Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

What characters in children's stories do you or they find creepy, and why?

(13 Posts)
microcosmia Sun 24-Aug-14 18:25:25

I'm interested to know as we are stocking up on kids books for our resource room at work and want to choose books that will not be overly scary or have peril in them. A colleague suggested Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss and my immediate reaction was "Ugh" as I find it creepy. I just know I've always disliked it as do my DH and DC, independently of me I add.

Does anyone else here on MN feel this way about Dr. Seuss?

Are there other characters which produce this reaction in people I wonder?

microcosmia Sun 24-Aug-14 19:34:08

Anyone?

FlipFlippingFlippers Sun 24-Aug-14 19:38:21

Esio Trot by Roald Dahl is one of the most disturbing children's books ever!

microcosmia Sun 24-Aug-14 19:43:41

Flip I never heard of that one (maybe that's why!). Will add it to my books to be avoided list! Thanks

Thurlow Sun 24-Aug-14 19:45:08

I normally love Mog but there's a book called Mog in the Dark where Mog just sort of sits in the garden and "thinks dark thoughts"

^Mog sat in the dark.
Mog thought in the dark.
But the dark was not where Mog wanted to be…
And who else was there in the dark?^

I think it's only me but - wtf? And then this giant mousedogbird thing turns up and scares her.

This is not a happy funny toddler book hmm

microcosmia Sun 24-Aug-14 19:49:04

Oh I love Mog too , don't know that book though. I am talking notes here, no dark thoughts Mog only happy Mog. smile

mrspremise Sun 24-Aug-14 19:49:31

I am hugely bothered by The Witches; though I can recognise that as a testament to the greatness of Roald Dahl, it's often on my mind...

microcosmia Sun 24-Aug-14 19:50:31

Yet funnily enough I love the Gruffalo !

HouseAtreides Sun 24-Aug-14 19:53:36

Esio Trot is definitely not one of Dahl's finer creations.
I love Mog In The Dark! she was only dreaming, then she goes indoors to her people and all is right smile Good for children having a bad dream.

microcosmia Sun 24-Aug-14 19:54:03

Wow Mrspremise it still affects you? That's a powerful effect for sure. Isn't it odd how some fairy tales are gruesome too and allegories for bad things happening to children (shudders).

Thurlow Sun 24-Aug-14 19:58:37

I'll stick with Mog Goes to the V.E.T - She said vee ee tee instead of vet so that Mog wouldn't understand. Mog hated going to the vet but Mrs. Thomas thought she probably couldn't spell grin

I can't get through The Tiger Who Came to Tea without trying to work out what actually happened (my theory is she's been spending all the housekeeping including the water bill on valium for the past few weeks...) so that book really bugs me. But it is also fun so I'll let it off.

There's something about Stickman I don't think I liked either.

cherrypez Sun 24-Aug-14 19:59:47

'Goodbye Mog' is rather disturbing...Mog dies ffs. We read it in the library and dd who is 6 said it was 'not appropriate for children' grin

microcosmia Sun 24-Aug-14 20:17:36

Oh I don't think we'd want anything where someone died, it's a health related setting, newly diagnosed cases at that.

We have other materials that deal with illness separately but we introduce those gradually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now