Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

How do you pronounce Guardian?

(23 Posts)

I am being roundly mocked by my not so dear DC as I apparently say this word oddly.

Apparently they say Guardian like Gard Ee An which I thought I did too.

But no, apparently I say Gar Jin.

It must be my west coast of Scotland upbringing or something grin but surely I am not alone.

How do you all say it?

figgypuddings Sat 23-Aug-14 08:33:07

The newspaper - Gar Dee An

Someone who cares for someone else - Gar Jin. I never thought about it before. grin

PinkLemons Sat 23-Aug-14 08:34:22

Gar-dee-en

TheCSLibraryPree Sat 23-Aug-14 08:37:44

I say both newspaper and carer as gar dee un but that could well be my dodgy accent!!

catsrus Sat 23-Aug-14 08:40:54

my scottish friend says GarJin too - I think it sounds lovely tbh, but then I'm a sucker for a scottish accent :-) I say gar dee un but tinking about it probably used to say something more like garjin before I became a southern softy.....

Figgy, same here!

It talk about The Guardian as gar dee un. But I went to see the movie Garjins of the Galaxy, which caused the hilarity.

I blamed the adding of the S.

PrincessOfChina Sat 23-Aug-14 08:42:19

I say both. Guar-de-ann for someone looking after another and guar-Jin for the paper.

HollyGuacamolly Sat 23-Aug-14 08:43:41

Same as figgy

FourEyesGood Sat 23-Aug-14 08:46:34

Gwar-zha(n)

Not really. Gar-dee-un, but if I say it fast it sounds like Gar-jun.

wigglesrock Sat 23-Aug-14 08:47:24

I say gar dee un for both.

chinamoon Sat 23-Aug-14 08:47:42

gah-dee-un for both.

PinkLemons are you American?

Euphemia Sat 23-Aug-14 09:01:33

Newspaper - gar dee un
Film - gard yins

Weird!

grin grin grin

Euphemia Sat 23-Aug-14 09:04:34

Okay - real West of Scotland test.

How do you say earth?

I say ehrth. Cos am frae Embra and speak properly.

DH is from Ayrshire and says uhrth.hmm

MTWTFSS Sat 23-Aug-14 09:05:45

Gar-dee-un

AuntieStella Sat 23-Aug-14 09:08:58

Reading the word in isolation would be gar-di-un, and I'd generally keep it 3 syllables in speech. But sometimes in spontaneous speech I'd assimilate it down to 2 syllables, in which case it becomes gar-djun.

Lots of words get altered by assimilation in ordinary speech, and it can be quite difficult to spot the actual phonetics unless you tape an actual spontaneous utterance and listen back. The classic example used in teaching linguistics is that everyone thinks they pronounce handbag as hand-bag, but if you tape a sentence (without saying why) it's almost universally spoken as ham-bag (because your mouth naturally assimilates ready for the bilabial 'b' sound).

prettybird Sun 24-Aug-14 15:45:31

Euphemia - I'm "posh" Bearsden/Milgavie Glasgow and say "urth" - but not gutterally iyswim. grin

Re the OP, I think I say "Gar-dyin" (with the emphasis on the Gar). Don't think the D softens into a J- but as a Scot, I definitely pronounce the R , which many English accents don't.

BikeRunSki Sun 24-Aug-14 15:47:52

Gruauniad smile

prettybird Sun 24-Aug-14 16:08:35

grin True!

RiffyWammal Sun 24-Aug-14 16:44:14

Guard-eun. I think. It doesn't even seem like a word anymore after reading this hmm

nousernamesleft Sun 24-Aug-14 16:52:01

Garjin.
And urth.
Ayrshire here too.

Vitalstatistix Sun 24-Aug-14 16:54:45

gar-Dee-an

MrsBungle Sun 24-Aug-14 16:54:46

South East Scotland here - gar-dee-an and ehrth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now