Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Easy way to label school clothes that will be handed down.

(19 Posts)
Notso Sun 24-Aug-14 09:39:00

Before now I have just used permanent marker.
My friend just puts the surname but our is common and also a popular name.
I am thinking the sew in route but don't really want to do that if there is a nice easy way I haven't thought about.

Whitecotton Sun 24-Aug-14 09:46:39

I just use a Biro, it fades after about 4 washes though, so you have to remember to redo it. I've tried Iron on tapes but find it a faff. With dark sports kit, I uses sew on tapes.

Mildpanic Sun 24-Aug-14 09:48:35

I buy stick on labels from a company called Nametags, sorry no good at links.
Bit pricey but you can design lovely labels that really are resilient and wash/stay on well. If you email them once your order placed they will send some blank labels out as well, these can be stuck over the top when it is time to recycle for next child.
This works really well for us and I consider them to be worth it.

embox Sun 24-Aug-14 09:50:19

You could do a last name tag but then do a coloured dot beside them so your kids know it's there's if you get what I mean?

Mildpanic Sun 24-Aug-14 09:50:53

Sorry it is www.mynametags.com/

CMOTDibbler Sun 24-Aug-14 09:51:12

If you are going to hand them down, then it will be worth sewing. Get them done with one childs name at each end of your surname, then you just need to unpick each end to flip them round. Someone I know gave all their children names with the same initial so their nametapes are all initial, surname

BikeRunSki Sun 24-Aug-14 09:52:04

I use sew in name tapes, and rake them out.

My mum just used nametapes with 2 names on:

X SURNAME Y
A SURNAME B

Where x and y are my brothers and a and b are my sister and I.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Sun 24-Aug-14 09:52:41

Get the stickin labels with the two line option then do like this

A Smith
B Smith

Then cut across them before sticking them in.

Keep the other half to stick over at a later date or use in other uniform if both are in it.

I do first initial then surname in sharpie on the label. DD1's first initial is E and DD2 is R - if I do a fancy E with a tail at the bottom I can just about turn it into an R for DD2. Alternatively, you could give all your DC the same initial? <not helpful>

RussTDaviesBear Sun 24-Aug-14 09:56:12

My MIL always said she called both her children names with the same initial because of school name tapes. I'd think she was joking, except that she had no sense of humour whatsoever....

Notso Sun 24-Aug-14 10:38:56

Thanks all.
Not sure I'll go down the drastic route of name changing grin

Will look into the stickers, I really want to avoid sewing [lazy]

DaisyFlowerChain Sun 24-Aug-14 11:01:59

I'd not worry too much re handing down, apart from trousers there's little I could pass onto friends. Jumpers and polos don't seem to last the year without looking worn or stained with whiteboard pen.

As long as named for the school teacher using a laundry pen it will be fine.

Panzee Sun 24-Aug-14 11:04:35

As a teacher I can guess that a jumper in our classroom with the name of the big brother in it has been handed down. So don't worry too much about changing it.

BalloonSlayer Sun 24-Aug-14 11:12:23

I use Sharpies to write the surname in. Our surname isn't too common but if it was I would write say J SMITH, by the time the second DC inherited the item even the Sharpie would have faded somewhat so you could easily go over it and turn it into B SMITH.

hyperhops Sun 24-Aug-14 12:36:59

must admit mine often get handed down with the older sisters/brothers name in! I rely on the fact that all teachers in the school know who is related to whom and would realize who owned said item if it was found in classroom. A couple of times older sibling has come home with 2 jumpers and younger one without after jumper was found on field etc and returned to older sibling due to name tape, but they all get home eventually! (usually!!)
but then with 6 dc and several sets of uniform each it is sometimes just a matter of grabbing any clean jumper off the washing pile in a morning! LOL

Sirzy Sun 24-Aug-14 12:39:40

My son wore jumpers with my nephews name in last year to pre-school but they knew they were his.

redexpat Sun 24-Aug-14 12:42:15

I saw a post on mn a while back that suggested ds1 surname ds2 on a woven label. So you just fold the unwantwd name under.

Notso Sun 24-Aug-14 12:51:14

I do have a fair few logo items to hand down Daisy the jumpers and PE tops are a but faded but fine to reuse.
DS1 is going into his last year. DS2 is just starting the Nursery and DS3 starts nursery next year, I was sort of thinking DS1 would be 'forgotten' by the staff by the time DS3 is wearing the bigger stuff IYSWIM.

Anyway in searching for the stickers I have found several no-sew solutions which I am tempted to try. Thanks for the help smile

TeWiSavesTheDay Sun 24-Aug-14 12:58:08

Just to add, surname gets written on, but also have sew in nametapes that read:
DD2 DD1 SURNAME DS

I just fold them to fit each child before I sew them in, then when I want to change the name I don't have to unpick the whole thing.

Some bits like hats I sew them I'm with all the names showing and no big deal if it comes home with the wrong child!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now