Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

Where have you taken DC over the summer holidays?

(31 Posts)
Sylviesleep Fri 22-Aug-14 11:36:11

I've just been chatting to a neighbour who told me that every day during the holidays she has taken her DD on an outing e.g. Farm, theme park, soft play plus a weeks holiday in a camper van. They haven't had one day where they have simply stayed at home or just visited family or a walk to the park.

This has made me feel really crap ... Because although we have had a visit to the zoo, a play area day, a public transport day and a visit to a nature reserve most of our days have been visiting family or to the local park/ library or simply staying at home. We have had a weeks holiday to Majorca too and are hoping (depending on DHs work) to get away to the coast this weekend.

But there is no way that I could afford to take DSs on a pay for outing every single day!

So, I'm just interested to hear how you gave spent your summer holidays.

TaperJeanGirl Fri 22-Aug-14 11:42:19

We def have t been out every single day, I'd be shattered! We have been chessington, zoo, hobbledown farm, Brighton, Southend a couple of times, few fun day type events at local parks, some parks a bit further afield with lots of friends, they have done their usual bits and bobs they do like their martial arts and boat club, but I have to break up the bigger days out with garden days/craft days, or not only would I be skint, I'd be half dead!smile

TaperJeanGirl Fri 22-Aug-14 11:43:44

No holiday for us this year either, as we moved house and had a babyshock

Absolutely nowhere! sad

I had surgery just before the start of the holidays, had a cottage booked for 3 weeks ago but was re-admitted 2 days before we were due to go and have been here ever since.

The hospital is an hour from home so DH is fitting in coming every day with looking after the DCs.

They've had an awful summer!

longtallsally2 Fri 22-Aug-14 11:47:13

You have done loads (lots more than we have) - and can be happy that you also have a home and a family that you enjoy spending time in - and you are teaching your children that it's OK to chill out at home too. Maybe your neighbour just doesn't like being in her home.

Sylviesleep Fri 22-Aug-14 11:48:24

flowers Sauvignon - hope you get better soon!

IndridCold Fri 22-Aug-14 11:48:56

Apart from going to France for two weeks, we have taken DS (15) to the big army surplus place in Plymouth and to a farm walk at a place that breeds beavers and water voles for re-introduction into the wild - both free grin.
He also went fishing with a friend.

That's it!

BeCool Fri 22-Aug-14 11:53:48

my 2DC (3 & 6) had 2 weeks with our CM doing all sorts of activities: art, parks, Wetland Centre visit as well as just some down days chilling and playing together.

Then they had 2 weeks with me on a Spanish beach holiday - where things were very relaxed, beach most days, we didn't visit any attractions or anything (I had planned to before we went but I CBA when we got there). We visited friends, played with other children, waterfights, fiesta etc, went to the beach, chilled in the villa.

Now they have 2 weeks with XP and he has taken them to stay with friends, and I think he is taking them to Legoland (great as I never want to go there ever) and perhaps Chessington. They will also have time with his family.

I like to go to Whipsnade zoo every summer but we haven't had time to do that this year - maybe I will take 1st September off work and go then - or a weekend soon. It is expensive but IMO it's one of the best family days out on offer.

So they have had a pretty busy summer, lots of fun, but also lots of space to play by themselves which they do really well given the space/chance. They have also watched a bit of TV - perhaps an hour a day towards the end of the day.

I don't do soft play (see Legoland above).

Kantha Fri 22-Aug-14 11:53:48

I actually think your neighbour's approach is doing her child a disservice. It's good for children to have time at home pottering about. They need to be able to amuse themselves, it's a life skill.

Some of the happiest moments this holidays have been when my children have been completely absorbed blowing bubbles for forty minutes, or when them got into a two hour game of pirates in their room and told me to go away because they were playing on their own. shockgrin They are 6&3 if that makes any odds.

Don't feel bad, it sounds like your holidays have been lovely.

BeCool Fri 22-Aug-14 11:55:52

Don't feel bad OP and remember "Comparison is the thief of joy".

bakingaddict Fri 22-Aug-14 11:57:18

Oh dont worry what you have done sounds great. I also think its important for kids to have downtime too. With my eldest who is 6 and a real homebody you cant plan too many big days out. He can go 2 - 3 days with lots of activity but then needs a day too just potter in the garden or play with his toys

sausagefortea Fri 22-Aug-14 12:00:07

I was just feeling the same guilt. I've been mostly having to work. Luckily I can work from home and they pretty much entertain themselves (junior age) They've seen friends a few times, we've gone to the garden centre and the shops (!), they did go on a zorbing thing while we were at the shops which was great fun.....but apart from that, going to grandmas it's been us in the house. They are real home bodies and just want to be at home. It suits me too. But then I see friends FB updates and everyone seems to be doing soooo much fun stuff. Mine have built a lovely world on minecraft though and put me in their love garden!

Sandiacre Fri 22-Aug-14 12:01:43

Your holiday sounds fine, we will have had two weeks away almost and have had a few days trips out. Everyone adult and child needs time to relax its getting the balance right. We have always done quite a lot with DS but every day for six weeks seems daft.

