Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Is it my bra. or something else?

(19 Posts)
muffliato Sat 23-Aug-14 13:47:49

My left breast is really hurting me. I'm usually bra less at home, but this morning went shopping for just over an hour and now it won't stop hurting.

It's the feeling that it's not been fed our of for a while. But when we got in ds had a big feed but it still hurts.

I've tried googling but can't find anything. Help.

Pastamancer Sat 23-Aug-14 13:53:25

Is it lumpy? Can you express out of it and if so, does the milk look normal?

muffliato Sat 23-Aug-14 13:59:00

No I don't think it's lumpy, I can just feel the ducts I think. I can express though it hurts to touch and the milk looks fine.

Pastamancer Sat 23-Aug-14 14:03:00

Ok. I was sore once but it was also lumpy and the milk came out looking a bit green. Looks like you have something different and I'm afraid I don't know what else it could be If you are concerned then maybe OOH Dr?

muffliato Sat 23-Aug-14 14:05:12

Thanks.

I'm hoping that maybe my bra squashed it a bit too much. But then it's only the left one so I don't know.

Pastamancer Sat 23-Aug-14 14:13:33

Does your bra fit properly? Check this site if you haven't already

drivenbyyou Sat 23-Aug-14 14:26:18

Is it red? Do you feel a bit out of sorts yourself? Apart from needing a feed, the only thing that made one of my breasts sore when I was feeding was mastitis.

If it gets any worse, OOH doc and rule out infection. Otherwise cold cabbage leaves or compress.

muffliato Sat 23-Aug-14 14:31:36

Thanks for the link. I will check it in a bit.

No driven, it's not red and I'm feeling ok. It's literally come on all of a sudden, one minute I was fine then it felt tightening like ds needed to feed. But he had a pretty big feed but the pain is still there.

drivenbyyou Sat 23-Aug-14 14:40:05

Mmm, have you been stung by anything (wasps here are getting pretty angry)?

Would still try alternating warm and cool compress and maybe try and express a bit to see if it goes. Otherwise it might just be one of those 'lumpy, uncomfortable, intermittent' type of things that happen with feeding. Wouldn't have thought it was your bra unless you've been wearing a new one lately and it's been digging in.

And don't know if it's possible for you to do, but I found letting my breasts get some fresh air (as in no covering at all) while lying down for half an hour helped with the 'fairly constantly constrained' feeling.

muffliato Sat 23-Aug-14 14:49:21

I really don't think I've been stung. Think I'd have felt that.

I'll try alienating a compress now thanks. It's not a new bra but I have put on a bit of weight, though it's mainly on my stomach and thighs. blush

It's really annoying as I'm just getting annoyed with dds moaning, which I usually am fine with , because of the pain. And it's only been a few hours.

Frikadellen Sat 23-Aug-14 14:49:30

Could be the beginning of a plugged duct. Next time your ds feeds on that side to try angle him so he is feeding towards where the pain is with his jaw (may need you to do some inventive positioning) the jaw area is what empties the breast the best hence suggesting this.

Keep an eye on it going lumpy and red obviously.

Other possibility is that you having rubbed and poked at it has created a bruise and this will take a few days to heal.

muffliato Sat 23-Aug-14 14:59:50

Thanks for the link Frikafellen. A plugged duct could be a possibility especially as the link says it dosent have to be a lump.

drivenbyyou Sat 23-Aug-14 15:04:19

You can still take paracetamol whilst feeding too, if it's getting a bit too sore. But I wouldn't leave it for too much longer if it seems to be getting worse - mastitis can be quite nasty, but takes 2 minutes for a doc to diagnose and get anti-bs started.

Does it feel hot - or at least warmer than the other one (I know this is a bit subjective and depends on what the weather's like and what you're wearing)? That really would suggest infection rather than a blocked duct. Just don't feel that it's 'not important enough' to get a hold of an OOH doc to have a look.

drivenbyyou Sat 23-Aug-14 15:07:15

Sorry just had a look at Frikadellen's link - explains it all pretty much there smile

muffliato Sat 23-Aug-14 15:18:36

Thanks driven. That's kind of what I'm feeling 're going to an ooh doctors. As I don't drive so would either have to wait for Dh to finish work or get a taxi and drag the dc there.

I've just had a warm shower to try and ease the pain so am still warm. Will wait another couple of hours and see how I go.

drivenbyyou Sat 23-Aug-14 18:26:25

Hope you're feeling a bit better now, or managed to get to the doc. I'm guilty myself of putting off trips to the doc, especially when I'm on my own with the kids (and no car).

Take care.

muffliato Sat 23-Aug-14 20:03:03

Thank you. I'm not feeling too bad when I lie down or even when ds is feeding.
It's when I stand up or do something that it hurts.

I will wait until tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm still hoping I've somehow bruised it. was running earlier to get out of the rain maybe that did it

HumblePieMonster Sat 23-Aug-14 20:53:40

Carried a heavy shopping bag?

muffliato Tue 26-Aug-14 14:33:10

Thanks for all the advice. I'm pretty sure it was a plugged duct . Anyway it's gone now and I'm feeling so much better. Still a tiny bit sore to touch but that should go away soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now