Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Sorry for DM link-but so many questions-a ladies bathing pond?

(43 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Aug-14 12:00:14

Here Where to start? Except perhaps why is there a bathing bond for ladies? Then everything else. confused

Plus is the use of 'frogmarched' a pond pun?

MagratsHair Sat 23-Aug-14 12:01:34

I love the idea of a Ladies Pond! grin

Looks cold though!

MagratsHair Sat 23-Aug-14 12:02:23

I'm also pleased by 'bathing'.

We ladies do not swim in the pond, we bathe. I want one.

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Aug-14 12:03:27

YY we all need to go 'bathing' in the 'ladies pond' grin But I have DC with penises (sp) so they would have to go the the men's pond.

bigkidsdidit Sat 23-Aug-14 12:03:46

I thought it was well known! It's a lovely place

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Aug-14 12:04:38

Not to us Midlanders big. sad We have a Lido but there are penises in that. <sulks>

MrsDavidBowie Sat 23-Aug-14 12:05:56

Another DM sad face.
I don't blame the pond people saying no to under eights. Don't want screeching children.

bigkidsdidit Sat 23-Aug-14 12:06:03

Lol grin

I love that it still exists. It's so Victorian.

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Aug-14 12:07:15

Have you been big? Do you wear a bathing suit? No bikinis I wouldn't think they were allowed.

WorraLiberty Sat 23-Aug-14 12:10:22

Oh that's so funny

I wonder if the Laydeez wear those bathing caps with the plastic flowers on, while doing synchronised swimming? grin

As for the Mother, can she really not read the signs?

bigkidsdidit Sat 23-Aug-14 12:10:37

I did, yes. I can't remember (I went years ago, I don't live in London now) but I THINK someone was naked shock

TalcumPowder Sat 23-Aug-14 12:11:10

It's been there, and women only, for about a million years. There's a men only bathing pond on the Heath too, AND a mixed pond, AND a Lido. It's not as if there weren't lots of places to swim with children. Assuming the comment about the baby having a penis was a joke that misfired, though I can appreciate the woman may have felt humiliated if she genuinely didn't notice the 'no under eights' sign.

edie79 Sat 23-Aug-14 12:12:11

Hampsted heath has a ladies bathing pond, a men-only bathing pond (which has been a bit of a gay pick-up spot at various times) and a mixed bathing pond. People go all year round, its actually very cool.

TalcumPowder Sat 23-Aug-14 12:13:45

I swam there once or twice when we lived nearish. The only common denominator among the swimmers, besides female chromosomes, was being the kind of hardcore types who swim regularly in unseated outdoor ponds all year round, and don't squeak when they collide with a duck or some weed.

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Aug-14 12:15:01

OMG big naked people? In the ladies' bathing pond?? shock Not this then?

TalcumPowder Sat 23-Aug-14 12:15:29

Yes, the men's pond used to have a reputation for being very cruise-y. Both ponds are very screened by trees and greenery, so frankly, daily cold-water orgies could be taking place.

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Aug-14 12:16:27

Well it sounds like Hampstead is very well catered for bathing pond wise. I am well jel.

Sleepyhoglet Sat 23-Aug-14 12:17:15

Far top cold for a baby. She does not have my sympathy

bigkidsdidit Sat 23-Aug-14 12:19:48

An orgy at the men's pond features in The Line of Beauty I think.

Sparklingbrook Sat 23-Aug-14 12:21:21

Using the word 'pond' makes it sound like an algae filled bit of water with ducks swimming in it-and not very enticing. Can it not be a lake?

Kimaroo Sat 23-Aug-14 12:22:25

So, 34 year old research scientist joins the ranks of motherhood and immediately thinks she's above the rules because her child wasn't making a noise etc. She's been reading too many AIBU threads I reckon.

Kimaroo Sat 23-Aug-14 12:23:21

Love that comment about not squeaking when colliding with a duck or some weed. Hilarious!

Iwasinamandbunit Sat 23-Aug-14 12:24:30

How beautiful that looks but I bet it is freezing and no way suitable for a baby.

She is just being daft and all PFB, I want to know what she designs.

IScreamForIceCream Sat 23-Aug-14 12:26:16

The bathing ponds are amazing - so anachronistic!
They are fed by springs from the ( mostly underground ) River Fleet don't you know?

But surely, clearly not a place for children.

BackToYourselfYouSillyOldElf Sat 23-Aug-14 12:26:35

I'm interested in this too. What happens about water quality? Is it fed by a stream. Is it full of rusty cars and slime?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now