Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Thread for those whose 4 year olds are about to start reception

(209 Posts)

A thread to chat about LOs about to start reception very soon!

DD turns 4 tomorrow then starts reception on Sep 5, I can't quite believe it. I've just bought bits of uniform and ordered name tags. What do I pack in her book bag on her first day - some spare pants and socks? Does their gym kit go in with them on Day 1? Do I send in an empty or filled water bottle?

HighwayDragon Tue 26-Aug-14 14:28:14

I'm sending her pe kit the first day, with named filled water bottle and have a spare set of uniform in her pe bag, nothing in bookbag on first day

Dd starts on the 9th Sept, I'm sending her with book bag and pe kit with spare misfire, tights ans several pairs of pants plus wipes and bags..she's not reliable with the loo and has constipation issues so there's every chance she might poo her pants too... Fingers crossed she won't! Filled bottle I think too. The teachers visit us the day before she starts so I guess I can check anything then.

Asifbymagic Tue 26-Aug-14 15:03:30

My DS turns 4 tomorrow too, I'm sending spare uniform, water bottle and PE kit, pretty much that's it. We've been told to write the name on the waist band of the jumper rather than rely on name labels, not sure about the other items. I know it's happening next week, but am trying not to think about it too much. Have agreed with work that I can start at 0930 for the wed - Fri that week so under less pressure to hand him over, am hoping this will be different to preschool as if not I am looking at 4 weeks of tears.

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Tue 26-Aug-14 15:05:17

Ds starts on the 3rd but only for a couple of hours. The following Wednesday is his first full day. I'm sending his pe kit and water bottle with him. He will be on hot school dinners which is worrying me a bit because he's really picky and asks that I feed him at every meal (I don't but he still asks!) but I'm hoping seeing his friends eat will encourage him.

DollyParsnip Tue 26-Aug-14 15:07:02

I'm hoping that DD's teacher will fill me in - has anyone else had a home visit? What do they do and do they judge?.

Need to sort out labels and get DD to start wearing her shoes in. She's 4 (5 in Oct) and is raring to go (sob)

SmileAndNod Tue 26-Aug-14 15:10:55

DD starts in a couple of weeks. I can't believe it sad. I'm so worried about it, I've not labelled anything yet. Planning on sending her with her pe bag (with spare underwear), bookbag and drinks bottle.

Dropping off then going for a coffee and a cry

OpiesOldLady Tue 26-Aug-14 15:14:53

I'll be dropping mine off at breakfast club at 8am, then going home back to bed!

Can't wait grin

You asked my question in the OP - I have been wondering what to put in the book bag!

I had a home visit in July. It wasn't scary - the TA played with DS while I chatted with the teacher. She answered all my questions, and asked lots of her own so that she had a better idea about DS, eg right or left handed, social or behavioural concerns, fully toilet trained or not, able to dress and undress, whether he can read or write, how high he can count.

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Tue 26-Aug-14 15:16:47

How do you name label a water bottle?!

Do they need a pencil case?

We didn't have any home visits from the teacher but 2 40 minute play sessions in the classroom.

waithorse Tue 26-Aug-14 15:22:03

I'm in denial. <runs away with fingers in ears.>

3stripesandout Tue 26-Aug-14 15:23:02

This is my 3rd DC off to reception!

Our class don't allow water bottles (creates chaos) they have a jug and cups freely available in class.

There's no room for 30 sets of spare clothes etc. The class has spare if they need them.

Book bag goes empty, come home with phonics/book/reading record.

PE kit on first day.

3stripesandout Tue 26-Aug-14 15:24:14

Also SHOW your kid their clothes, where their names are in it. I write their names in Sharpie on the waistbands (pockets for boys)

threepiecesuite Tue 26-Aug-14 15:24:40

Breakfast club, on the first day?
Ours doesn't allow Reception to use breakfast club until they've done their half days (8 of them).

Thanks for the heads-up re spare underwear, dd has the odd accident.
She is 4.5 and just waiting to go now. I know I'll cry buckets, she's my one and only.

MummyPig24 Tue 26-Aug-14 15:25:47

Dds class don't start p.e till Easter so I don't need to send that. I'm sending a full water bottle like I do for ds1. We send a little backpack with spare clothes. It doesn't have to be uniform. They also need waterproof trousers and wellies. Praying our name labels turn up within the next week!

Panicmode1 Tue 26-Aug-14 15:28:08

My fourth (and last) 'baby' is off to Reception on 10th Sept, the same day my first baby sits his 11+.....a day of mixed emotion! He doesn't go full time until 25th Sept, when I am having a lunch party to celebrate my new 'freedom'!

iamusuallybeingunreasonable Tue 26-Aug-14 15:30:21

With wellies, do they take them in or just wear on a wet day?

CharlesRyder Tue 26-Aug-14 15:31:25

My DS was 4 last week and starts next Wednesday.

Luckily we have contact with a class rep who has older kids in the school so there has been someone to ask all the newbie questions.

DS has to start full days of 8.15 - 3.45 from day 1. He is going to be exhausted.

OpiesOldLady Tue 26-Aug-14 15:37:19

Yep. Breakfast club all the way.

Our school don't allow parents onto the premises/in the yard, so I'd have to say goodbye to him at the gate anyway, so he may as well go to breakfast club with his older brother and sister. There's no staggered starts either, they go all day straightaway.

hinkyhonk Tue 26-Aug-14 15:39:39

DS started reception last year but turns 5 tomorrow so is heading into year 1 now. just wanted to say to those others whose birthdays are tomorrow that they do get really tired and towards the end of term he just got very weepy but he has coped really well with it all and they are just fine once they are there.

our school had an excellent thing where the reception children got a year 6 buddy who took them into class and helped them throughout the year so settling in was definitely way less scary for them.

good luck!

DownstairsMixUp Tue 26-Aug-14 15:49:25

My ds is same as panics doesn't actually start full time till late September! He is really excited!

Longdistance Tue 26-Aug-14 15:50:27

I wish my dd who will be 5 next month could start full days a lot quicker. She's very ready for school. She doesn't get to start til the 12th September til midday. Then stays for lunch the following week, then is full time on the 29th. She turns 5 on the 25th confused

We have everything, but shoes, as leaving that as she starts late anyway.

Uzma01 Tue 26-Aug-14 15:53:14

My DS starts on September 3rd full time, the day after his teachers are due to come to the house to have a chat with us. We've already done the dry run of going to the school to see how long it'll take to get there. Got the uniform all sorted, need to put the personalised name tags in that I ordered off eBay ages ago. Didn't get the PE kit yet, need to find out where to get it from as the shorts at least seemed to have a logo on...

HighwayDragon Tue 26-Aug-14 15:53:49

I have special labels for water bottles and shoes, we take wellies in and they stay in a special tub by the back door. Spare clothes and pe kit in a drawstring bag on her peg. She's having dinners too not packed lunch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now