Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

A couple of glasses of very low alcohol wine when you are breastfeeding...???

(26 Posts)
mameulah Sat 23-Aug-14 22:49:09

Do you think that would be okay?

The lowest alcohol wine that says 'alcohol free' on the bottle but does actually have a trace of alcohol in it.

tia

hollie84 Sat 23-Aug-14 22:50:55

It sounds grim. Why not drink normal wine?

mousebacon Sat 23-Aug-14 22:51:17

Of course! Wine goes to stomach not boob

mousebacon Sat 23-Aug-14 22:51:17

Of course! Wine goes to stomach not boob

jenniuol Sat 23-Aug-14 22:52:13

It would be fine. I just had a normal, occasional glass of wine when breastfeeding.

bearfrills Sat 23-Aug-14 22:53:12

It's fine to have alcohol when breastfeeding. I can't remember the exact quantities but basically you'd need to have a dangerous amount of drinks before your milk would be unusable, something to do with alcohol being metabolised via your bloodstream therefore very little makes it into your milk. Imagine a bath tub full of water then pour a single measure of vodka into it, that's how diluted the alcohol in your milk is.

mousebacon Sat 23-Aug-14 22:53:45

Gah! Windows phone hates MN!

It's totally fine to have a glass (or two!) of normal, nice tasting wine.

mousebacon Sat 23-Aug-14 22:53:46

Gah! Windows phone hates MN!

It's totally fine to have a glass (or two!) of normal, nice tasting wine.

mousebacon Sat 23-Aug-14 22:55:32

Bearfrills says it far better than me flowers

smile

mousebacon Sat 23-Aug-14 22:55:33

Bearfrills says it far better than me flowers

smile

NotCitrus Sat 23-Aug-14 22:55:41

Enjoy a glass while you feed to give it maximum time to dissipate before baby has another feed.

ladybirdandsnails Sat 23-Aug-14 22:56:15

I used to feed mine at 9- 10 them crack the wine open grin

ladybirdandsnails Sat 23-Aug-14 22:57:02

And the odd small glass before 9 haha

bearfrills Sat 23-Aug-14 22:57:11

When we were on holiday I had a drink while feeding - baby in one hand, voddie in the other grin

RedSoloCup Sat 23-Aug-14 22:57:39

I had a friend that was donating milk to prem babies and she was told she was allowed loads of units a night, sure a few glasses of normal wine are fine (well i had a few and all three of my kids seem fine lol) smile

Hakluyt Sat 23-Aug-14 23:01:51

No it wouldn't be okay at all!!!!!!!

It would be disgusting.

Drink some nice wine!

NormHonal Sat 23-Aug-14 23:05:13

Yes! please drink some GOOD wine.

ThursdayLast Sat 23-Aug-14 23:06:01

What Hakluyt said

BertieBotts Sat 23-Aug-14 23:13:58

The others are right. Blood alcohol level is equal to milk alcohol level therefore your milk is barely alcoholic at all. It's not the same as drinking during pregnancy, where the alcohol goes straight to the baby.

This shows the effects of different blood alcohol levels:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

As you can see, for your milk to even be 0.2% alcohol you'd be unconscious. At 0.1% you'd be so drunk you probably wouldn't be looking after the baby.

The biggest risk while drinking is more if you are co sleeping - this is really dangerous if you've had even a small amount of alcohol because you lose the awareness. So just make sure not to feed the baby in bed after drinking, sit up and put them back into their own cot or moses basket when you have finished.

BertieBotts Sat 23-Aug-14 23:14:47

And the old gripe water, just for comparison, was 3.6% alcohol - the same as a weak beer.

Dealcoholized wine is incredibly weak - if it's that you mean, not a low-alcohol wine. It is not physically possible to get drunk on it. You could, if you chose, neck a couple of bottles and drive.

dustarr73 Sat 23-Aug-14 23:22:27

The way it is if you are fine to drive you are ok to feed.Have 1 glass of naice wine.The alcohol wine is crap.If its beer go for Erdinger,then at least you can have more than 1.

slug Sat 23-Aug-14 23:32:13

Feed baby first then have a drink of normal wine. By the time you need to feed again the effects will be negligible at worst.

KnittedJimmyChoos Sat 23-Aug-14 23:36:10

I read up on this a while ago and as pp say it goes into stomach and the tiniest trace goes to milk, its not the same as drinking when pregnant where far more alhcol goes direclty to baby

mameulah Sun 24-Aug-14 21:38:49

Thank you everyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now