Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Doing stuff on your own

(40 Posts)
dustarr73 Sat 23-Aug-14 09:15:35

I am going to the Dublin Tattoo Convention on my own.Im terrified.I have never been to one before.
So what sort of things do you lot do on your own.

amyhamster Sat 23-Aug-14 09:16:55

cinema
coffee
pub
nights away

I love my own company smile

AuntieBrenda Sat 23-Aug-14 09:24:09

Cinema
Meal
Easy peasy! Have a good time! grin

dustarr73 Sat 23-Aug-14 09:28:13

I do stuff on my own its just this seems like a group activity.Ah im getting tattooed at it as

dustarr73 Sat 23-Aug-14 09:28:31

well.

Ilovenewts Sat 23-Aug-14 09:30:13

How do you eat alone ? I have to do it for work and I hate it. It's not he kind of job where I look like I'm on business either so I feel a bit weird about it.

Gileswithachainsaw Sat 23-Aug-14 09:30:24

I'd go on my own.

I love an excuse to go on my own somewhere. No keeping track of kids on the bus/train.

No worrying that dp will get fed up going into places he's not interested in. Coffee. iPhone and iPod. Bliss

Selks Sat 23-Aug-14 09:33:43

I'm off out for a day out in the Yorkshire Dales today, I could have asked friends if they wanted to go but just fancy some time to myself. Am planning a drive around and a bit of a walk, there is an agricultural show I can stop off at if I fancy, and a curry on the way home. Will be taking my new camera to have a play with it, without anyone wingeing 'oh are you stopping to take ANOTHER photograph?' grin

AlleyCat11 Sat 23-Aug-14 09:40:24

I love doing things by myself. Been like that since I was a kid. Love seeing my friends, but alone time is valuable to me. Shopping, lunch, cinema, dinner, events, holidays. Sometimes I'd getting chatting, so it's a good way to mix & meet new people. Took myself away for a spa weekend for my birthday once. 'twas fab. Chocs, champagne & bubble bath all for me! Going to Ultimate Girls Day Out tomorrow, just me.
Luckily I'm in a relationship with somebody equally independent. We both like solo outings. Some of my friends can't even get on a bus or go to the by themselves. I suppose everyone's different. I think you'll have a grand day out & you can keep your own agenda. Good luck with the tattoo!

dustarr73 Sat 23-Aug-14 10:04:09

Actually might do a night away soon on my own.Im an only child,well use to my own company.

wigglesrock Sat 23-Aug-14 10:08:05

Cinema, concerts, theatre, shopping. Before we had the kids, when me and my husband were on holiday we would have done different things during the day - went to see a sight, went to a market etc. I use to visit my sister when she lived away, she would have worked days/nights so I would have done loads on my own.

PetiteBateau Sat 23-Aug-14 10:26:55

I really miss time on my own, I crave it. On the rare occasion that I get it, I love it. Lone cinema trips, reading a book in a cafe with coffee & cake, walking at my own pace ( as opposed to toddler pace)

dustarr73 Sat 23-Aug-14 10:44:57

Do you know what im looking forward to it now.Maybe have a nice dinner somewhere and then go for my tattoo.Thanks MN for making me feel better.

sashh Sat 23-Aug-14 11:09:15

How do you eat alone ? I have to do it for work and I hate it. It's not he kind of job where I look like I'm on business either so I feel a bit weird about it.

Get a seat by a window so you have something to look at.
Talk to the waiting staff, I don't mean a huge conversation just a 'how are you' and if they have an accent where are you from.

If you go to the same town on business then eat at the same place, or pic a couple so you become a regular.

Above all you have as much right to eat as any other person on the planet so there is no reason to feel strange/uncomfortable.

ftmsoon Sat 23-Aug-14 11:28:04

I went to Gran Canaria for a week on my own. I took a book everywhere just in case, but often just people watched. I went on excursions on my own and generally found someone to talk too. I did enjoy coming home though!

MrsDavidBowie Sat 23-Aug-14 11:35:16

Everything...I prefer it to doing it with dp.
I regularly eat out, go for coffee or glass of wine
Short breaks alone
Theatre/cinema/galleries/concerts

Iwasinamandbunit Sat 23-Aug-14 11:42:55

Art galleries always better when alone.

I can ponder a painting for as long as I like when by myself.

Thumbwitch Sat 23-Aug-14 13:49:46

I'll happily go to exhibitions, conventions etc. by myself. I'll go out to eat if I'm on the road by myself, but wouldn't choose to eat out alone otherwise. I have been to see a musical production by myself but have never managed the cinema alone, but I have been away for holidays alone.

I don't mind doing stuff alone but there are some things that I prefer to do with company.

CadleCrap Sat 23-Aug-14 13:57:59

I used to go on holiday on my own.

If I wanted company I would stay in a backpackers.

EBearhug Sat 23-Aug-14 14:08:17

I do pretty much everything on my own. I'm single, and most of my friends live away from where I am and have young children. If I would only do things with other people, I'd go out about twice a year.

Holidays alone, travelled half the world on my own, hotels alone. I don't always stay in hotels - backpackers can be cheaper, and I have more flexibility that way on my own. But sometimes I want the luxury of my own en-suite. It would sometimes be easier to have someone to hold my baggage while I pop to the loo, but that's not a problem I have to deal with at all often, and it's not enough to stop me

Restaurants alone - I just take a book, or these days a smartphone with kindle app and wifi. Cinema alone, theatre alone, ballet alone, opera alone, walking alone, beach alone, exhibitions alone, museums alone.

I agree that art galleries are definitely better alone.

MirandaWest Sat 23-Aug-14 14:20:30

I went to Alton Towers on my own yesterday. Was able to do exactly what I wanted when I wanted to without having to think about anyone else. Was great smile Couod have done with someone to drive me back but that is my only gripe grin

RabbitSaysWoof Sat 23-Aug-14 15:01:51

I hate shopping with others, I dont care what people own and I dont want their opinions on what I want to buy, I dont like waiting around or feeling guilty that I'm keeping someone else waiting around.
I'd love to eat or go cinema alone but I'm too chicken. Obvs will sit in a cafe/ food court but would love to go to a restaurant alone.

dustarr73 Sat 23-Aug-14 15:39:55

I think the cinema is definately one of the places you can go alone wihtout feeling self conscious.

Numanoid Sat 23-Aug-14 15:42:18

I usually go clothes shopping alone, as DP hates it and it's just something I prefer to do in my own time, without having to rush and taking my time to pick what I need.

elvenbread Sat 23-Aug-14 15:44:26

Walks, cinema, theatre, holidays, shopping etc. Some through choice and othertimes because I can't find someone to go with. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now