Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Tub sofas- are they comfortable?

(12 Posts)
AnyoneForTARDIS Fri 22-Aug-14 19:37:29

Exciting thread alert!

have to get rid of big squidgy sofa as we are moving and living room where we're going is tiny and sofa way too big for it.

someones having it but I need a smaller thing, I have a tub chair that's not too bad but I like to have a nap on a sofa ands so want something I can snuggle in on nap sitting up and head back.

are tub sofas okay for that? or should I get a 'regular' sofa a-la argos? thing is I cant find small sofas in any shops theyre all in catalogues so cant try them out.

Cornflakesnmilk Fri 22-Aug-14 19:43:02

I had a tub sofa and it was impossible to lie down on and be comfortable - it wasn't long enough to be able to stretch out on and the curvature simply rendered it useless for lying down on (because you had to curve your body!).

You couldn't even lie down on it with your legs hanging over the end because the side/end was too high and there wasn't enough depth to the sofa to allow you to fit on it. I'd never get one again.

I understand the space issue (as I had one for the same reason) but you'd be better getting a smaller regular sofa in my opinion.

AnyoneForTARDIS Fri 22-Aug-14 19:45:35

thanks. thought that would be the case.

ill pop into Harveys or DFS and see if they've got regular sofas (prob not they usually have those mahoosive corner things) and then try Argos or Tesco home as the furniture shops cost a bomb!

Cornflakesnmilk Fri 22-Aug-14 19:45:43

I'd honestly try and find one to sit/lie down on - mine was from Argos - but maybe JL or DFS have one that you can try out first? I don't want you to be as flipping uncomfortable as I was. Evenings (in front of the tv) were always a major disappointment!!

Cornflakesnmilk Fri 22-Aug-14 19:46:05

X post!

AnyoneForTARDIS Fri 22-Aug-14 19:47:32

yes, and me and DC like to snuggle up on it too so don't want to be fighting for space, nor sliding off it!!!

CeliaBowen Fri 22-Aug-14 19:54:18

Try your local Gumtree or facebook selling sites, you may be pleasantly surprised, and you can go and look before you buy. You can get a very good sofa for the same or far less than one from Argos. It will probably last better, too!

AnyoneForTARDIS Fri 22-Aug-14 19:55:41

thanks all.

will miss my big squidge!!!!!many a happy nap ive had on it! sad

CeliaBowen Fri 22-Aug-14 19:56:21

See this one Just as an example of what you can get for your money...
(Not my sofa, and I have no idea where you are in the country, I was just looking for an example) grin

AnyoneForTARDIS Sat 23-Aug-14 17:24:42

Cleia thanks but its just like the one we have now-ours is nicer though!

ill try and hang on to Squidge (as I call it) for as long as poss and just have to trail the furniture shops and try themn out.

thing is with qguidge, it looked smaller in the shop, as the shops so big it deceives the eye.

CeliaBowen Sat 23-Aug-14 20:19:45

Glad you liked it, although I wasn't really suggesting it as a style, just what you can get for your money - there are sofas of all kinds out there, and second-hand is a good way to get good value. smile

AnyoneForTARDIS Sun 24-Aug-14 17:23:25

TBH Id rather get a brand new one, as cheap as poss, you never know whats been on a used one!!!!

well person who wants mine wants it sooner than later.

might actually try and 'make ' a sofa.

got 2 large seat cushions from another one we used to have, just needs a base and a back and I may do it!

Im not too bad at the old DIY and have a design! failing that defo something comfortable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now