Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Quick pie-related question

(26 Posts)
CatKisser Wed 27-Aug-14 17:34:06

I've had steak and kidney cooking away in the slow cooker this afternoon, it smells so good!
Found an appropriate sized pie dish but not sure whether I should do a bottom layer and a top, or just a top.
Seem to remember my grandmother used to do two layers...
What would you do?
<obviously life changingly earth shatteringly important>

zzzzz Wed 27-Aug-14 21:35:57

It's not a pie though....it's something namby pamby probably described as en croute.

Get out the duet and reach for your inner Brit.

DoAndroidsDream Wed 27-Aug-14 20:44:14

The last Fray Bentos we had didn't have a bottom. Just a top and bit around the sides.

Agree that suet pastry is soooo easy to make. It makes a real meal of it.

zzzzz Wed 27-Aug-14 20:40:45

Suet is EASIER than butter pastry. Use the veg kind (which I know sounds weird but is lush).

grocklebox Wed 27-Aug-14 20:38:35

Sounds nice but its not a pie. Its a stew with a pastry hat on.

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Wed 27-Aug-14 20:35:57

Love the picture too!

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Wed 27-Aug-14 20:34:13

Thank you for recipe, sounds delicious - I know stews and whatnot are chucking it all in together, but I'm not very good at them yet!

I bet Mary dons a wig and dark glasses occasionally and nips down to Tesco for a Fray Bentos.

CatKisser Wed 27-Aug-14 19:09:33

The thought of Mary Berry tucking into a Fray Bentos is akin to imagining Gandhi launching a nuclear missile!

Itsfab Wed 27-Aug-14 19:08:39

I am glad to see you realise the importance of pie grin

I would do top and bottom because I love pastry.

We had liver and kidney yesterday, £1.66 for a pack of each. Still can't get over how cheap but nice it was.

mermaidstale Wed 27-Aug-14 19:07:29

So what does Mary Berry say about Fray Bentos? They always had soggy bottoms.

CatKisser Wed 27-Aug-14 19:00:22

And enough for a nice big dinner tomorrow, as well.
<kisses slow cooker>

CatKisser Wed 27-Aug-14 18:58:35

Local butcher, justmuddling as did the beef skirt. I will defo be going there again.
Belated pic attached!

justmuddlingalong Wed 27-Aug-14 18:49:47

Can I ask where you got the kidneys. They're hard to get here? TIA

CatKisser Wed 27-Aug-14 18:46:40

Omg I take my modesty back.
It's the best steak and kidney pie ever

CatKisser Wed 27-Aug-14 18:41:29

Cannot pretend my recipe is the best, but you're more than welcome to it. Sorry it's vague - I just made it up.

Beef skirt (this is the THE best cut for slow cooking. Chop it up and roll in seasoned flour.
Chop chestnut mushrooms and red onions and a clove of garlic. Fry them up and put them in the pan/slow cooker. Next do the chopped kidneys. I never fry them too long as they smell like piss. (Sorry, true though!)
Fry the beef next and chuck it in the pot. De glaze the pan with a bit of beer and toss it in. Add some more beer and beef stock.
Simmer.

And the rest is obvious.

Annoyingly, I've realised I forgot to egg wash my pie. I was going to post a pic too sad

hugoagogo Wed 27-Aug-14 18:37:07

It needs a bottom in order to be a pie.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Wed 27-Aug-14 18:26:10

I'm with Mary. It's not a pie without a bottom, soggy or otherwise.
actually I'm partial to a bit of soggy pastry

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Wed 27-Aug-14 18:25:34

And could I have your recipe pls? None for s&k in the food section of MN!

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Wed 27-Aug-14 18:23:28

Excellent blog here refers to Mary's decree on pies -vs- casseroles with lids. monkseal.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/the-great-british-bake-off-4-episode-4-pies-and-tarts/

I'm with you by the way, too much pastry if bottom and top, though I do love a bit of suet for warming properties. Sounds delicious!

CatKisser Wed 27-Aug-14 18:01:00

Cannot be fannying around with suet as I've never cooked with it before!
And nooooo, Dougal, why have you told me that about Mary Berry?! I would hate her to judge me!!
Well, I've made my top-only facsimile of of a pie AND I'm proud!

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Wed 27-Aug-14 17:58:22

Mary Berry says its not a pie, if there isn't a bottom as well as a top (accompanied by an evil ice-blue stare).

DesperatelySeekingSanity Wed 27-Aug-14 17:49:53

Neither. Steak and kidney should always be in a suet crust to make a steak and kidney pudding.

CatKisser Wed 27-Aug-14 17:44:29

Thanks, shall just do a top then!
Yes evans it's quite a wintery meal isn't it? A definite sign summer has gone!

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Wed 27-Aug-14 17:37:45

I tend to only do a top layer for any pies, otherwise we all feel there's too much pastry. Personal preference, really. Yum - Kate & Sidney Pie. Feel the need to make one soon, as the weather is so chilly.

startwig1982 Wed 27-Aug-14 17:36:43

I generally just do a top so I don't have to worry about a soggy bottom. Not that I care

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now