Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Does anyone have a Properly important Job with real power ?

(81 Posts)
fluffyfanjo Wed 27-Aug-14 16:06:55

Just being nosy really.

Does anyone have a really high powered Job,a properly important one - The sort that impresses people at parties and has the school mums hovering waiting to catch your eye with a grin ?

If so does your job status and the respect you get at work carry over to outside working life or do friends and acquaintances just treat you as a "normal person" ?

PS I do realize that many, many people do "important" jobs,but you know what I mean grin

MerdeAlor Wed 27-Aug-14 16:10:26

Umm, I suppose so. I have a high profile role at the top of an organisation. Not sure about the hovering school mums though so it can't be all that important grin

MerdeAlor Wed 27-Aug-14 16:12:24

To answer the second part, I'm careful about who I spend my time with a, so I can relax in confidence and b, so I won't be asked role related questions in my free time.

MothershipG Wed 27-Aug-14 16:22:27

I have all the keys, I can let you into any room in our run down, falling apart Museum. I can access all areas, even the roof. I have the power!!! Mwah ha ha!

Oh, is that not what you were after? blush wink

RalphGnu Wed 27-Aug-14 16:59:25

I used to be a bingo caller and the amount of people who believed that if they were nice to me I would have The Power to call their numbers was astounding! I got lots of birthday presents from customers (which I was unable to accept, of course) and a lot of people in my town know who I am.

But I don't think that's the kind of thing you meant. grin

fluffyfanjo Wed 27-Aug-14 17:05:24

I don't really know what I was thinking of,maybe brain surgeon,chief of police,politician,CEO of ICI,high court judge.......................

DiaDuit Wed 27-Aug-14 17:08:23

My dad was a superhero till i was about 12. Strongest and tallest (5'10") man in the world and could fix anything by 'looking' at it grin

DiaDuit Wed 27-Aug-14 17:09:48

And apparently all the mums tried to catch his eye hmm

BigPawsBrown Wed 27-Aug-14 17:12:28

I'm a lawyer and a novellist. People do ask me for legal advice at parties or ask me if characters in my novel are them.

Methe Wed 27-Aug-14 17:15:40

I'm the Queen of England.

Toooldtobearsed Wed 27-Aug-14 17:17:28

I have a proper high powered job. So what? My best years were spent in a sandwich bar, bloody brilliant!
Because no one really understands what I do, i constantly downplay my role.

Nice money, good conditions, would swap it in a heartbeat, given the chancesmile

ihatethecold Wed 27-Aug-14 17:17:49

My dh does.

ArsenicyOldFace Wed 27-Aug-14 17:18:51

No. Thank god.

I've been really grumpy this year, who knows what I might have done? grin

4boysxhappy Wed 27-Aug-14 17:20:03

My sister has a job that affects the day to day lives of most the people in south of England.

She has never been a school run mum. Private nursey, childminder and then Breakfast club and after school club. Could hardly make any school events so I don't think anyone would have been able to catch her eye.

When her son did careers week in her main office building he was amazed that everyone there was scared of his mum and jumped to action the moment she appeared.

I have never really thought about her this way so when he said it surprised me too. She will always be my snoopy drawing big sister. Who's first boyfriend we nicknamed Neil the nose. Which made her shout at us and chase us about grin)

BigPawsBrown Wed 27-Aug-14 17:20:18

Probably the people who really do won't be responded at 5pm on a Wednesday grin

ArsenicyOldFace Wed 27-Aug-14 17:23:00

and has the school mums hovering waiting to catch your eye with a grin ?

I am worrying about these psychotic sounding school mums now.

treaclesoda Wed 27-Aug-14 17:28:23

I reckon I have a friend who is one of those people. But she never talks about it and I don't ask her, because she obviously doesn't want to talk about it. She is still the same person she has always been. And she is an awesome, warm hearted person.

On the other hand I know a few people who like other people to think that they have amazing power and hold people's futures in their hands. When in reality they just have 'good' jobs and an over inflated sense of their own importance.

grumblepuss Wed 27-Aug-14 17:35:08

Me and DP have silly job titles which raise eyebrows and sound impressive. Totally different sectors - mine is engineering, his is creative.

Actual power... Nah!

MehsMum Wed 27-Aug-14 18:26:12

Hahahahahaha. No.
BigPawsBrown, do I know you? Your job description exactly fits a friend of mine.... Do you own a whippet?

Kewcumber Wed 27-Aug-14 18:30:59

I used to be CFO for Europe, the MIddle East and Africa of a famous international ad agency and travelled the world first and business class (and once even Concorde) and I brushed shoulders with a famous author and went to Oscars Parties in borrowed diamonds in New York - now I'm a nobody and no-one is impressed by me <<sob>>

Does that count?

Kewcumber Wed 27-Aug-14 18:31:42

School run mums wait to catch my eye to tell me that my DS has thumped theirs...

Kewcumber Wed 27-Aug-14 18:32:39

Ooh ooh I forgot I appeared in a trade publicaiton in my early 20's as "one to watch" type thing. They got that wrong then grin

SuperGlue Wed 27-Aug-14 18:35:41

I am the head of an organisation and would be well known in my city, does that count? School run mums would not know any of this...so they never try to catch my eye...

SuperGlue Wed 27-Aug-14 18:36:28

* I meant well known in my sector in my city - not famous in general grin

JuanPotatoTwo Wed 27-Aug-14 18:38:38

Used to in another life. Now I just have friends who do. Our convos go like this:

Me: Just going to Sainsbury's, what are you up to?
Friend With Important Job: Just waiting for flight to (interesting destination) to deliver lecture to ( x no of million) Very Important People on how to be as clever and learned and educated as me.
Me: Right. Want any milk picking up?

Along those lines anyway smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now