Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

ground floor extension - what do I need to remember to plan for?

(48 Posts)
DottyDot Fri 22-Aug-14 13:54:08

We're at the beginning of planning for a 3m extension across the back of our house next year - very exciting because the house is pretty small so this will make a huge difference.

As part of this, the kitchen is moving to the other side of the room and we're putting a utility room in, with loo.

We've got a builder and he's sorting out someone to come and do the plans with us.

So... what do I need to think about..?? We'll need a new kitchen and stuff for the utility room. I've started to look at flooring, kitchen tiles and radiators. We want bi-fold doors going across the back so I've started to look at those. Have been thinking about plug sockets too. Ooh I've also factored in that due to the extension, the shed will have to move grin

What else goes into plans and what else will I not think about that's really obvious...?? Have started a spreadsheet grin. Work hopefully being done in Spring 2015...

WellnowImFucked Fri 22-Aug-14 14:49:25

Somewhere for the bin to go...............sad

DottyDot Fri 22-Aug-14 14:50:31

oh god the bin!

Yes am planning for the bin plus all annoying recycling bins and the cat food dishes to go in the utility room (which at this rate will need to be bigger than the new kitchen...)

You need to decide where you want your cooker (for the electrics) an whether you want a hood, where the sink will go, drainage points and water supply for the sink, dishwasher and washing machine and also if you want an outside tap and a hole in the wall for a tumble drier.

Then think about the electrics - where light fittings will go, whether you want lights under cupboards, and how many plug sockets (top tip, think of the number you want and double it).

DottyDot Fri 22-Aug-14 15:53:03

Thanks! Yes we're moving the kitchen over to the other side of the room - away from the external wall and on to an internal wall, but a friend has advised that this is do-able, with pipes running under the floorboards...

Haven't planned it all out yet though - making a start this weekend..!

Dancingqueen17 Fri 22-Aug-14 18:06:45

If you can have a really tall cupboard where you can keep mop, broom and Hoover, I always find them difficult to find a home for!

DottyDot Fri 22-Aug-14 18:30:24

ooh yes - we currently have those items scattered throughout the house - good idea to have a tall cupboard in the utility room if possible then!

I've got a couple of pull out slide-y cupboards in the kitchen which I love, so definitely need a couple of those in the new kitchen, but I don't think Ikea do them. They do shorter versions but I like the full length ones. Will need to investigate...

Bouttimeforwine Fri 22-Aug-14 18:37:36

Somewhere to hang the tea towel and hand towel up.

Storage, storage and more storage! Tidying everything away makes a space so much bigger.

Send me your house dimensions by pm if you want and I'll do you up a little plan to show you the kind of space you could achieve.(I'm an architect by the way, not just a randomer!)

annabanana19 Fri 22-Aug-14 18:52:24

Also remember the telephone socket and sky cable

B&Q do 60cm wide full height pull out larder units. You can get a lot in one of those.

If you like natural flooring then I'd recommend natural slate. It is very lovely and has a nice natural variation to it - ours is like a little geology lesson sometimes where you can see little dimples, or quartz(?) crystals, it's really quite lovely. Because it's dark it also hides the dirt so you don't have to clean it every day.

DottyDot Fri 22-Aug-14 19:54:52

oooh Sweet really?! Will do my measuring tomorrow and pm you - thank you so much!

Tea towel - yes - at the moment it's over the built in oven handle, which is OK but would be good if there was somewhere else!

Storage - definitely! It's what we have none of and it drives me BONKERS... I want to get as much crap as possible tucked away in the utility room and then everything else inside cupboards. At the moment, things are piled up on top of cupboards and on surfaces -I want it all tucked away!

DottyDot Fri 22-Aug-14 19:56:04

not sure about slate - maybe too cold and hard <wuss>

We'll probably end up with laminate - oak - the best I can get but our budget is limited so I'll have to start getting practical at some point grin

cardamomginger Fri 22-Aug-14 20:06:30

Underfloor heating?

Lighting. Make sure that you don't have steel girders going running through where you want your lighting to go. We struggled grin.

Central island? Can be useful, but can also take up space if you want a separate table for eating, or somewhere to chuck conservatory-style chairs for sitting and contemplating.

Kitchen drawers vs cupboards. We have switched to drawers. Easier to get things in and out, but I can fit less in that I could with a cupboard because of needing to leave room for the mechanism. Think about depth of cupboards. We have lots of cupboards in our central island which are hard to use properly because of the depth.

How are you going to decide on the colour scheme? We decided on the colour of the granite first and then fit everything else round that. We found it really helpful to make a decision about the most important/obvious thing (I was very clear about what type of granite I wanted) as it makes it less overwhelming.

The biggest thing I'd say to think about is window coverings. We have floor length windows in our kitchen and a complicated folding French window type thing that goes round a bay. It has been an absolute bugger to find window covering for these due to size, curve of the bay, length and the frame depth. And make sure you have enough easily openable windows. We don't - we only have 2 small ones aside from having to open the folding doors - and it is a problem.

