Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help! Bat in the woodburner!

(10 Posts)
AliBingo Sun 24-Aug-14 20:16:13

What do I do? Just heard rustling noise in the woodburner (which hasn't been lit since last winter) and there's a tiny bat in there!

I may be able to get it out and to fly outside, unless anyone knows a good way to catch it for release or could I use gloves to gently handle it? But why is it in there? It's a flue, not a chimney. Could it have been nesting/roosting in there?

Any advice welcome, thanks!

dunkedbiscuits Sun 24-Aug-14 20:40:23

They are a protected species so you have to call the RSPCA. DH says there are strict rules and you are not allowed to touch it.

loombands Sun 24-Aug-14 20:42:19

no ideas how it might have got in...it must have come down the flue surely???

but yes...let it outside!! at dusk preferably...put it on a towel that it can cling to and leave it outside to take off..out of reach of cats

beautifulgirls Sun 24-Aug-14 20:43:08

There is a helpline number on this website www.bats.org.uk/pages/batcare.html

loombands Sun 24-Aug-14 20:43:28

pretend you didnt read what dunked has written...get it outside, it stands a better chance

(i used to work for RSPCA in a wild life hospital)

Catsmamma Sun 24-Aug-14 20:44:03

just put on some heavy gloves, use a tea towel and put the poor thing outside.

littlejo67 Sun 24-Aug-14 20:46:57

Wrap your hand in a towel, through over it, and scoop up and put outside when dark.
Have done this myself as I left the attic hatch open and one came in and was flying around . I looked like a Matador trying to get the towel over it. It made a click racket when caught. It was very sweet in an ugly sort of way. It was a long eared.

CharlesRyder Sun 24-Aug-14 21:26:33

I saw a documentary that said you have to put them somewhere high because they can only take off in a swoop.

I removed one from my nieces bedroom once and it took off fine from the top of their car.

AliBingo Sun 24-Aug-14 21:27:49

Thanks for the replies. I opened the living room French doors then opened wood burner but nothing happened! Looked inside it with torch and no sign of the bat so it must have gone back up the flue and out.

Am going to phone that advice line on Tuesday about how to tell whether they're nesting somewhere and what to do.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 24-Aug-14 21:28:53

I'd call a bat charity, you don't want to harm it and they must be very delicate.

I love bats, I used to see them swooping to catch bugs mid air.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now