Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is there a nasty little virus going round?

(56 Posts)
Stratter5 Sun 24-Aug-14 23:33:56

DD2 went swimming with a group of friends a few days ago (non of them ate ). 24 hours later, they all went down with horrific D&V. I sat up with DD2 all night, next night I was ill, horrifically ill with D&V. I was v v careful with hygiene, bleached after her bathroom was used, hand washing, towels, etc. Unfortunately, whilst she was being sick, some sprayed in my eye, and I guess I expected to catch it.

Next night, DD1 and XH, who was staying with us for my birthday, went down with it. We've all stopped vomiting after 8 or so hours, stomachs still v dodgy. We all have sore eyes, sore throats, v painful chests to breathe - even DD1 and XH, who only vommed twice, intense lethargy and fever.

Is there a virus going round? XH insists that it is food poisoning, but this seems illogical to me, particularly as DD2's friends became ill the same time as her, without sharing any food, and before the rest of us.

Also, can I freeze my birthday cake? It's sponge with white chocolate ganache and raspberries, lovingly made by the DDs, and none of us can bear to look at it sad

Stratter5 Sun 24-Aug-14 23:34:51

Also, fucking awful back and joint pains and headaches. Fuck knows how I managed to forget those delights. Mentally blocking out, I guess.

Blu Sun 24-Aug-14 23:35:32

I would tell the pool.

Stratter5 Sun 24-Aug-14 23:37:18

Good point, hadn't thought of that. That'll be interesting, I think they went to the water park at Butlins sad

EmpressOfBedlam Sun 24-Aug-14 23:37:33

Sounds hideous. Haven't heard of that round here <touch wood> but we have all had a slightly ill making virus - cough, hot and cold, slightly manky but nothing drastic.

Get well soon!
Ps am sure you can freeze your cake.

Stratter5 Sun 24-Aug-14 23:50:27

Thanks sad

VerityWaves Sun 24-Aug-14 23:52:01

It sounds like it's to do with the pool.

D&v doing the rounds here too.

Just under 2 weeks ago did woke up in the middle of the night (while we were away) vomiting but no diarrhoea, was fine 12 hours later when we got home, bit lethargic saying her tummy hurt but no more sick.

By the Saturday I had to have the day off work I was so ill.

On Monday MIL had it

Tuesday DDS dad was sick

Friday friends dd had it

Dodgy feeling belly, headaches, muscle aches etc for a few days but d&v stopped after about 10-12 hours.

Gutted for you all about your cake sad

Harrin Sun 24-Aug-14 23:53:33

Yes. Although I've been the only one in my house to have it but I caught it from a friend and it did the rounds in her family.

gamerchick Sun 24-Aug-14 23:53:34

Sounds like noro. The change in he weather doesn't help.

Nasty evil bug it is.. I actually fear it getting in the house.

trufflesnout Sun 24-Aug-14 23:55:20

ebola

you poor bastards sad hopefully it'll clear up soon, nasty bugs tend to be quite quick which is a (small) silver lining

MajesticWhine Sun 24-Aug-14 23:55:55

I had similar but I thought it was food poisoning. Felt really weak for a few days but no other symptoms except the d+v

LatteLoverLovesLattes Sun 24-Aug-14 23:57:40

Sounds awful sad

You might as well freeze your cake, you've got nothing to lose.

I hope you are all feeling better soon.

By the way, you need anti microbial not anti bacterial to rid the house of noro (if that's what it is).

Stratter5 Mon 25-Aug-14 00:01:24

Noro, really? I never thought of that, I thought the D&V went on for ages with noro. It's a nasty little fucker, whatever it is, totally wiped us out. Lovely birthday, clamped to the loo with my head in a bucket <weeps>

I'm certain they picked it up at the pool, it's the only common factor between them, they'd not seen each other in a group for ages, they didn't get anything to eat/drink at the same place, and they all became ill at the same time. The timing is right too, if you work backwards from the rest of the family getting ill.

alabasterangel Mon 25-Aug-14 00:01:48

I'm no expert but I had food poisoning from rice a year ago. It was from a takeaway and I contacted local authority to report it. Because others had done the same it was thoroughly 'investigated' and my GP said that the usual difference between it being caused by food or a bug is the time elapsed and the violence of the vomiting. Food poisoning (of the kind which would make you really quite poorly in the way you describe) would onset 1-6 hours after consumption and would be violent in nature, intense sudden stomach ache with no previous hint of an illness starting and seriously violet sickness. I can vouch for this - it was almost projectile and I couldn't get to the bathroom and came on with not much warning. This is your stomach desperately getting rid of what it has now deemed to be 'toxic' - whereas 'bugs' tend to start with an ache, or a dull stomach ache which grows.

As I say I am no expert, but this certainly fitted the bill for me. Maybe this will convince your ExH that is it pool related....

Stratter5 Mon 25-Aug-14 00:02:41

Is bleach ok? I tend to nuke with bleach, partly why I have white towels and bedlinen, nothing survives a boil wash with bleach and bio powder.

Stratter5 Mon 25-Aug-14 00:04:28

I had food poisoning from mussels years ago, I remember the sudden cold sweat and projectile vomiting. It's definitely nothing like that. We're all running a temp too

PricillaQueenOfTheDessert Mon 25-Aug-14 00:05:26

Sounds like norovirus to me too, It's doing the rounds and last year (or maybe the year before) I read that it had evolved to include flu type symptoms. I've had it twice and am dreading ever getting it again, it's evil. Get well soon thanks
And freeze your cake, nothing to lose, it should be ok.

alabasterangel Mon 25-Aug-14 00:08:27

Dettol do a disinfectant spray which is a biocide I think and claims to kill viruses... Maybe that would do the trick (how you get to tesco to get it is another matter...)

cate16 Mon 25-Aug-14 00:15:46

Wasn't their a holiday park / campsite in Devon (I think) closed down last week due to a norovirus outbreak?

Stratter5 Mon 25-Aug-14 00:19:43

It was Butlins in Skegness they went to, wonder if it's doing the rounds there

HamFace Mon 25-Aug-14 00:30:18

Dh (who is never ill) has had it for nearly a week. I thought I'd escaped it but spent most of last night on the loo hmm. I've heard of quite a few people having it recently.

Stratter5 Mon 25-Aug-14 00:35:10

That'll be it then. XH just WhatsApp'd us to share his misery. He has two duvets on his bed, and can't get warm. Poor lamb, I told him to stay here, rather than risk spreading it to XPILs.

antimatter Mon 25-Aug-14 01:02:27

We had it in our house.
4 teenagers and I got it from them.
D&Vx3 + Dx2

one was sick 7 times during 10 hours, took him 2 days to get over it.

Ss yes, there's virus going around... smile

scousadelic Mon 25-Aug-14 01:06:26

Someone I knew worked in the microbiology department at our local hospital which did all the public health testing. She said that if you saw what grew from the waters of the local waterpark you would never set foot in it and would never let your children within a mile of it! I'm assuming that most pools will be the same as they all contain people

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now