Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Where to go on holiday mid-Oct?

(24 Posts)
pandarific Sun 24-Aug-14 18:30:46

I have an impossible task. Myself and my OH would like to go on holiday mid-October for a week. The criteria we've got between us I think mean it may be impossible to find somewhere that fits, but I thought if anyone will know, MN will know. smile The place must:

- be warm/sunny (25c+)
- not be too much more than 350pp
- not be in a resort where you can't go out and explore (not keen on being bothered by pushy salespeople or stared at etc)
- have things to do/see/visit

Anyone been anywhere recommend-able? City breaks are nice, but they're a bit manic - I'd quite like some chillout time and to be able to crack the bikini out, but also not be bored by day two, as happened when we stayed at an all inclusive place in Greece that turned out to be in the middle of nowhere. I don't think we want anything crazy, just somewhere we could have a wander in the evening!

BalconyBill Sun 24-Aug-14 18:34:11

I am currently looking at Agadir and a number of places in Tunisia. Fairly hot and relatively cheap.

iwantgin Sun 24-Aug-14 18:37:37

I'd say try Tenerife or Lanzarote?

Will be warm and sunny for sure in October. Lots to see and do -nice and relaxed or make it more lively-depends on what you want to do.

Just remember that half term falls in October- so prices will be sky high, and availability will be limited.

(it is the week commencing 27 October here, but some areas of the UK have the week before that)

pandarific Sun 24-Aug-14 18:43:07

Ah rats, thought October was safe re: school holidays! Maybe early October?

Good point on the Canaries, though I was brought there by my mum and dad growing up a few times - guess I'd prefer somewhere I've not been before if at all possible.

Have you been to Morocco or Tunisia before, Balcony? How did you find it? Easy to go exploring?

aoife24 Sun 24-Aug-14 18:45:00

The eastern med will still be pretty warm then, eg Cyprus, Malta/Gozo (going to Gozo myself in early October) and Turkey too. All can be done independently and there's walking, seeing classical sites, boat trips, scuba, snorkeling, plenty to keep you busy.

thegreylady Sun 24-Aug-14 18:47:10

I go to Turkey in October every year and it fulfils all your requirements smile

pandarific Sun 24-Aug-14 18:56:50

thegreylady I'd love to go to Turkey! But my OH has heard bad things from other people about getting hassled when you try to go out of the resorts. Where do you go/have you been? What was it like?

mummy1973 Sun 24-Aug-14 18:59:39

I went to Sardinia early Oct. Was beautiful.

BalconyBill Sun 24-Aug-14 19:35:29

I have been to Morocco before and to Tunisia many years ago. If you want to go exploring, maybe a hotel in Marrakech as you can go into the Medina if you are feeling robust grin!

I have been going to Turkey for many years and would say that you get hassled far less there than you would be in either Tunisia or Morocco. I don't go to any of the huge resorts though. Somewhere like Kalkan is heaven and very chic.

pandarific Sun 24-Aug-14 19:39:47

Ooh fab Balcony thanks - looking at Kalkan now and it looks beautiful - is it a bit sleepy? Any other recommended places? (I've pretty much decided now on Turkey - have wanted to go for ages...)

ChickenFajitaAndNachos Sun 24-Aug-14 19:42:39

I just got back from Oui Deniz and Istanbul and there was no harrasemet. Oui Deniz is a beautiful resort with a nice promenade to walk along, lots of restaurants etc and good for people watching and watching the paragliders. It's easy to book boat trips from the beach to islands for �6 a trip and lots of places for Turkisk baths and massages. The scenery is stunning. I'm not sure how warm it is in October.

aoife24 Sun 24-Aug-14 19:58:39

Kas in Turkey, quite near Kalkan and on the coast, might be worth looking at too. To my mind it's more interesting than Kalkan as it is more than a tourist town which to me anyway, Kalkan feels like. This is a useful resource with a lot of suggestions. I've been in this part of Turkey in early October and it was lovely weather.

www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/med/kas/

pandarific Sun 24-Aug-14 20:02:19

Thanks all! I've got a growing shortlist now including Side (seems nice, has a guardian article raving about it and fab looking hotels) Olu Deniz,Kalkan, and now Kas. Any more keep em coming.

EXCITED :D

pandarific Sun 24-Aug-14 20:04:29

Oh and Bitez also looks nice!

BalconyBill Sun 24-Aug-14 20:04:51

Early October should be fine temperature wise all along that coastline, although the days will be shorter. We have had some rain in the last week of the month before and evenings can be a bit chilly.

Kalkan is a harbour for yachts and the evenings are based around long dinners in the restaurants (which can be a little pricey).

Olu Deniz is indeed beautiful as long as you stay at the bottom of the hill as the top is a bit too neon and package tour for me (although busy night life!). The thing to remember is that most of these resorts (using the word to mean town area rather than huge hotel which people seem to use it for) close down for the winter at the end of October as it gets cooler and wetter.

BalconyBill Sun 24-Aug-14 20:07:00

Bitez is beautiful. Kas is stunning although probably quieter than you seem to be looking for. Side is quite big and touristy but the beach is lovely. Sarigerme is very popular with the Turks as a holiday destination.

Gocek is another upmarket yacht harbour which I like.

i love Turkey!!

aoife24 Sun 24-Aug-14 20:08:50

I've also stayed here but it's further along the coast from Kalkan and Kas, towards Antalya. I would suggest a car though for excursions.

www.sundancecamp.com/en/about

BalconyBill Sun 24-Aug-14 20:09:49

Ooo, I met a woman in the summer when I was there who married a Turk 15 years ago and hasn't been home since and she was raving about an all inclusive hotel in Antalya. It's a biggish town if that's what you fancy.

BalconyBill Sun 24-Aug-14 20:13:00

This is a friend's hotel near Kas.

pandarific Sun 24-Aug-14 21:12:05

Coolio guys, thanks!

Skivvywoman Sun 24-Aug-14 21:14:51

Sarigerme is a tiny village and I mean tiny one street and only 2-3 pubs but it's lovely

HazleNutt Sun 24-Aug-14 21:18:42

We're going to Cyprus mid-Oct, warm and you can certainly explore. Went to Turkey last year same time and the weather was already so-so.

pandarific Sun 24-Aug-14 21:29:31

Thanks Hazie - would love to go to cyprus but it's a bit pricey for the same period compared to Turkey and Greece.

That said, Greece and all the islands might be nice too, if we could get somewhere closeish to Cyprus maybe we could get the benefit of the warmer weather? Anyone have any greek recommendations?

BalconyBill Sun 24-Aug-14 22:04:43

Rhodes is closest to Turkey - friends used to go to update visas and Crete is fairly far south too. Sorry, haven't been to either for many years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now