Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How long should a wedding dress be?

(18 Posts)

Have finally accepted that I am not going to get my fat arse (or back, to be precise) in my wedding dress in 5 weeks time. sad

Have found a stunning dress that I love, but it is 53 inches from the underarm to the floor, and I am only 50 inches..

Have got dh to measure me in my wedding shoes and I am 52.5 inches in those.

Will I get away with it, or look silly?

EatShitDerek Wed 27-Aug-14 21:06:22

As long or as short as you want it

Frikadellen Wed 27-Aug-14 21:07:58

depends on what type of fabric it is imo.. if it doesnt have some obvious lacing then yes i think you can get away with it.

Shesparkles Wed 27-Aug-14 21:09:39

You'll need to get it shortened, or you'll end up putting your shoes through it. When I alter full length dresses I usually do them about half an inch above the floor.

TheHouseatWhoCorner Wed 27-Aug-14 21:09:40

I presume you've not bought it yet? Can you try it on? Does it have a waistline that you could get a tailor to take up if necessary?

It is silk, with netting underneath.

I really really like it.....

It belongs to my best friends sister, who hasn't worn it, but she has kindly sent me all the measurements.

If I want it, I can have it for nothing, and best friend will drop it off to me the day before I renew my vows.

After she flies thousands of miles from New Zealand

This isn't going to work is it?sad

TheHouseatWhoCorner Thu 28-Aug-14 08:53:35

Eek. I think you're going to need a Plan B.

What if she has measured the dress tight into the underarm but it actually sits a bit lower? Then you'd have an inch or more too long. Can you wear higher shoes?

Eebahgum Thu 28-Aug-14 09:22:53

2.5 inches is quite a small heel. Could you get something 3 - 3.5 instead?

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Thu 28-Aug-14 09:31:55

My dress ended up too long. It was taken up / fitted according to my height in heels but I couldn't manage them past the ceremony. blush The length of my dress did not ruin my memories in anyway, even if it did look rather odd!

Lovecat Thu 28-Aug-14 09:37:15

My dress was at least an inch too long, despite it being professionally measured and altered AND me wearing 3.5 inch stilettos!

I ended up doing a sort of kick-step up the aisle to keep the front from getting caught up. It was so long and full-skirted no-one could see me do this, however, so I was the only one who knew - and it was a funny story (eventually!) It looked great in the pictures, though, so don't worry about that.

If yours is full you too may get away with it, but not if it's a fitted style. You mention netting, so I assume it's not fitted...?

It's not a massive meringue, but it does sit out about a foot all round.

Gah!

It's that or try to lose 3 inches of back and rib fat in 5 weeks. (Bearing in mind I have a week all inclusive before I wear the dress)

VirtualPointyHat Thu 28-Aug-14 10:19:31

What dress size are you? Maybe someone on here has one you can borrow?

My lovely Monsoon dress is a 12 and much too small. This one is a 12/14 with a corset back.

I'm not sure about borrowing one though, what if it got lost on the plane or I damaged it!

I suppose I could wear higher heels, but I tend to live in flats so concerned I would end up in agony!

sashh Thu 28-Aug-14 10:24:34

The netting will make it shorter, as could you depending on your belly. I have skirts that are ankle or shin length depending on my weight.

Get someone to try it on with the netting if that is separate and get someone to measure the distance from underarm to the floor, not the length of the dress.

VestaCurry Thu 28-Aug-14 10:26:09

How much would it cost if she sent it to you earlier and you pay the postage?

Trouble is my friend is over 6ft and her sis is 38weeks pregnant! And they are 12000 miles away obviously.

Her dsis is only 0.5 inch taller than me, surely that won't make much difference?

Vesta, no idea, but I sent her a small parcel last year and that was over 20 quid. And it took 3 weeks to get there, so would be cutting it fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now