Had THE Most Ridiculous Argument

(33 Posts)
WhatTheActualHell Wed 27-Aug-14 22:17:12

Name changed... regular... etc.

Anyway, text conversation with DP, I was saying something about something happening somewhere in the north, then "I think it might be Manchester". He came back with, "So not the north then". I was like... Manchester is in the north... he said he doesn't class it as the north as it isn't in the north east and to someone who lives in the north it's the south. I said I feel like he's trying to be arsey on purpose, he just came back with,

"This is fucking ridiculous! I've never had an argument like it! Tell you what WhatTheHell, text me when your hormones have calmed down, I have my own shit to deal with".

Am I completely in the wrong here? Should I have said, "Yes dear, you're right, Manchester is in the south"?? Argh!!

PenisesAreNotPink Wed 27-Aug-14 22:20:19

I'm Scottish and I also weirdly have to rethink when people say the North as to me only Scotland is the north - and I'm in the south east

Trills Wed 27-Aug-14 22:20:33

Manchester is in the North. But I can see the Game of Thrones "everything South of the Wall is the South to us" argument.

But accusing someone of being arsey on purpose is the point when you turn a difference of opinion into an argument.

MamaPain Wed 27-Aug-14 22:22:34

Is ridiculous.

What he said was sexist and ridiculous.

However, you're the one who escalated it to an argument so you're in the wrong.

Princessgenie Wed 27-Aug-14 22:23:02

I live in the north. Well Yorkshire. But that's North. Manchester is north too. He's being an arse

curiousgeorgie Wed 27-Aug-14 22:23:57

North to me is Leeds, Manchester, Yorkshire, Scotland...

I'm in the south east.

You need a bloody big apology from your husband.

Here is the "official" criteria for what towns are in the north of England. As decided by HM REvenue and customs. Manchester is listed.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_England

I'd be livid if my DH spoke to me like that. "Speak to me when your hormones have calmed down" how fucking patronising. Especially when it turns out he's wrong.

jonicomelately Wed 27-Aug-14 22:27:47

Manchester is in the north as per how it is defined geographically, socially, politically, economically etc.

WhatTheActualHell Wed 27-Aug-14 22:28:15

So I should be a Stepford wife and just agree with everything he says? Even after we agreed to stop talking about it then 5 minutes later he text again to start going on again?? Wow.

We're near Hartlepool...

I'd reply with 'Get back to me when you've got your testosterone under control'

Twat.

Him, not you.

I am in Scotland and even I would accept that Manchester is in the North of England.

Coolas Wed 27-Aug-14 22:29:31

Of course Manchester is in the north. He's being an idiot. Just laugh along.

Ichneesanshee Wed 27-Aug-14 22:29:39

I asked my Dh - he reckons that everything above Birmingham is North, and everything below it is South - on the basis that Birmingham is in the Midlands!

On that logic, Manchester is in the North!

NatJon Wed 27-Aug-14 22:30:22

The"text me when you're hormones have calmed down" would annoy me more than the argument. What a twat.

FunkyBoldRibena Wed 27-Aug-14 22:30:32

Where North is has nothing to do with your hormones. I think of south as being below the m4, north as above Buxton and the midlands in between.

I am a southerner who has loved in the midlands for 20 odd years.

The line at which you draw north and south divides, will depend on where you have mainly lived, rather than your hormones I suspect.

Yes, the 'hormone' quip is what grates.
Wrt to Manchester he is just plain wrong.

grocklebox Wed 27-Aug-14 22:31:24

where do you live? if its south of manchester,he's a fucking moron.

MamaPain Wed 27-Aug-14 22:32:20

It's not to do with being a stepford wife. Obviously you should disagree if you want to but why cause him of being arsey on purpose. It sounds like he was just making a benign comment about it not being in the north. I think you've turned it into an actual row by saying he was being intentionally arsey.

leadrightfoot Wed 27-Aug-14 22:32:24

Grrr DH makes fatuous statements like "so not x y z then" when he wants to make a point.
Really boils my piss
Usually ends up with me telling him to grow up and or to do one. When I actually confront him with this behaviour and ask WHY does he take this tone / response / make a point over nothing - does it make him feel big and clever and why us me as a virtual punch bag he says sorry or if he is being a complete arse and starts down the it's you not me road he gets an arse kicking.
I'd just say you are in the south, therefore it is north of here so get a bloody grip
his comments are sexist and largely unwarranted but picking an argument doesn't really achieve a lot.
Not sure where you go from here

Icimoi Wed 27-Aug-14 22:33:41

It's ludicrous to define everything in terms of where you are at any given time. If he moved to Birmingham, would he then decide Manchester was in the North? And if he lived in Devon, would he decree that Somerset is in the North?

I'm in Liverpool, which is slightly further south than Manchester and I consider myself Northern! What exactly does he mean it's not North if it's not in the North East? hmm What is the difference between the North East and the North West? confused

MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 27-Aug-14 22:35:07

Of course what he said was offensive.

But you might want to pick your battles before you call him arsey. Sometimes yes, you just leave it. Not worth arguing about how one defines the geographical location of Manchester.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 27-Aug-14 22:35:53

And its not in the north east, its in the north west.

WhatTheActualHell Wed 27-Aug-14 22:38:00

Thanks to the understanding ones that actually get why I'm so upset! Shouts and swears and tells me it's my hormones (obviously!!) and people saying it's my fault... crikey... I'm so out of touch with how men should treat women!!

MaidOfStars Wed 27-Aug-14 22:38:12

Is Chesterfield not officially the gateway to The North?

Anyway, I live in Manchester and it is The North. There may be geographical quibbles but The North, in my opinion, is as much a cultural description as a geographical one.

AlpacaPicnic Wed 27-Aug-14 22:41:38

I'm as far south as you can get without being in Cornwall... Everything is 'north' to me... Including Exeter.
Your husband seems to be acting a nob.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now