Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Odd things to show off about

(161 Posts)
googietheegg Mon 25-Aug-14 07:51:44

When we had a cleaner (not a stealth boast, we can't afford her anymore wink) I saw her scrubbing the loo without rubber gloves on so I said I'd go and get her some. She smiled really proudly and said 'oh I never wear gloves to clean anything!'

I thought this was a) minging and b) an odd thing to show off about. What say you?

LongFingers Mon 25-Aug-14 09:13:30

I had a cleaner who worse rubber gloves to clean the toilet, one day I caught her cleaning the sink with the same gloves on after cleaning the toilet. That was the end of having anyone cleaning for me.

Please tell me she used a toilet brush and not her bare hands to clean inside the toilet.

I find and odd thing to be showing off about is some people find they are very cleaver for wasting hours on end, on the internet and at shops to gain small amounts of money off things. I can understand if they are on the bones of their arse poor, quite often they are not. They think they are smart, I think I would rather go and do some gardening and benefit nature with the time you wasted on saving a small amount of money.

rocket74 Mon 25-Aug-14 09:37:16

'I can't cook' .... Wow what an incredible achievement for a grown up!! Drives me mad when people say it like a badge of honour.

People who are proud of not knowing things. Like its cool to be uninformed or act stupid.

My niece thinks she is Joey Essex or something. At a recent gathering at her mums, one of her friends parents made a comment in front of me.."Oh X, thank god you are pretty, the men wont want you for your brains anyway"

I chewed her out, then when I saw my niece at another date, I chewed her out too. I hate people who dumb them selves down on purpose to grab attention.

googietheegg Mon 25-Aug-14 11:24:22

Some people show off about 'not having time' to do a certain thing that you know they love, then waste time doing something pointless. Like my mil says she doesn't have time to make decent coffee so has instant then sits and watches tv, but always really loves it when she has decent coffee at our house. Just make nice coffee and watch three minutes less telly!!!

And yes, the cleaner had bare hands and used the same cloth I saw her use on the floor. Boak!! I got busy with the a-bac wipes after that...

lettertoherms Mon 25-Aug-14 11:37:19

What I always find strange is those who need to one-up injury or misfortune. Like you mention that you had to go to A&E yesterday for a bad sprain and their response is about the time they broke their leg three years ago. Not because it has any relevance or even to show empathy for a situation, but simply to show off their worse experience and invalidate yours.

Mrsjayy Mon 25-Aug-14 11:38:24

I dont wear gloves when I clean I am missing the point clearly

Mrsjayy Mon 25-Aug-14 11:42:30

Oh I have different cloths oh that is minging not to,

My relative likes to show off how much she can drink in a weekend and the chaos she causes not sure if she wants a medal or new liver or not

nancy75 Mon 25-Aug-14 11:43:46

lots of people on here that are proud of having a dirty house and scruffy unwashed children - i don't understand that at all

MFIC Mon 25-Aug-14 11:45:41

How competitive they are; "Oh I'm SO competitive" as if it's something to be proud of, when actually anyone I've ever heard say it is usually a complete arsehole.

Besta Mon 25-Aug-14 11:46:13

Lettertoherms I really dislike that oneupmanship too - DH has a friend with the nickname "Elevenerife", because if you've been to Tenerife, he's been to Elevenerife smile

I think some people are so competitive now, that everything becomes a competition and a need to better themselves against other people low self esteem and it comes out in daft showing off. I have a friend like this and some of the things she's come out with, particularly with regard to kids, are just bizarre. Would love to relate some of them, but would definitely out myself if she was on here.

LongFingers Mon 25-Aug-14 11:47:55

I don't wear gloves either Mrsjayy, I wash my hands after cleaning the toilet, and don't actually make hand contact with the toilet.

Bunbaker Mon 25-Aug-14 11:48:04

I so agree with everything on here, but the can't cook thing really irritates me. I read it as CBA to cook. After all, unless you are severely dyslexic, anyone can follow a simple recipe.

Mrsjayy Mon 25-Aug-14 11:48:49

Another relative likes to show off how working class his up bringing was he thinks it is hilarious because he is quite well off now

ememem84 Mon 25-Aug-14 11:49:43

DH's family see it as a disappointment that I "can't drink" as in, get absolutely sloshed and then miraculously be ok the next day.

I have a colleague who shows off that she can't cook. and another one who plays the dumb blonde. it winds me up.

Mrsjayy Mon 25-Aug-14 11:50:33

Thinking about it he isnt showing off he is taking the piss just realised that what an arsehole

Muskey Mon 25-Aug-14 11:51:24

I hate it when people show off when they meet minor celebrities. Someone I know had a picture of her kids with someone from a dance show and I had absolutely no idea who he was

Suzannewithaplan Mon 25-Aug-14 11:53:43

I think it just a general tendency to try and enhance one's status, we pick the things that we can do to excess.
If you're a bit thick you have nothing to gain by aligning yourself with the intellectuals since you will only be at the bottom of that particular pecking order.

Instead the not so bright person joins the 'uneducated and proud of it' camp where he is guaranteed a place towards to top of the hierarchy.

Redcoats Mon 25-Aug-14 11:56:15

I love the 'Elevenrife'. smile

Boysclothes Mon 25-Aug-14 11:58:10

DHs stepdad works for one of the biggest rock stars in the world. Said rock star is HORRIBLE for the working class thing. Goes on and on about how working class he is. It's all shitty fish and chips and the pub and going on about having to put money in the leccy meter. Yes dear. I'm sure loads of working class people are billionaires with their own jets and holiday homes they've never seen. He's not working class enough to actually live where he grew up though... No, he's now a resident of the Bahamas....

Thisvehicleisreversing Mon 25-Aug-14 11:58:22

The showing off on Facebook about how many people are bitching about them.

I have an acquaintance who's always posting things like
"Good to know so many people are jealous. Why else spread shit about me and my family. Haterz gonna hate. My life's great!!"

The thing is she's 39. confused

Get a grip.

Marcelinewhyareyousomean Mon 25-Aug-14 11:59:19

Bragging about how naughty their kids are (because they have so much more personality about them confused hmm )
Awaiting flaming.

Vintagebeads Mon 25-Aug-14 11:59:40

I have a friend who sends me pictures, brand,year,and if it has leather seats of her DH new company car.
I find that very bizarre.I barely know one type from another so its not like I am some enthusiast.

Bunbaker Mon 25-Aug-14 12:00:12

Re the working class rock star. Do you think it is because people are so derisive of the middle classes that we all pretend to be working class?

Mrsjayy Mon 25-Aug-14 12:05:43

I am working class though I wasnt born in a barn though but I ate chipsgrin I just dont get the eee by gum in my day as I have just realised it is ridicule

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now