Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Have you overheard people talking about you? What did you do?

(33 Posts)
CeliaFate Fri 22-Aug-14 17:07:11

Years ago I overheard my sil slagging me off after my wedding. We had a registry office do and she was bitching that "it's a proper wedding, only took 5 minutes and there wasn't any reading or songs. There's not even a cake."
At the time I was hurt so I didn't respond and slunk away before she knew I was there. Now I'd hand her arse to her on a silver platter.

Have you overheard anyone talking about you? Did you let them know you'd heard them?

ShatnersBassoon Fri 22-Aug-14 17:16:23

Yes! The PTA. They didn't know I was outside the door and they were discussing how much I fancied the Head. I obviously didn't, I simply felt comfortable chatting to him when they didn't. I walked in and said "Good job it was only me that heard that, I'd hate to be the subject of gossip..."

It shut them up grin

amyhamster Fri 22-Aug-14 17:18:17

Op do you mean she said it isn't a proper wedding ?

amyhamster Fri 22-Aug-14 17:20:40

Omg shatners ! Would have loved to have seen their faces!

Spanglecrab Fri 22-Aug-14 17:22:46

I started this thread which is an overhearing story

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/a2165487-Ease-me-into-the-long-weekend-with-your-amusing-stories?msgid=49038641#49038641

Sorry to wedge it into you thread but I spent ages typing it on the phone and it disappeared straight away!

Mrsgrumble Fri 22-Aug-14 17:23:08

That's horrible op!

Mine is not the same but dh niece said 'my mummy said ...' Very personal and offensive comment. I know d niece could only have heard it from the mother. (sil) I never said anything. Dh asked my not to.

I don't visit them though. We when we meet at family events I try and avoid her.

I had all of her children as flowergirls, went out of my way to be nice. It really, really hurt.

It's very awkward though. Them always ask us to visit. She must know something is wrong.

AutumnshadesofGold Fri 22-Aug-14 17:27:12

Yes unfortunately. My colleagues at work. We are a small office and prior to this I had considered us all to be friends as well colleagues.
The shit hit the fan, formal warnings were given & 1 of them felt she was being punished wrongly so walked out!
It's taken me 2 years to drive past her (v small community) & not get goosebumps - she's a vile human being who hasn't a good word to say about anyone.
Work is still to this day uncomfortable & I can't forgive the others really, although she was the ringleader.
I had loved my job smile

CeliaFate Fri 22-Aug-14 17:28:39

amyhamster Oops yes, isn't a proper a wedding. blush

At university, I lived in a shared house. The guy who had the room next to me was a stereotypical student nightmare: a trustafarian who smoked dope incessantly, played songs badly on an acoustic guitar at 3am and never washed up.

I'd got a bit fed up of him leaving his dishes and pans next to the sink for weeks, full of rancid water, and asked him to wash them up. His argument was that we should each just do all of the washing up that happened to be there when we were using the sink. Obviously, he would do his bit (yeah, right).

The walls between the rooms were very thin. I was putting makeup on before going out one evening and heard him, clear as day, slagging me off to another housemate over the abovementioned argument.

I went next door and did indeed hand him his arse on a platter. He was very embarrassed. The unhygienic twonk.

flipflopsandcottonsocks Fri 22-Aug-14 17:35:52

I overheard my boss and a colleague being nasty about me once, so I walked out of the building, left them in the shit for the rest of the shift and for all of the shifts that I was scheduled to do after that. I refused to answer my phone or communicate with them and never went back. They left me grovelling apologies on my answerphone, but I had nothing to say to them and figured they were only doing it because they needed me to work as it was a busy place. Possibly a childish reaction but felt great!!

WiggleGinger Fri 22-Aug-14 17:41:17

Off topic a little but as I was reading this I heard my dd 'friend' standing at the door slagging dd off to a new friend!
Its all I could do to not say anything!
DH thinks I should leave it, I'm furious!!!

JuanPotatoTwo Fri 22-Aug-14 17:43:52

I was in a John Lewis lift once about 20 years ago with Ds1 in his buggy. Two elderly ladies started criticising, in welsh, my parenting technique - can't actually remember exactly what they said now, just remember being very upset. However, not as upset as they were after I defended myself and my inadequate parenting - also in welsh. I guess they thought they were safe since we weren't in Wales smile

TwelveGrimmauldPlace Fri 22-Aug-14 18:12:46

I overheard a group of colleagues talking about me a few years ago.

I was a receptionist in a hotel and £200 had went missing from the mornings take ins after the guests had checked out. I had spent hours going over everything but couldn't get the end of shift report to balance up, there was £200 cash missing completely. Our General manager went batshit, accused me of stealing from the company and made me empty my pockets and handbag in his office. I was in tears, I emptied all I had and there was no cash. He made me remove my socks and shoes too blush

Anyway, I went back downstairs to find one of the other managers (who was a long term family friend too) filling in the rest of the team members about me stealing money and that I was up in the bosses office getting sacked. She had no idea I was standing behind her and I can't remember exactly what I said, but I did announce that I hadn't been sacked yet but by all means if she thought I should be, please go and plead your case to the boss.

