Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Quick toy question!

(15 Posts)
cloggal Sun 24-Aug-14 16:53:46

Quick question for anyone with train-loving DC...
Are the Thomas and Friends and Brio train sets compatible with each other (ie can you buy bits of both and use them as one set?
Thanks!

MagratsHair Sun 24-Aug-14 16:55:59

It depedns upon which Thomas sets you have I think, they are not compatible with each other. So the Take n Play ones that we had couldn't be used with the trackmaster stuff etc

MagratsHair Sun 24-Aug-14 16:58:00

Sorry posted too quickly smile

Basically whomever owns the Thomas rights lets anyone who wants to produce merchandise & toys so you have to pick a set type & stick with it never mind trying to connect it to a non Thomas set.

I hope somebody knows but I'd err on the side of caution & say no

lucysmam Sun 24-Aug-14 16:58:09

If it helps (probably not) we have some Thomas trains and a cheaper track set from The Works & they work together smile

eltsihT Sun 24-Aug-14 17:01:53

Thomas wooden railway is comparable with brio trust me I have too much!

eltsihT Sun 24-Aug-14 17:02:26

Compatible not comparable grr auto complete

thegreylady Sun 24-Aug-14 17:10:14

The wooden Thomas sets are Brio and compatible (Amazon) the plastic ones are not. Most of the wooden ones work together although the Ikea ones have plastic linkages which can be a tight fit with the all wooden sets.I have attached a photo of mine which is mainly Brio with some Bigjigs and some White Company. The boys havent used the Ikea stuff. This set is mine, they have their own at home. In all my years as parent/grandparent it is the best toy I have ever bought in terms of play value, versatility and longevity.

cloggal Sun 24-Aug-14 19:20:08

Thanks so much - good to know that a) there are several thomas sets and that b) the wooden ones are brio compatible. What a minefield... At least now you've put me on the right track... wink

cloggal Sun 24-Aug-14 19:21:42

greylady that is quite a collection! As you've guessed I'm just starting out on this journey!

thegreylady Tue 26-Aug-14 10:15:35

We added the Brio coal barge set which has a coal train,canal boat, a crane with magnet and magnetised coal and bunker. The boys build in a canal basin and take the track round to it . It has added a great extra dimension. You can see the crane in the photo. My two dgs weren't great Thomas fans but they (I) have a Brio Mallard and a Flying Scotsman which are their favourites.

MiaowTheCat Tue 26-Aug-14 11:05:59

Jumping on the bandwagon here (sorry for the slight hijack) - I've seen people mention before the Ikea one isn't fantastic but I'm considering getting the start of a wooden train set for one of the DDs for Christmas (they play for ages with the track part of the infernal Toot Toot garage from hell) and we're skint... any gems out there where you get a decent amount of stuff for your money? I know Brio's fab but it's pricey as hell.

cloggal Tue 26-Aug-14 11:53:05

Miaow - eBay!! Great deals on big sets and as it's wooden they often look as new.

Greylady that sounds lovely. I'm hoping DS will enjoy his and want to add to it over the years too.

thegreylady Tue 26-Aug-14 19:06:05

Look for Bigjigs trains on Amazon they are similar to Brio and quite a bit cheaper. I buy most of my track from them.

KeithTheCat Tue 26-Aug-14 19:21:59

this is my kinda thread!

most wooden railway sets are compatible with each other, as has already been said. we have some brio, bigjigs, Ikea, thomas wooden railway and chuggington wooden railway and an elc train too.

bigjigs is much cheaper than brio but I don't find it to be as great quality. I can't imagine it being passed down generations like brio but it does the job.

I DS likes the Ikea one and think it's great as a starter, a PP (sorry, can't remember your name!) is right that it's a bit tight to fit the tracks with the brio tracks, DS is 4 and has autism so gets very frustrated when he can't put them together, most of the time he manages fine though.

smile

thegreylady Tue 26-Aug-14 21:14:08

I agree about the bigjigs not being quite as sturdy and, honestly, Brio is outstandingly the best. My grandchildren are playing with stuff their parents had in the 70s! I had Mallard and Flying Scotsman for birthday presents and I am always on the lookout for interesting stuff on ebay. The Ikea connections are a nuisance. We tend to connect them to one anotheer and into the brio stuff at each end.
I am 70 and quite often build a layout of my own! I got my first 'own set' for my 50th! I have a Babar and Celeste picnic train too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now