Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

reducing working hours

(8 Posts)
eda29 Sun 24-Aug-14 03:59:11

Hello I'm 33weeks pregnant and my midwive suggest me to reduce my working hours due to my high blood pressure I will add that I'm full time contract (40hours) I will work 30 hours will it affect my MA and my holidays or will it stay the same.does my employer pay me only for 30 hours or will it be the full pay.thank you for help.

chanie44 Sun 24-Aug-14 08:23:02

Your employer isn't obliged to accommodate the reduction in hours if it doesn't meet the business needs, although I hope they would be supportive.

Your pay and annual leave would be amended accordingly.

MagratsHair Sun 24-Aug-14 08:45:46

As far as I know your employer has a duty to consider your request but they don't have to agree to it.

Your pay & holidays would be downgraded accordingly, not sure about your MA...

leadrightfoot Sun 24-Aug-14 09:04:02

Your smp is calculated from average weekly earnings in the qualifying period. So yes if you earn less in the weeks before birth or start of maternity leave it will reduce this average weekly earnings and so reduce your smp.

Purplecircle Sun 24-Aug-14 09:15:07

You're over 29 weeks so it won't affect your statutory maternity leave. The average pay for that is the pay received in the 8 weeks up to week 29.

If you get occupational maternity pay then it might be affected. Check with hr or your staff handbook

If there's a medical reason then they should support it but don't have to. What about using some holiday?

eda29 Sun 24-Aug-14 10:09:24

They said to me that my full time contract rights and obligations will not be changed I've got it in writing from them.and that from 26the August my hours of work will be reduced to 30hours per week in respect of my midwives instructions to reduce hours for health reasons I have only 2 days left on holiday so it won't help in any way.they ask me to sign that thing but I've got mixed feelings now is there anything I can do now or where can I go with that's they trick me I've got witnesses when my boss told me that all my rights are the same.I thing my boss treat me dismissively.

MagratsHair Sun 24-Aug-14 10:36:51

If you don't trust your employed eda then make an appointment with CAB & get their advice smile

eda29 Sun 24-Aug-14 11:36:47

thank you i will do that because i can't sleep now it's in my head.and it's not about money, only that i've trusted emloyee and reality can be different and he advised me not exactly, because I played it differently otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now