Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

beta blockers

(27 Posts)
TheEndOfTheWorldAsIKnowIt Wed 27-Aug-14 21:29:54

Hi. I have been struggling with my mental health recently I was prescribed sertraline a few months ago which seemed to be helping to take the edge off and help me cope. I have had a few rough weeks after finding out my 'd'p was texting his ex saying all sorts about me and our relationship. I have spiraled into a deep, numb hole and am really struggling to cope. I had an appointment yesterday with the Gp and I had an awful panic attack in the waiting room and the drs room. The Gp prescribed beta blockers twice a day to calm me down but I am frightened to take them. I don't know anyone who has taken them.
Has anyone had them? What do they do and what are the side effects?
Thank you.

TheEndOfTheWorldAsIKnowIt Wed 27-Aug-14 23:08:43

Anyone?

lemonmarmalade Wed 27-Aug-14 23:12:18

They are quite commonly prescribed for anxiety, they help with the physical symptoms like racing heart etc.

I have taken them with no noticeable side effects.

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time.

FuckyNell Wed 27-Aug-14 23:15:26

Hi yes I take them for my fear of flying. What dose have you been prescribed?

gamerchick Wed 27-Aug-14 23:19:32

They stop the physical part of anxiety.. I've been on them for months.

Depending on what you've been given the first week or so I had a bit of a tight chest but all side effects passed completely when I was used to them.

They're an as and when pill unlike anti ds. I would recommend them to anybody.

PumpkinBones Wed 27-Aug-14 23:20:20

I used to take beta blockers when I was going through a period of anxiety and regular panic attacks - probably over about 3 years.
They stop you getting the rush of adrenaline that kicks off a panic attack and have a mild relaxing effect. Apparently popular with snooker players!
I had a lot of anxiety about the possibility of having a panic attack, issues with where I was in a room, (had to sit on the end of rows) and social anxiety. I found them helpful in breaking the cycle of panic attacks, I was probably a bit fixated on them as a strategy. I had antidepressants as well but the beta blockers were probably more helpful as they had an immediate effect.

Ruhrpott Wed 27-Aug-14 23:22:32

I take them for my heart condition. The lower my pulse rate and my blood pressure.

Euphemia Wed 27-Aug-14 23:22:51

I've been taking them for migraines for about 6 weeks with no side effects at all.

InculKate Wed 27-Aug-14 23:24:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I've been taking a beta blocker since last October because of severe stress and anxiety. The tablets block the action of adrenaline, calming a stress reaction, your heart rate, stops your hands shaking...those types of reactions.

I am a calmer, more relaxed person on these, and oddly, with less pmt!

The only noticeable side effect I had was waking up at about 5am for 10-15 mins before dropping back to sleep, and that was for the first couple of days.

I hope things improve for you (((hugs)))

Mrsjayy Wed 27-Aug-14 23:25:53

I was on them for a yearish the ones I was prescribed was when I needed them the stop your heart beating so fast when anxiety kicks that causes that adrenalin rush, they really helped me I used to think I was taking a heart attack the panic attacks werecso bad. Take them and if you are not sure go back to the drs. They non addictive and ime they wotk well. Sorry life is shit for you atm

TheEndOfTheWorldAsIKnowIt Thu 28-Aug-14 08:18:13

Thanks for the replies. Nice to hear some positive experiences. I have got another appointment today for another health issue and they will need to do bloods, blood pressure and things so thought I'd better wait incase the tablets affect the results.
I can't believe it has come to this. I need to fill myself with tablets to help me get through the day. sad
Ive read that they can make you gain weight, has anyone found this?

missmartha Thu 28-Aug-14 08:28:28

I've been taking them for a racing heart for a number of years now with no noticeable side effects.

I haven't gained any weight. I know a few people who take them for this and that, none have gained weight.

Mrsjayy Thu 28-Aug-14 08:39:59

Lovey if you had a physical heart condition they could be prescribed for that and you would take them its no different we all needed them to help us. No I didn't gain weight

TheEndOfTheWorldAsIKnowIt Thu 28-Aug-14 08:51:33

I know mrsjayy. I put off taking anti depressants for years as I have struggled on and off since I was a teenager. It is thanks to some great advice from lovely mners about depression being like any other illnesses that you wouldn't hesitate to treat with medication that I decided to give it a try. It was helping until all this started.

Mrsjayy Thu 28-Aug-14 08:55:43

Its just shit the panic attack s they are frightening as the come on so sudden out of nowhere if you do take them they help you cope as the racing heart and stomach knot stops or subsides so you can take charge of the attack instead of it taking charge of you,

TheEndOfTheWorldAsIKnowIt Thu 28-Aug-14 09:01:52

I know they are awful. A lovely lady stopped and helped me outside the doctors, calmed me down said she understood because she had suffered too then gave me a hug before I went back in.
I have been waiting for this hospital appointment for months. Now I can feel the panic rising, my palms are sweating and my heart is racing. It isn't until later this afternoon I just hope I can make myself go.

Mrsjayy Thu 28-Aug-14 09:18:11

Take a tablet

TheEndOfTheWorldAsIKnowIt Thu 28-Aug-14 09:42:44

Won't it affect my blood results later?Do they work straight away?

Mrsjayy Thu 28-Aug-14 10:01:51

Oh I dont know phone the clinic will bring your blood pressure down I think

myroomisatip Thu 28-Aug-14 10:02:28

I took them for some months and I felt that they made me feel very tired but they did help me through a difficult time.

You can take a tablet, just make sure you let your Dr. aware that you are taking them because they can help to lower blood pressure.

Hope things improve for you soon flowers

Mrsjayy Thu 28-Aug-14 10:02:41

The work within half an hour if I remember right

Kennington Thu 28-Aug-14 10:09:24

I took them for anxiety

Were great for that, I still take them occasionally. I didn't gain weight.

They take about an hour to kick in

They won't affect your bloods

dawndonnaagain Thu 28-Aug-14 10:10:30

I take them for a racing heart, not found any problems with them and certainly noticed a difference when dealing with difficult situations.

gamerchick Thu 28-Aug-14 10:17:44

I was worried about gaining weight but I haven't.

If you're feeling anxious then take one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now