Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Where have you been on holiday this year, and have you got anything booked up for next year?

(148 Posts)
Celticlass2 Sat 23-Aug-14 10:30:23

Just looking for some inspiration for next year's main summer holiday. We went to Portugal for our main summer holiday in July, off on a camping trip to north wales next week, did a music festival beginning of August, and a european four night break over Easter.

Just booked some Ryanair flights to Dublin for the October half term to see family in Dublin.

DH are looking for flights ( have quite a few avios) for next march while DD is away on a school trip. Thinking of Warsaw or Berlin.

Where has everyone been on holiday this year, and what are you planning for next year?

Nusalembogan Sat 23-Aug-14 10:34:56

Just back from the Far East. Missing my holidays sad.

creamhearts Sat 23-Aug-14 10:43:43

We went to Santorinin in June and have a weekend in Edinburgh booked for October and a holiday booked to the Canaries for next May.

ruralmyth Sat 23-Aug-14 10:51:06

Me too Nusalembogan but I'm suffering with horrible jet leg.

PortofinoRevisited Sat 23-Aug-14 10:58:18

I am currently looking at how to get to Corfu without flying. I have found somewhere lovely but dd refuses to go on a plane.

No holiday this year, not even in the uk but we are going to Florida for two weeks in March. Very excited for it, I've never been abroad before

nilbyname Sat 23-Aug-14 11:04:45

Had a villa in pollensa, Mallorca in may which was lovely and we would love to go back. Went to southern Brittany and the vendee in France for 2 weeks this summer which was also wonderful, but we go to France most years. Got a week in St Monans in FIfe for October half term.
Next year we will have 2 weeks in Portugal and possibly a week in France and I am booking up a week in Cornwall for camping too.
I love holidays!

Celticlass2 Sat 23-Aug-14 11:23:33

great to see some of you have booked up already for next year. I think i'm experiencing the post holiday blues, although we still have a camping trip left, so not quite over yet.
We are thinking of Southern Brittany for next year, but a bit put off by what the weather might be like. Apparently this year it has been very hit and miss.
I love holidays as well, and am always planning something.

ScrambledEggAndToast Sat 23-Aug-14 11:28:38

Went to Tunisia this year, it was fab. Currently eyeing up Lanzarote for next year. Really wanted to go to Turkey but the flight times were terrible and would have involved taking an extra two days off work hmm

Bigbanger Sat 23-Aug-14 11:43:03

I'm booked in at the coral waterworld in Egypt next August with my 4 dd's (one not born yet) along with my mum and dad!

I didn't have a holiday this year due to being pregnant and spending on house but my 3 girls went away with there dad to Rhodes a few weeks ago!

The girls don't know about next years hols, I'm keeping it a surprise until we get to the airport ��

PossumPoo Sat 23-Aug-14 11:50:14

We went to Lanzarote last and really enjoyed it. Off to Portugal soon. I will hopefully be on mat leave next summer and will have family visiting us in the UK so might try a week in October again in Lanzarote but really pushing for Christmas in Aus.

We have to go somewhere hot each year, and I mean proper hot with sunshine. I miss home too much and this is my shitty compromise.

We go to Dublin a couple of times a year to visit IL and try to do a few short breaks in the UK to do the tourist thing.

WildThong Sat 23-Aug-14 11:54:27

Was in Ibiza in July, really lovely. Shame how some parts of it are highlighted and portrayed so negatively in the media.
Looking at Lagos in Portugal or maybe Malaga or something like that for October.

blueskiesandflowers Sat 23-Aug-14 11:55:58

We went to centre parcs Cumbria for a week this month it was great we are going to book it for next yeast

Tinkerball Sat 23-Aug-14 11:59:43

We drove to Italy and had 2 weeks in a villa in Tuscany, just bliss, camped for a few nights on the way home in the South of France. Next year is our big one, itinerary all worked out at travel cogent and just waiting on flights being released for next September, a California road trip plus a few nights at Grand Canyon, can't wait!

MamaPain Sat 23-Aug-14 12:07:16

Have been to Jamaica, we go nearly every year as it's DH's homeland and the PIL have a home there so get to see lots of family. It is lush.

Also had some time in Sicily and Ibiza and spent a weekends in Venice, Marrakech and Amsterdam.

Am off to NYC in a month.

Next year I plan on going to Mexico, San Francisco/California and am considering doing a road trip around Denmark or Sweden.

allmycats Sat 23-Aug-14 12:10:50

Been to Dubrovnik and Scotland - next year Isle of Man and not yet decided.

Nusalembogan Sat 23-Aug-14 12:12:38

ruralmyth I have horrible jetlag too so you have my sympathy!

MamaPain sounds wonderful!

I spend my whole life dreaming about places I'd like to visit - am totally obsessed with travel, shame I can't finance it as well as I'd like.

Celticlass2 Sat 23-Aug-14 12:13:03

Some great ideas here thanks. Wildthong, I was on the point of booking avios flights to Ibiza last week as I had been checking to see if dates became available, and they did.

We didn't book in the end, as didn't want to commit quite so early for next July. Also Dd 13 really wants to go to Lake Garda, and DH Croatia, so we are going to have trouble agreeing ha.

I am ûalso planning a trip with a friend for a long weekend next June. We go somewhere every year.
We have narrowed it down to Girona or Porto.
Just waiting on flights to be released to book that.

Squitten Sat 23-Aug-14 12:15:53

We did a week in Sardinia over summer half-term and we've taken some holiday at home over the summer, which has been lovely.

Nothing booked yet but next year will definitely be a few weeks in Ireland. I'm long overdue a visit to family over there and we'll tour around a bit.

Sirzy Sat 23-Aug-14 12:16:15

We did a weeks cruise in May and just got back from 4 nights in a caravan in wales.

Next year we have 3 nights in wales, a 3 night cruise and a week in a caravan in Norfolk booked

WhereHas1999DissappearedToo Sat 23-Aug-14 12:17:39

We live in NZ so went to visit my mum, DB and SIL in Queenstown and Central Otago (we go there regularly as we use to live there) in January as thats our summer holidays, and we went to Auckland to visit PIL in April.

But we're going to New York and Boston in November to visit an old Uni friend. Going to Melbourne next year in July to visit nieces and my one of my oldest school friends.

Skivvywoman Sat 23-Aug-14 12:17:57

Scrambledegg I'm going to Tunisia in 3 weeks and can't wait it's been a long dull summer apart from the odd few days of sunshine here so will welcome the sun with open arms smile

What hotel did you stay in?

aubreye Sat 23-Aug-14 12:18:55

Florida and Calofornia this year, (Conneticut at x-mas with my family).
Next year it's skiing in the Alps and a stop off at my cousin (he lives in Paris and has a son who is near DSs age. In the summer we are going to South Africa to visit a friend who has asked us round when the kids were old enough.

Skivvywoman Sat 23-Aug-14 12:19:00

Bigbanger I was there last year but in the coral sea aqua club but went to waterworld for the day you will love it smile

Bunbaker Sat 23-Aug-14 12:19:34

DD will be entering year 10 in a couple of weeks so our Spring bank week holidays will be off the menu for the next four years sad. We can't make plans a year in advance because OH is self employed, so we will have to wait and see.

OH flies such a lot for work that it is a big ask to get him into another plane for going on holiday. We also love holidaying in the UK and staying in a SC cottage for a week has often been our best type of holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now