Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Old Coronation Street

(38 Posts)
ovaryhill Wed 27-Aug-14 10:53:02

Just wondering why coronation st has never been repeated from the beginning
Is it just me who would love to see old episodes from the glory days with Stan and Hilda, Elsie tanner, Ivy Tilsley etc? Was thinking ITV encore would be perfect place for it

WowserBowser Wed 27-Aug-14 11:01:13

Yeah that's a good idea. I wonder how long it would take if there was an episode every day?

Sunnymeg Wed 27-Aug-14 11:19:18

Some of it was repeated on the Granada satellite channel whist it existed. They repeated stuff from the early 1970's, when Elsie, Ena and Albert Tatlock were at the height of their powers. It was brilliant character driven drama and it would be great to see it again.

ovaryhill Wed 27-Aug-14 12:07:18

I'd love to see all the old characters again! But then I've just watched all the old Dallas and knots landing
I've too much time on my hands!

MrSheen Wed 27-Aug-14 12:11:45

I don't watch it now but I think I would watch the old ones. I used to watch it before the new houses were built and there was Gail's cafe and Rita and Mavis both managed to find full time employment in that tiny newsagents and Mike had the factory making jeans.

ovaryhill Wed 27-Aug-14 12:29:25

Ida Clough world in the factory.dyed jet black hair,!

BringMeTea Wed 27-Aug-14 12:36:45

Oh God, count me in. Should we campaign?

ovaryhill Wed 27-Aug-14 13:17:07

Yes definitely campaign needed!

BertieBotts Wed 27-Aug-14 13:18:15

They should release them on DVD, they'd make a fortune.

BringMeTea Wed 27-Aug-14 14:09:29

Bertie I would be first in line. In fact i may even create my first Amazon wishlist in order to collect them all. I wonder why they haven't done it. Maybe they don't think it's a big enough market. Imagine: dah da da da da daah... Florizel Street.... smile

BertieBotts Wed 27-Aug-14 14:33:33

It might be that some of the old episodes are lost, I know a lot of the original Doctor Who episodes are. So if they don't have copies then they couldn't release a full run, and of course they'd be huge - it's not like a TV series, even an American one has about 20 episodes per series, Corrie has been on 3 times a week for 40 years.

Perhaps when blu ray or digital is the dominant media they will release what they have available. I would think at current capacity of DVDs it isn't practical.

BertieBotts Wed 27-Aug-14 14:34:16

They have this but it doesn't have all of them.

www.amazon.co.uk/Coronation-Street-The-1960s-Disc/dp/B000F5S228

ovaryhill Wed 27-Aug-14 15:26:57

I've just emailed Itv to ask if they have any plans to do this and if not why not

Kimaroo Wed 27-Aug-14 15:31:09

I'd watch it. I missed a few years especially when all the current characters like Carla, Rob, Windasses etc joined so I'd like to watch those.

ovaryhill Wed 27-Aug-14 19:29:36

Ooh had a reply from David at Itv, he says there are no plans as yet but he will forward my idea onto head of programme planning at itv encore! Fingers crossed!

AuntieStella Wed 27-Aug-14 19:32:40

There's so much crap on the newer ITV channels that reruns of old Corris would be brilliant. Id'd be interested in watching the 1960s, but it's the 1970s that I'd really like to see again.

Mrsjinglejangle Wed 27-Aug-14 19:35:20

I'd watch. smile maybe if there's lots if positive responses on this thread we should forward to good old itv Dave to show the encore people?

BeachyKeen Wed 27-Aug-14 19:42:03

I used to watch Corrie, when there was Mavis and Derik, and whatsiname used to see postcards from their missing gnome!
I miss Curly, and Jim, Jack and Vera, Mike and Alma, Gail's caf, the lot. I tried to watch it again about 6 years ago, and it was so different. It went from being funny, and sweet to being so trashy.

ovaryhill Wed 27-Aug-14 20:22:12

I mentioned the thread but I think we'd need a few more responses

ovaryhill Wed 27-Aug-14 20:25:44

I'd like to see seventies/eighties episodes the most

DoAndroidsDream Wed 27-Aug-14 20:27:12

BeachyKeen, was that Norris who used to call him Dirk?

AuntieStella Wed 27-Aug-14 20:28:17

Gail's arrival with Suzi, the shooting of Ernest, the factory fire, Annie Walker in full flow.

And the young Ken. I remember watching the re-runs of the first week for the anniversary and being struck about how many more words there were.

DoAndroidsDream Wed 27-Aug-14 20:30:52

I haven't seen it for years. Who runs the pub. Is Bet Lynch still there with her animal print clothes and huge earrings.

ovaryhill Wed 27-Aug-14 20:34:41

The Mike and Deirdre affair, classic Stan and Hilda were my favourite though, especially the episode where he gives her a kiss and asks what her lipstick tastes of, 'woman Stanley, woman'!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Wed 27-Aug-14 20:36:40

There should be a Soap Channel. Re-runs of Eastenders, Corrie, Brookie all day every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now