We made chocolate brownies yesterday and DS went to the park at the end of our road with a friend for two hours. My friend Popped round and we chatted and ate still warm brownies and drank coffee for three hours. A very enjoyable day.

Leeds2 Fri 22-Aug-14 12:03:49

My DD is 16, so we don't really do arranged days out anymore.

When she was younger though, we certainly didn't go out every day as I genuinely believe that children need to learn to entertain themselves. Not all the time, but certainly for some of it. They also need down time, and time to recharge their batteries before doing the next activity.

I don't think your neighbour is doing her children any favours if I'm honest. Your summer sounds preferable, to me.

kelda Fri 22-Aug-14 12:07:20

I'm quite surprised that there are so many places around for them to visit. Could she be exaggerating?

It sounds like you've had plenty of trips and a foreign holiday.

ASpiderInTheBath Fri 22-Aug-14 12:11:33

We're really lucky as there's a decent amount of free stuff to do near us - x2 big country parks (one in particular is spectacular with loads to do, couldn't see everything in one day and only cost is the car park), free swimming, library reading challenge, lots of good beaches as live near the coast, two lovely nature reserves, decent parks etc etc. We've done a few pricey day trips but honestly I think the dc have to have down time, just chilling out and reading, playing, doing arts and crafts, baking etc. They have to learn to entertain themselves and not constantly be amused, it's good for them. We're having a day in today. They've both enjoyed sorting their rooms and have been happily playing with their cars for an hour.

Stinkle Fri 22-Aug-14 12:16:20

We're quite lucky in that there's loads of free stuff around me so we've been out most days.

We've been to Chessington, had a sight seeing day in London and done a couple of the local attractions, but apart from that it's been beach/parks/walking the dog type stuff.

SenatusPopulusqueRomanorum Fri 22-Aug-14 12:20:31

We spent one day at a fun park (using all the money we got from selling baby stuff last year).
We went to the swimming pool once.
And that's all. There is nothing to do where we live, I don't drive and DH has worked very long hours all summer. For the last 10 days or so we have been picking blackberries and making jam.

TeaAndALemonTart Fri 22-Aug-14 12:25:14

Dies it really matter, as, long as you've enjoyed your summer it's totally pointless comparing with anyone else's.

muffliato Fri 22-Aug-14 12:59:12

We've spent the majority of the holiday pottering about at home, with two theme park visits, a couple of visits to farms and soft play. And family visits too.
I made sure that we had one fun day out a week.

Dd seems to have had a fun summer and although I was dreading it at the start thinking she would be bored and tantrummy, she has really surprised me and I don't want the holiday to end.

You have done a lot with your kids. In my view they need down time just slobbing as my dd was knackered after the school year.

Thanks Sylvie smile

seaofloom Fri 22-Aug-14 15:42:34

I have friends like your neighbour. They don't seem able to just....relax and do not-very-much.

Every holiday and every weekend is filled up with trips to far and wide places, kids in tow.

All accompanied by an album of photos on facebook of course. It exhausts me just looking at them grin

peaz Fri 22-Aug-14 15:53:16

We've had our holiday already (May) so this summer ds1 has been to a football match and has gone camping for a weekend. Days out have included a day at a farm (fils birthday), theatre, a day up London, a couple of days with the extended family, a day to go and see my brother, and a few day around the house. Next week DS1 is doing a football course. Most of our days put have been during the two weeks that DH has taken off.

Last year we pretty much ate out every day for two weeks did a lot more stuff and had a haven break and that broke us, financially. This year we have reigned it in significantly (eaten out once, less payable attractions, spread the cost) but we are still skint. We did fork out about £200 for a fortnight of crash courses in swimming for ds1 but I don't really count that in the holiday spending.

My neighbour did comment on my FB that we were doing a lot but I had family over from the states so it stood to reason that we were busy that week. But this weekend involves tidying the house, shopping for uniform and gardening.

CointreauVersial Fri 22-Aug-14 16:30:20

DH and I both work full time, but we've done a mixture of things to fill the summer. We had 10 days in Cornwall, then the DDs went for a five day PGL Activity holiday with their cousins, and are going to DM's for a few days next week with their other cousins. We have had the odd day off, and taken them swimming, shopping, to AirHop, TopGolf and so on...but they have also had four or five days just slobbing at home in PJs while I go to work. DS, being a little older, takes himself off with friends to do various things.

I think it is nice to do a few trips, but also it is OK if they just chill at home sometimes. Plenty to do at home - baking, watch a movie, trampolining etc.

nikki1978 Fri 22-Aug-14 16:38:32

My DC would be very upset if I tried to do this with them. They love their days at home.

We have been camping with friends at the start of the hols and I work 2.5 days a week so they are with their grandparents then doing various things like long walks and the farm. The other days we have been at home. They potter and play lego for hours on end. I tidy and have been doing lots of work on the garden.

I don't see any shame in that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now