Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Anyone have an Esse woodburning stove? Or love a different make of stove?

(67 Posts)
crabster Tue 26-Aug-14 18:12:29

We're going to get a woodburning stove installed (yay!) and I'm trying to choose which brand of stove to get. The installer suggested a few, and we like the Esse 500. Someone recommended Clearview stoves, though, saying how brilliant they are. Our installer doesn't deal with them though, and says that they are expensive and 'a law unto themselves'.

Just wondering whether anyone has any particular experiences or recommendations they could share about their woodburner. We've been advised to get a 5kw one.

Fayrazzled Tue 26-Aug-14 18:26:55

We have a Charnwood which we are very pleased with.

crabster Tue 26-Aug-14 22:07:15

Thanks Fay.

Surely there must be more of you out there with woodburners??

greencybermummy Tue 26-Aug-14 22:33:28

2 x clearview! Love them. Easy to light, clean and fabulously quick to heat up and make room/house toasty. smile

80sMum Tue 26-Aug-14 22:40:03

We have a Clearview Pioneer and wouldn't swap it for anything else! We love how easy it is to light (30 seconds) and maintain; how its design is cleverly both traditional and modern at the same time and how the glass window stays clear.

crabster Wed 27-Aug-14 08:21:18

Ooh that's two clear votes for Clearview! Thank you both.

GalaxyInMyPants Wed 27-Aug-14 08:23:12

I'm just about to get a Charnwood fitted. Clearview are meant to be very good as are Morso. I think those are kind of the top three brands.

Have you looked at the reviews on the whatstove site?

GalaxyInMyPants Wed 27-Aug-14 08:24:07

Nearly got a Clearview Pioneer btw. I just liked the design on the Charnwood slightly better.

Getting our logs delivered on Friday and I'm very excited!

Chimchar Wed 27-Aug-14 08:24:59

I have two of these

DH did a lot of research before getting our first one and this came up pretty good all round. It is economical to run, burns really efficiently, and looks great.

annabanana19 Wed 27-Aug-14 08:27:15

Charnwood here too. 8kw. Fab stove and easy to clean.

fenneltea Wed 27-Aug-14 08:36:06

We have an inset Stovax riva, it's super efficient and when we were thinking about changing it for a more traditional looking one as it is about ten years old, the retailer strongly advised against it and I'm pleased we didn't. It has the screenwash system too and is a doddle to maintain/run.

Gatekeeper Wed 27-Aug-14 08:36:30

Morso panther; pic in profile. It s the fifth member of the family !

crabster Wed 27-Aug-14 08:41:26

I haven't really done any research - unusually for me as I'm very controlling and anal thorough like that usually. I've been guided purely by the stove installer so far, as he seems to know what he's talking about. We told him our approximate budget so I assume he's basing his recommendations on that.

I'll have a look at that review site, thank you Galaxy.

The installer stocks/can order Charnwood but I'm not sure about Burnley. Are Charnwood and Clearview very expensive?

schilke Wed 27-Aug-14 08:44:39

Stovax vision. I didn't want a traditional looking stove fitted, so this is a plain square box! Easy to use and clean. Great heat production.

Selks Wed 27-Aug-14 08:47:33

I have a Broseley Serrano 5 stove, fitted a year ago. Very, very pleased with it.

TangledUpInGin Wed 27-Aug-14 08:54:59

I've got a Serrano 7 fitted and love it! We're open plan on one side of house with large living room, dining room and kitchen and it heats that with ease! Often open hall door and it heats upstairs too - have had a few fires this summer too which have been lovely

Chimchar Wed 27-Aug-14 12:31:39

I would do your own research. Decide what kind of look you want....traditional or modern. Work out your square footage (or is it meterage now?!) and decide what kw you need. I'm sure anything over 7kw output will need an airbrick put into the exterior wall. (I might be wrong on this).

Dh mate is a fitter of stoves. Some recommend stoves on their local trade supply availability, ease of fitting, and sadly on the profit margin in it for them.

The cost price of the fittings etc is often the same or more as the actual stove, so you need to factor that in too, as well as the cost of getting it fitted and any alterations you might need to make.

ArabellaTarantella Wed 27-Aug-14 12:46:30

Having had a woodburner without the clear wash system I would definitely go for a clear system. It keeps the doors clean for one thing so you can see your lovely logs burning away.

cafesociety Wed 27-Aug-14 13:23:03

I have a Clearview Pioneer and it's been great and certainly worth the money. No problems with it at all.

crabster Thu 28-Aug-14 13:05:17

Thanks for all these replies. I'll look into the stoves you mention.

Chim the installer charges £1,300 for the installation, then the cost of the stove, hearth and mantelpiece is on top of that. We're looking at between £2,500 - £3,000, according to his quote, of which £800 or so is the stove.

crabster Thu 28-Aug-14 13:08:24

Ooh lovely stove pic Gatekeeper!

Another vote for Clearview. I had one in my old house and it was brilliant, so easy to light and control. They aren't the cheapest but are supposed to be very fuel efficient. I don't have any experience with other stoves though so nothing to compare it to unfortunately, but I was very happy with it.

OhYouBadBadKrillitane Thu 28-Aug-14 14:01:55

It is 5kw before you need extra ventilation.
We have a charnwood. It's pretty easy to light and simple to use but I have nothing to compare it to.

crabster Thu 28-Aug-14 14:45:21

OhYou yes the installer said above 5kw we'd need extra ventilation. He came round to do a survey and said that a 5kw one would be powerful enough. I got a quote from a different company, though, who said I'd need 7kw based on my room dimensions. I'm going with the first estimate as he was actually here and seems experienced and knowledgeable. He's cheaper too!

OhYouBadBadKrillitane Thu 28-Aug-14 14:52:35

We went for 5kw purely because the idea is to warm the house up not let great drafts in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now