Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Help needed, please. DS 11 would love to go to Barcelona with his mum for a weekend..

(25 Posts)
VinoEsmeralda Sun 24-Aug-14 15:00:45

Next month DS will be 11 and he loves cycling and asked if he could go away with me for a weekend to cycle& visit museums.

Anybody have any recommendations as where to stay ( district wise), possible accommodation, where to go and things to avoid.

many thanks, very excited at the idea:-)

DeputyPecksBentBeak Sun 24-Aug-14 15:20:18

Not a clue, but it sounds bloody lovely grin

AlpacaMyBags Sun 24-Aug-14 15:29:47

An 11 year old that wants to spend time with their parent instead of being completely embarrassed to be seen with them? I'd write a book if I was you! grin

Have you looked on TripAdvisor to see what the top rated places are?

VinoEsmeralda Sun 24-Aug-14 15:32:41

Thanks Deputysmile. He doesn't want a party or any presents but a weekend away.. Going to get him a lonely planet and Spanish phrase book and then hopefully Feb/march time go, really want to get the location right. He loves museum visits, good food, walking and cycling.

VinoEsmeralda Sun 24-Aug-14 15:35:33

Alpaca he is a geek but a very lovely one smile

Good idea re trip advisor, will have a look.

BravePotato Sun 24-Aug-14 15:40:19

We stayed here, for Easter with my 12 and 10yr old.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187497-d228653-Reviews-Hotel_America-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

We could walk to centre from there, but it was not in the seedy Ramblas area.

We loved wandering around from there to the harbour, we loved the science museum, the cable car, Parque Guell and finding nice little places to eat (lots of restaurants near the hotel).

BravePotato Sun 24-Aug-14 15:40:41
BumpAndGrind Sun 24-Aug-14 15:41:53

Its only an hour from portaventura theme park...

tshirtsuntan Sun 24-Aug-14 15:46:23

They have some good apartment deals on air bnb, worth a look.

VinoEsmeralda Sun 24-Aug-14 15:57:20

Hotel America looks good and thanks for the tips. Cable car def yes and science museum. Off to have a look at air BB

VinoEsmeralda Sun 24-Aug-14 18:25:01

Found a good package deal with Hotel America, just wondering Brave, how did you get from the airport to the hotel?

LatteLoverLovesLattes Sun 24-Aug-14 18:55:06

All of the Gaudi stuff is very cool - you definitely need to go and see some of that smile

We stayed down on the beach, lovely and relaxing, great for cycling and easy to walk/bus into the city.

Ramblas is definitely best avoided these days, full of men selling beer (cans) out of supermaket bags and generally being idiots.

I hope you both have a fab time smile

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 24-Aug-14 18:57:40

Get him a Catalan phrase book !
You can get the bus to Plaça Catalunya or Espanya , metro it from there if you need to.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 24-Aug-14 18:59:12

Also there's an amusement park on the top of Tibidabo. QuintoConyo is the person to ask on here ....

Handsoff7 Sun 24-Aug-14 19:12:55

There's a train from the airport that connects with the metro or a taxi is roughly 30 Euro from memory

BravePotato Sun 24-Aug-14 19:22:55

We took a taxi.

The hotel was not amazing, the pool was tiny, but it was clean and pleasant, comfy beds, very friendly staff and nice breakfast. And charming in a small hotel way. I don't really like big chains.

BravePotato Sun 24-Aug-14 19:26:05

I find Tripadvisor very useful when searching for hotels.

catsofa Sun 24-Aug-14 19:30:08

Do register (it's easy) and post this on the CTC forum here, they are a lovely bunch and will be able to tell you loads of useful things about taking or hiring bikes, routes, things to do etc.

VinoEsmeralda Sun 24-Aug-14 19:43:12

Just found another great little place 5 mins walk from Sagrada Familia and it comes with 2 free bikes! Feedback is nothing but positive!!

Will get a catalan phrase book, thanks Ken.

offtoseethewizard64 Sun 24-Aug-14 19:47:51

Definitely catch the dedicated Airport bus from airport to Playa de Catalunya. You can buy a return ticket easily from a kiosk at the airport terminal. They run very frequently.

dexter73 Sun 24-Aug-14 20:36:06

We hired an apartment from MH Apartments which was the same price as a hotel room. We have also stayed at the same hotel as Brave Potato and it was very nice (the rooftop pool was freezing though!).

dexter73 Sun 24-Aug-14 20:39:06

Our apartment was just around the corner from the Sagrada Familia which has a metro station right by it.

VinoEsmeralda Sun 24-Aug-14 21:57:40

I have booked a B&B with bikes for 3 nights! Going to order him lonely planet and Catalan phrase book for on his actual birthday ( possibly small cabin bag too).

cant wait to see his face:-)

VinoEsmeralda Sun 24-Aug-14 21:57:57

Thanks for all your help!

dexter73 Sun 24-Aug-14 22:12:42

Have fun - it is a great city!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now