Threads in this topic are removed 90 days after the thread was started.

My mum has been taken to hospital [sad]

(353 Posts)

I don't know what to do with myself. I am beyond worry.

Got a call from my Mum while I was at work, she was in tears. She had some blood taken yesterday at GP due to many minor illnesses/ issues in the past few years. They called her this afternoon telling her to go to hospital immediately as her immune system is dangerously low. They asked if she had anyone with her.

She didn't sad My Dad had taken DS to cinema.

Poor mum was incoherent & sobbing. They said it could be very serious.

I came straight home from work & by the time I got to Mum's, Dad was home with DS. They have gone to hospital, she has been referred to cancer ward.

I can't stop crying. My poor mum.
DH has come home from work early. My DSis is away, my Aunt has Alziemers & Mum looks after her. So I'm now looking after her.

I'm rambling. Sorry.

Dad text before saying they were waiting to be seen.

I've never seen my Mum so scared.

weegiemum Thu 21-Aug-14 18:08:49

I've no idea what to say, but I'm thinking of you and your mum xxx

Playdoughcaterpillar Thu 21-Aug-14 18:09:13

Oh no, your poor mum and you.
Hope you get some good news soon.

thanks Best wishes to your mum

BringMeSunshine2014 Thu 21-Aug-14 18:09:45

<hug>

<bigger hug>

I'm glad your DH is with you, could mind DS and your Aunt so you can go to the hospital to wait with your parents and maybe bring your Dad home - they're likely to want your Mum to stay in overnight.

I hope they find something up with her immune system that they can treat easily and quickly - I'll be keeping everything crossed for her xx

LuluJakey1 Thu 21-Aug-14 18:09:46

How awful. You must be very frightened. Try not to panic. You don't know what it is yet and even if it is some sort of cancer, most are very treatable now.

Hope your mum gets good news.

chinam Thu 21-Aug-14 18:11:21

Aw I'm sorry. I hope your mum gets the help she needs.

MagratsHair Thu 21-Aug-14 18:11:43

Sorry to hear this lass

The waiting is more scary than the knowing sometimes. If it is cancer then its been caught & will be treated.

I hope you're OK brew

mrssmooth Thu 21-Aug-14 18:14:06

Sorry to hear that lass. I really hope your mum is OK and gets the help she needs x

Thanks all
My Aunt still lives by herself but calls every 30 mins or so. I had to call to tell her & she was worried about her shopping tomorrow.
I haven't gone into a lot of detail with her, it was hard not to cry. But it is best for now if she doesn't know everything.

Dad has driven mum to hospital & he won't leave her. I'll possibly go through later. It's a major hospital in our area (although an hour away).

I feel helpless. My parents are 70, but they are so young in their outlook. They took DS to London last month for weekend. This just seems impossible.

I appreciate your kind words & i hope we get answers soon x

Thinking of you thanks

Aww hugs, hope everything is going to be alright.

Sending positive thoughts to you all xx

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 21-Aug-14 18:30:21

The shock of that sort of thing is awful.
I hooe you have someone to look after you too xxxx.

NorksEnormous Thu 21-Aug-14 18:41:39

I hope all is ok with your mum

LottieJenkins Thu 21-Aug-14 18:47:18

Sending love hugs and prayers to you all xx xx

50KnockingonabiT Thu 21-Aug-14 18:53:05

Thinking of you all X

Thank you.
My mum is the most caring, nurturing person I know. She will never let anyone be alone at Christmas/ Easter/ New Year, we regularly have 14/15 people for these days, she loves to cook, to make people feel less alone.

She gave up supply teaching (she has retired) when I had DS so I could go back to work. I would never of made it through PND without her. She would anything for anyone.

She is the most lovely person I know x

DrankSangriaInThePark Thu 21-Aug-14 18:58:45

Fingers crossed that you get some good news soon. Try not to worry. <stupid advice of day>
We are all here to handhold.

TobyZiegler Thu 21-Aug-14 18:59:10

I'm sorry OP. Stay strong.

Becca19962014 Thu 21-Aug-14 19:04:12

I'm sorry to hear this OP. Fingers crossed they find something that can be treated, quickly and easily. I know my local cancer ward deals with everything blood related. Keeping you in my thoughts.

ImNotCute Thu 21-Aug-14 19:19:57

So sorry you're going through this, I've been there myself- sadly both my parents received cancer diagnoses in their mid 60s.

Waiting to hear what you're dealing with is tough. Whatever it is your mum should get great care and there will be support available for family members too. If you need info or someone to talk it through with the Macmillan website and helpline are great.

If it is cancer there is a huge range of different cancers, some much less worrying than others- so try not to panic too much just yet.

There may be some tough times ahead but you'll get through this, best wishes to you and your family x

sandgrown Thu 21-Aug-14 19:25:35

Best Wishes to you and your mumflowers

0pheliaBalls Thu 21-Aug-14 19:29:42

Oh no, I'm so so sorry you're all having to go through this. Your mum sounds like a wonderful, kind lady and you're so fortunate to have such a lovely, close relationship. I'm really, really hoping that everything turns out ok. Thinking of you thanks

temporaryusername Thu 21-Aug-14 19:33:50

Thinking of you and your family OP, hoping things turn out ok thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now