Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Hypnotherapist insisted on me giving all my bank details

(88 Posts)
GeneralEyes Sat 23-Aug-14 21:48:21

including the last 3 numbers of the code on the back of my card. I had to write it all down on a form which she kept. The idea is that if I end up owing her money by cancelling at the last minute or something, she can just take from my bank account. I'm not really comfortable about it and wish I had been more assertive at the time. Am I being a bit silly or is this normal practice?

Only1scoop Sat 23-Aug-14 21:52:09

What a strange set up. No not normal at all. Don't divulge anything else.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 23-Aug-14 21:52:55

Shouldn't be normal at all. Huge security risk. And she cannot take money from your account without your permission. Do you have a contract with cancellation terms for instance? How does she define last minute for instance?

I'd be asking her to shred it and then finding someone more professional.

lucidlady Sat 23-Aug-14 21:53:02

I would cancel the cards tbh.

OscarWinningActress Sat 23-Aug-14 21:54:24

Hell to the NO. I've never had to do that for any service ever. Definitely suspicious.

MrsDarylDixon Sat 23-Aug-14 21:54:46

No not normal! Cancel your card and don't tell her the new details.

Only1scoop Sat 23-Aug-14 21:55:48

Your hypnotist isn't Kenny Craig is it?? smile

UrsulaTheZebra Sat 23-Aug-14 21:57:24

Bank details she can't do much with. Card security code is massive no-no. Cancel the cards, you've compromised their security. Check if she's listed with any of the hypnotherapy industry bodies - GHSC or GHR perhaps - and report her to them if she is. Abuse of client trust.

GeneralEyes Sat 23-Aug-14 21:59:21

oh God I thought it was a bit weird.
I paid in cash at the end of the session. She didn't give me a receipt. I just felt like it was all about protecting her and not me.

gertiegusset Sat 23-Aug-14 22:01:35

Oh my word, was this before she hypnotised you?

wildfig Sat 23-Aug-14 22:02:54

CANCEL THE CARD!

I think she must have hypnotised you just before suggesting this.

gertiegusset Sat 23-Aug-14 22:03:11

If you paid in cash why did she need the details to protect herself against you not paying?

GeneralEyes Sat 23-Aug-14 22:04:06

No it was at the very beginning - I did query it and she assured me the details would be locked away. Actually I didn't get any hypnosis for the whole session as it was just an initial consultation. I think I might email and say I don't want to continue, as I found her a bit school-marmish.

gatewalker Sat 23-Aug-14 22:05:28

Her request is utter madness or deliberate fraud. If I were anxious about not being paid, I'd simply ask for the money up-front: no money, no appointment.

YY to cancelling your card.

GeneralEyes Sat 23-Aug-14 22:05:34

gertiegusset - in case I don't turn up for an appointment in the future, apparently.

gertiegusset Sat 23-Aug-14 22:05:36

Very odd indeed.

thenightsky Sat 23-Aug-14 22:05:48

bin this one off. She sounds weird and untrustworthy.

GeneralEyes Sat 23-Aug-14 22:07:41

what shall I say to her? I would like to tell her somehow that I am uncomfortable about the card situation and that I feel it's bad practice, rather than just saying I don't want to come back because I've changed my mind about hypnotherapy.

gertiegusset Sat 23-Aug-14 22:11:22

I'd just cancel the card and not go back.

GeneralEyes Sat 23-Aug-14 22:17:30

it's not so much that I feel that she's untrustworthy, more that she assumes I am untrustworthy!

aNoteToFollowSo Sat 23-Aug-14 22:18:21

OP, tell her exactly what you have written here, namely "I am uncomfortable about the card situation and that I feel it's bad practice". It's fair enough - not in any way rude or abusive. Just a reasonable response to what you believe, along with many others, to be unprofessional, unacceptable behavior.

UrsulaTheZebra Sat 23-Aug-14 22:18:53

Phone or email the General Hypnotherapy Register www.general-hypnotherapy-register.com/contact-us/ - ask them if this is good/standard practice (it isn't). Phone/email her and say that the General Hypnotherapy Standards Council have said that this isn't normal practice and as such you'd like to discontinue any further treatment.

Pico2 Sat 23-Aug-14 22:19:56

Have you cancelled your card yet?

GeneralEyes Sat 23-Aug-14 22:22:26

no I've not cancelled it yet. I will do though. Perhaps I should tell her that I have been advised to cancel it and as such, this has brought about some inconvenience to me.

scottishmummy Sat 23-Aug-14 22:26:40

Thats a potential fraud kit.thats your whole details.the security code is often asked for online purchase
Order a new card

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now