An hour or so later I went back through the cash up from the morning shift with a clearer head and found the missing money. It turns out the manager who was adamant I should be sacked had checked a guest out and put £200 payment through as cash when it was in fact a cheque they had paid with. Where was said cheque? In her pocket. hmm angry

Frontier Fri 22-Aug-14 18:19:59

At my sister's wedding I walked past a couple of her friends and heard them say " and she's got two young children"

I still don't know if they were saying how remarkably glamorous I looked, you know, considering, or if they'd found DH shagging in the loos.

NB: most likely scenario, something else completely.

I did have a proper tantrum about my boss and a colleague talking about me at work once and I had got completely the wrong end of the stick blush

JuanPotatoTwo i've had very similar, when we lived in Manchester with my small 2 and a couple were speaking in Welsh. Obviously thought I couldn't understand as I was speaking English to the kids in a non Welsh accent. So I reverted to using Welsh. Their faces were a picture

creamhearts Fri 22-Aug-14 18:23:51

I heard my manager and a colleague talking about not wanting to work with me once. I was very upset and went to another colleague who helped me to confront them.

areyoubeingserviced Fri 22-Aug-14 18:32:15

Bumas. Something similar happened to me.
I understand Urdu as I shared a house with a girl from Pakistan when I was at university.
I was in a local shop and I heard two elderly Pakistani women complaining about my tight skinny jeans etc .'
I told them in Urdu to mind their own business and that I could wear what the hell I liked.
The look on their faces was priceless.

cruikshank Fri 22-Aug-14 18:41:44

Not me, but on a work night out was in the bog chatting to a colleague. We were in separate cubicles so couldn't see each other or anyone else. She starts slagging off our supervisor and before I can say anything, up pipes a voice from a third cubicle saying 'I can hear every word you're saying, you know' - yes, you guessed it, it was the supervisor. Fucking stupid thing to do but we were all pissed.

annabanana19 Fri 22-Aug-14 18:47:09

2 days after mums funeral I went to my local bakery. I looked like shit, felt like shit. Eyes red, bags under my eyes and no make up.

Heard 2 old ladies saying "she must be on drugs. Look at her eyes" and I saw them looking at me and was the only customer in the shop. I blew up!

Went over, told them that my mum wasn't lucky enough to be growing old like the. And if she were lucky enough she certainly wouldn't be as bitchy as them.

Still see them to this day. Evil bags.

unlucky83 Fri 22-Aug-14 18:47:38

Nightmare flat mate - selfish, messy etc - and a big bloke - when the rest of us tried to talk to him he got all aggressive - especially towards the male flatmates...in fact he squared up to me once when (at the end of my patience) I told him something was unacceptable -didn't let him intimidate me ...and he backed right off...that was just after this and shortly before he left...
Anyway midweek he had been out picked someone up and was playing rave music at full volume at 2am. Rest of house had professional jobs had to be at work by 9 etc ..I went and knocked on his door and asked him to turn it down...he apologised and did - then he closed the door I heard him clearly say to the woman - 'silly cow' Its ok - I'll just turn it up again when she goes back upstairs' - and the woman tell him not to...and he didn't...
Next morning as I was coming down the stairs he was bring two cups of tea up - he said sorry about last night I was bringing you up a cup of tea to say sorry ...(hmm not for you and your 'friend' then?) I just said 'I heard what you said last night - don't bullshit me' and walked off

Also I worked somewhere where the manager used to lurk and listen... we (as silly teenage girls) had great fun taking about fictitious 'women's problems' in glorious detail or how eavesdroppers never hear good of themselves - followed by slagging him off grin

PPaka Fri 22-Aug-14 18:50:10

At work
A colleague had to go home and I took over for her on her computer.
Saw all her messages to another colleague slagging me off.
We were friends, we had been on holiday together. She was v sorry. I told boss and didn't want any repercussions but he had to give them a warning.
I was devastated and still not recovered really. I resigned shortly after.
Was a major turning point in my life, ask haven't really worked since and it's kinda ruined my references

unlucky83 Fri 22-Aug-14 18:57:09

Juan, bumas and Are you - similar happened to me ...
Breastfeeding DD1 outside a cafe in Edinburgh ...two young French girls walking past said 'look at that - should be done somewhere private, its disgusting etc'...
DP (French born) told them to mind their own business and not to be so rude - the look of shock and embarrassment on their faces was priceless...ha!

KnackeredMuchly Fri 22-Aug-14 18:57:23

Twice I've started to overhear people talk about me with a bitchy tone. I've let them know I could hear them.

We're all entitled to privacy and my life wouldn't be improved by hearing it.

I once overheard my husband complaining to my dad that his business was failing because I refused to do his accounts for him. They spent some time discussing how selfish I was. I was devastated - not least because it was completely untrue. I had been begging my husband to let me help for months but he refused. I pulled DH up there and then - but quietly as it was a family party.

nancy75 Fri 22-Aug-14 19:05:46

sitting in a cafe with my mum the women on the table next to us started to gossip about a house that had recently been sold in the local area ( a famous person bought it) they then went on to talk about the people that had owned the house, with one of the women acting as if she knew them - none of the stuff they were saying was very pleasant or in any way true. You have probably guessed the next bit - the people they were gossiping about were my Mum & Dad,
mum didn't want me to say anything but as we left I went over to the women and ever so sweetly said as you appear to know all about the people that live at x of y road I'm ever so surprised you didn't notice us sitting next to you the whole time we were talking.
The women both looked like I had pissed in their chips - they were very embarrassed I just walked of and left them to blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now