Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Why do people use bleach down toilets?

(86 Posts)
pippahooper Sat 23-Aug-14 00:04:47

It may sound like a dumb question but if you use bleach to clean your toilet why do you use bleach and not a fragranced toilet cleaner? To me bleach just smells gross. Went to someone's house tonight and she obviously just bleached it. Is it because its proven to kills germs, or is it because its cheaper or something else?

To make it clean.

To clean it. I like the smell

CheesyBadger Sat 23-Aug-14 00:09:33

But doesn't it just mask everything by bleaching it white instead of getting it off and go on to harm the environment.

Never understood it

LongFingers Sat 23-Aug-14 00:09:41

If they don't use a brush, they use bleach to hide the skids.

EBearhug Sat 23-Aug-14 00:10:11

Because it's cheap and it cleans. The point is to get it clean more than to smell nice. No point making it smell nice if it's not clean, and a clean toilet in an aired room shouldn't smell much at all.

Actually, I don't mind the smell of chlorine bleach. Reminds me of swimming pools.

snoggle Sat 23-Aug-14 00:10:50

Because it kills germs and doesn't turn my loo a nasty colour

VodkaJelly Sat 23-Aug-14 00:11:03

I use it to remove limscale, as I live in hardwater area I go through gallons of the stuff

VodkaJelly Sat 23-Aug-14 00:11:30

*limescale

WildThong Sat 23-Aug-14 00:11:54

Kills all germs.......dead

RaRaSkirtsForever Sat 23-Aug-14 00:12:03

I cannot find anything that cleans a toilet as well. I have tried everything, but nothing is anywhere near as good as bleach.

I actually prefer the smell of bleach to most toilet cleaners anyway, oh, and there is also the fact that bleach is so multi-purpose that I can use it all over the house. I am only buying one bottle of bleach rather than lots of other bottles of cleaner that fill up my cupboard.

I don't know who invented bleach but whoever they were, they were a genius..

EBearhug Sat 23-Aug-14 00:12:20

I find artificial smells more unpleasant - I know they're meant to smell nice, but to me they smell really cloying and artificial, whereas bleach just smells like chlorine, which is fine.

LetticeKnollys Sat 23-Aug-14 00:12:52

I use bleach and a brush, so there!

I dunno, it's where poo goes and is therefore the yuckiest thing in the house, so I use the most hardcore cleaning product I have in response. Makes sense dunnit?

RaRaSkirtsForever Sat 23-Aug-14 00:13:40

Aaaah Google you little miracle, Charles Macintosh invented bleach.

Bodberry Sat 23-Aug-14 00:14:28

It makes poo stains go away now we aren't allowed to use brushes.

As decreed by MN

LackaDAISYcal Sat 23-Aug-14 00:15:13

it kills germs, disinfencts and is relatively cheap. and it does come in different fragrances. I have some lemon scented stuff at the minute.

and the difference to the environment between bleach and the OP's preferred fragranced toilet cleaner...I would think they are both equally harmful.

I do clean the toilet with a brush (which I then disinfect and let air dry; no sitting in a pot of shitty water here) before using the bleach though, so not just masking stains

pippahooper Sat 23-Aug-14 00:15:37

I dunno I find all these cleaners claim to kill germs (or 99.9% of germs) so i just go for a cleaner with a nice fragrance, normally bloo. So I guess I put fragrance before complete 100% germ kill that bleach offers.

mammuzzamia Sat 23-Aug-14 00:18:24

Same as Bodberry. 'Tis not for the smell alone

GingerSkin Sat 23-Aug-14 00:19:24

Cheap, easy to use and doesn't make me loo look like a pretend blue waterfall. Ultimately it's a toilet, these toilet cleaners are ridiculous, in terms of cost and their apparent cleaning 'power'

Bleach kills germs. Fact.

pippahooper Sat 23-Aug-14 00:24:04

So its definitely the germ killing factor then for most of you then?

chockbic Sat 23-Aug-14 00:27:53

I use Harpic, mate.

And a brush.

mammuzzamia Sat 23-Aug-14 00:31:17

Though I might get some toilet cleaner, on the back of the thread, to use in between bleachings (just for the nice smell grin)

RaRaSkirtsForever Sat 23-Aug-14 00:31:28

Please tell me I am not the only one who uses the coloured bleach in the pink bottle who then panics when they wee, thinking they have kidney failure because everything has been dyed pinky red by the bleach?

Or is that just me who does that, every bloody time..

SnowPetrel Sat 23-Aug-14 00:34:18

LackaDAISYcal any scientific evidence for bleach and other toilet cleaners being equally harmful to the environment?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now