Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How long would you hold onto a neighbours parcels for?

(19 Posts)
fluffyduffydoo Sat 23-Aug-14 11:35:28

Delivery driver didn't bring it to us

Two large parcels were sitting at neighbours door on Wednesday

I first saw them at 12pm and they were still there at 6pm so I brought them in and put a note through the door saying they are with me

I haven't heard from neighbour yet

How long would you hold onto them before calling the companies and arranging for them to be collected?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 23-Aug-14 11:37:17

I would speak to the neighbour first.

Valiant1 Sat 23-Aug-14 11:37:26

are they on holiday? prob a week or so if you havent seen them.

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Sat 23-Aug-14 11:41:13

Yep, they may be on holiday, so I'd hang on to them for a week or so. Do you have any other neighbours you could ask who might know if they're away? If you've put a note through the door, the recipients know where the parcel is, and will come to collect it as soon as they can.

If you've heard nothing in a couple of weeks, you could then contact the company to arrange for collection.

fluffyduffydoo Sat 23-Aug-14 12:00:16

One of the parcels has next day delivery printed on it which makes me think they are not on holiday (as no one surely would arrange a next day delivery if you were leaving for holiday?)

We do not know these neighbours

Fluffyears Sat 23-Aug-14 12:04:43

You can't send them back if you took it upon yourself to take them in!

Vitalstatistix Sat 23-Aug-14 12:08:27

maybe they are waiting for you to bring them round? Did your note specifically say come and fetch them?

I have always thought that the person whose parcel it is has the responsibility of going to collect it, but then there was a thread on here a bit back and about half the respondents said that they thought the person taking in the parcel should bring it round. I think it's weird to be expected to be an extension of the bloody post office grin but perhaps they are waiting for you to take it to them?

gamerwidow Sat 23-Aug-14 12:08:53

why don't you just knock on the neighbours door? calling company to take parcels back is a bit petty considering you took it open yourself to take them in.

Why don't you knock the door and actually speak to them?? Maybe the note got buried under other stuff and hasn't been seen. I would not arrange for them to be collected until you have spoken to your neighbour.

fluffyduffydoo Sat 23-Aug-14 12:14:30

I've knocked the door! Do you really think I wouldn't have tried that grin

KarinMurphy Sat 23-Aug-14 12:24:53

I'd wait a week or so, they are probably on holiday.

We paid extra for next day delivery for something as we were off on holiday and really needed it to arrive before we left. Despite this they failed to deliver it in time and it actually arrived two days after we'd gone.

I'd give it a fortnight from date of delivery, as this time of year they may have gone away.

If it says next day delivery it may have been a last minute holiday purchase that didn't arrive in time.

Numanoid Sat 23-Aug-14 12:41:57

I would leave it at least a fortnight too. They'll probably be round as soon as they see your note. smile

UrsulaBuffay Sat 23-Aug-14 12:46:16

At 6 I wouldn't even be back from work, I'd probably be slightly miffed someone had taken them before I'd got home.

Kimaroo Sat 23-Aug-14 12:48:44

It would never occur to me to send them back. How would you stand with the delivery company? They left them at the address stated and they are being returned by a third person. Just hold onto them. Occasionally putting notes through the door. After a month I would put them back on the doorstep I think!

Gruntfuttock Sat 23-Aug-14 12:58:40

Are they in the phone book? Have you tried phoning them? Even if they're out maybe they have an answering machine, so you could leave a message.

fluffyduffydoo Sat 23-Aug-14 12:59:41

Ursula I know what you mean however we live in a block of flats and parcels tend to go walk about unfortunately

Gruntfuttock Sat 23-Aug-14 13:03:20

I agree that the item may not have been delivered the day after ordering even if they did pay for next day delivery. I recently ordered 2 books from Amazon (not a Marketplace seller) and I currently have a trial Amazon Prime membership, so both were supposed to arrive the next day. One did, and the other arrived a day later. I'm surprosed the packages were just left outside though. I didn't think that was the practice for either Royal Mail or couriers.

UrsulaBuffay Sat 23-Aug-14 19:58:45

Stick em back outside their door with a few notes on/through the door and wash your hands of it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now