Good luck! It's really exciting!

HoneyTits Sat 23-Aug-14 10:01:04

Ooh very exciting! Sorry I can't think of anything useful to add but I'm also getting a ground floor extension with en suite wetroom. I've had the surveyor out so now just waiting for the architect to come out to draw up their plans. I cant wait for it to be done but its taking longer than I thought it would (was hoping work would have already started by now). Hopefully by this time next year though...

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 23-Aug-14 10:02:37

Re electrics, also think about if you want an outside socket or two, good for mowing the lawn etc.

RubySparks Sat 23-Aug-14 10:10:27

Think about how extension will affect the rest of the house in terms of things like new doors, flooring, redecorating and also the garden - if you need to repave or use gravel outside.

sighsloudly Sat 23-Aug-14 10:11:11

definately save enough to move out for two weeks whilst they are taking out old kitchen fitting new one. we have just done what you have done and we didn't move out and it was so hard feeding the family with no water,washing machine and cooking equipment for over three weeks. but we managed on a diet of breakfast bars and take away but if we had to do it again we would definately move out.

Staywithme Sat 23-Aug-14 10:28:46

Lots and lots of sockets. If your family is anything like mine you'll find the kettle, toaster, etc unplugged because their phone, laptop, iPad, etc needs charged. It'll save on the rage when you realise you can't have that quick cupa before you rush of to work. sad

A macerator to stop stuff from blocking the sink, but be careful to educate the little ones and DH not to drop cutlery down it and try to remove while it's still plugged in!

Make sure you chose the right windows so you haven't just spent ££££ on a lovey new window with top openers then you are standing there working at the sink with a great white line of PVC directly in your line of vision sob.

Cat/dog flap? If needed, get this done when windows are being made so your not spending most of the day standing at the door while your cat decides if she wants out/in/out/in screaaaaaam! Make up your bleeden mind!

Somewhere for the family to chuck their shoes, coats, bags when they first come in. So you don't trip over the bleeden things while carrying a cup if coffee, mush to their amusement. angry

I think I may be making this MY wish list. blush

DottyDot Sat 23-Aug-14 14:12:42

ooh thanks all - much appreciated and yes it's very exciting grin.

Yes I've got a 'garden' tab on my spreadsheet - we'll need to get rid of the shed thank god and get the outside bit patioed/paved. Would love to do the rest of the garden but will have run out of money by then, no doubt, so that'll be in a few more years' time.

Yes to sockets - will factor in waaaaay too many so that there are (hopefully) just enough.

Cat flap - yes we've got one but as that door's coming down I must put a new one on the list grin

SylvaniansKeepGettingHoovered Sat 23-Aug-14 14:36:52

Regarding the bifold doors, make sure you also have a window that you can open! My friend has lovely bifold doors across the back of the house but has no window, and she finds it very annoying in winter when she wants to let a bit of air into the house but she has to open the entire door and can't just leave a window ajar.

An outside tap and a plug socket outside. Our outside plug socket is useful when mowing the lawn. It has a plastic lift-up cover over it to protect it.

When we had our extension, the type of cooker was quite big decision - do you want a range style cooker, a built-in cooker, gas or electric or dual fuel, do you want it a eye-level or below the worktop etc.

We lived in the house while they did it. It's very very hard! At one point we were washing up the dishes in the bath. We lived off microwave food.

DottyDot Sat 23-Aug-14 16:12:59

Hmm - we're having 3 x velux windows in the roof but they'll probably be pains to open too... Will have to think about that grin

Re: the cooker - we've got a double electric oven and separate gas hob at the moment and I'm happy with that so will probably do the same. I'd like the microwave integrated though, to get it off the worktop. Not sure if you can get a built in one as well as the double oven, but am going to have a look!

Definitely haven't factored in moving out while it's being done but I can see it's probably the sane thing to do. Will have to have a think about where we can do - and what do you do with all your stuff? Did you put stuff in storage..? We've got our piano and computer in the current back room. Aaarrggghhhh....

cardamomginger Sat 23-Aug-14 23:50:19

We have a built in oven with built in microwave above it. Both by Bosch. My oven is a pyrolytic. God I love it.

DottyDot Mon 25-Aug-14 17:23:41

I saw our builder yesterday by chance (he's kind of a family friend now, having done work on both our families' houses for the past 8 years!) and dropped in about wanting a window as well as the bifold doors. He didn't blink... grin

I mentioned about wanting 10 foot doors which threw him into a bit of a tailspin though, as he'd quoted us a price for 8'. Not sure whether to go for the 8 foot or pay more for 10 foot. Sigh.

He's also talking about us needing a pillar because we're opening up the back of the house. He could put steel joists in but that would cost more...

I think we'll end up having 2 quotes, the one we can afford with pillars and all sorts and the one we can't where everything's perfect...

If you get steel fabrication done you ought to get a Civil Engineer to draw up plans. We decided to have a massive window in our back wall which meant vast amounts of steel and a Civil Engineer to draw plans and specifications for the fabrication.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now