Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

It has come to my attention that some sod has half my name and I'm not 'appy

(159 Posts)
TrinityRhino Tue 26-Aug-14 22:02:59

Change it immediately!!

wink grin grin

juneybean Tue 26-Aug-14 22:03:51

Ohh yes I noticed one the other day and did a double-take

TrinityRhino Tue 26-Aug-14 22:04:26

I think its a first.
s'not fair
tis my name grin

LoveBeingInTheSun Tue 26-Aug-14 22:05:09

Know what you mean, I did a double take thinking I'd posted something without realizing the other day

TrinityRhino Tue 26-Aug-14 22:11:01

lol @ posting something without realising.

does that happen often? grin

Yep had to change my name as the one I've been using for ages was used by someone else with just a slight tweak at the start hmm

Just settling in with this one

Was strange when we were both posting on the same thread

Mrsjayy Wed 27-Aug-14 10:46:12

There is somebody with jay as part of the name they did ask me if it was ok which I thought was nice I dont mind really

AlpacaPicnic Wed 27-Aug-14 10:54:20

There's loads of Alpacas these days <common as muck emoticon> which does get confusing when two or more of us are on the same thread. And all of us just get shortened to Alpaca...

DoctorLawn Wed 27-Aug-14 10:55:25

But how do new posters know if they are close to another user's name? There must be a kajillion usernames on here, what with all the namechanging.

There could be a list like the ONS. '352 posters used the prefix wobbly in 2014' '0 posters used the suffix hun in 2014'... I would probably spend hours looking at that grin

Pastperfect Wed 27-Aug-14 10:56:02

Trouble is people cannot be expected to make themselves aware if every name combo before they start posting.
If you have messaged the poster and they refuse to
nc then by all means kill em that's not on but likewise starting a thread like this if you haven't already spoken with them isn't really on either

InculKate Wed 27-Aug-14 10:56:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LatteLoverLovesLattes Wed 27-Aug-14 11:02:01

When you choose a name there is no way of knowing if there is anyone using something similar or not, so I think the best thing to do is PM them and explain - ask them to cease and desist! If they don't want to choose another name there's not much you can do except start a thread asking people what they think and how awful it is wink

HavanaSlife Wed 27-Aug-14 11:07:33

I changed my mame from a moomin as it was getting confusing

HavanaSlife Wed 27-Aug-14 11:08:32

Another moomin sent me a message saying she would change her name once

MeanAndMeaslyMiddleAges Wed 27-Aug-14 11:28:18

I occasionally see someone with some of the key words from my name in theirs, although it's fairly different. Still makes me briefly confused though (because I am not a smart woman).

DeputyPecksBentBeak Wed 27-Aug-14 11:34:42

grin Doctor

ElephantsNeverForgive Wed 27-Aug-14 11:38:12

There are other Elephants about (and lots of variations on both my old usernames) it can only really be avoided by using a name that's utterly made up and they aren't memorable.

elQuintoConyo Wed 27-Aug-14 11:45:06

Some thickos posters confuse me with Quintessential

I'm kind of honoured as she is intelligent. I hardly think she'd feel the same grin

But if someone posted as elQuintoConejo or something, i'd be more than a tad miffed.

TrinityRhino Wed 27-Aug-14 11:50:16

pastperfect

I'm just having a laugh.
I'm not going to ask them to change it grin

starting a thread like this if you haven't already spoken with them isn't really on either

Agree

I think it's a bit childish to 'claim' parts of names. Yes, if yours was wildly original, and it was a blatant copy, fine, PM them, but if it's a word like 'Dog' or 'Silly' or 'Bread' I don't think that's claimable personally. I know there were Greyhounds before me and there will be Greyhounds after me!

EatShitDerek Wed 27-Aug-14 11:53:20

Someone hear posts with my RL name! Both names to be exact! Creeps me right out grin

Christ Derek that is weird!

That would be weird EatShitDerek. And there is something I never thought I would have to type! smile

There is someone else with cider in their name. It's gives me a bit of a start at times but nothing more.

Don't think anyone has a similar name to me, but you never know...

<peers around suspiciously>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now